You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Eric Storm
  •  » The diamonds at the end of sentences and paragraphs in stories

#1 2023-05-20 15:28:46

pepsiguy1
Inebriated

The diamonds at the end of sentences and paragraphs in stories

I'm pretty sure why there are diamonds at the end of sentences and paragraphs showing up. On a hunch the last story I summited, Emily's New Teaching Job, Chapter 13, I made sure not to leave any extra spaces at the end of sentences or paragraphs. I just checked my last story and found it still a few diamonds. When I looked at the chapter I had saved in Microsoft Word format I found I missed a few of the extra spaces. They all lined up with the diamonds on the posted chapter. Probably the easiest fix is to let contributors know not to leave an extra space between sentences or paragraphs. Then again maybe not so easy to do as I tried to do that and still missed a few spots.

I know you have been trying to figure out how to fix the problem. Hope this helps in finding a fix.

Thanks for you site,
Pepsiguy1

#2 2023-05-20 22:07:25

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: The diamonds at the end of sentences and paragraphs in stories

Better solution:  For Microslut to get its head out of its ass and do a proper conversion to HTML.  They've had 20+ years and still can't do it.

When you save as HTML, do you save just "as HTML", or do you save as "HTML for the Web" (or whatever they're calling it now... "HTML, Filtered" is what it used to be...)

When Word saves a file as just "HTML", it's not clean HTML.  It saves it in such a way that Word can easily continue editing it.  This introduces a whole bunch of shit into the HTML file.

HTML Filtered (or whatever they call it now) strips out all of the Word-specific garbage.  It usually makes the file about 1/3 smaller.  Now, I have no idea if it will fix this issue or not.  The diamonds are caused by the browser not recognizing the character it sees.  I'm not sure why that happens, given that the pages are expecting UTF-8, which contains pretty much every character anyone would ever encounter, but...  *shrugs*  Old site technology is probably the culprit.  But if Word was doing its job correctly, those extra spaces would be converted to the character entity " " (a "non-breaking space"), which all browsers recognize just fine.

I'm not a fan of telling people not to leave extra spaces, because I still believe in the "two spaces between sentences" rule.  Supposedly this is not important now that we have proportional fonts... but this seems like truly backward thinking to me.  The whole point of the second space was to make it more visually obvious that a sentence had ended.  With proportional fonts, spaces are much smaller than they used to be, meaning that there's only a tiny space between sentences if you only use one of them.

An option you might want to try is, instead of letting Word do the conversion to HTML, use a conversion service such as CloudConvert.  They will convert directly from doc/docx/docm/odt/rtf to HTML, and it will be better HTML than what Word leaves you with.  No guarantees it will fix all the problems, but it should give better results.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2023-05-30 14:20:08

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

FWIW - - - there is at least one standard special character used extensively by MSWord that is not recognized by this system: the right SMART-quote (”, &#8221, �), which doesn't make sense as the LEFT smart-quote (&ldquo, &#8220, “) IS recognized, as is the double-prime (&prime, &#8243, ″).

Last edited by darthel0101 (2023-05-30 16:39:45)

#4 2023-05-31 10:10:48

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Who said any of this made sense?  If the browsers - ANY of them - would focus on standards FIRST and features SECOND (and release schedule a DISTANT, DISTANT third), maybe we'd get stuff that worked right.

Of course, if they stuck rigidly to standards, I'd have to rework this site somehow, because the nature of the way stories are displayed is very non-standards-compliant.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

• Index
  •  » Eric Storm
  •  » The diamonds at the end of sentences and paragraphs in stories

Board footer