The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-08 01:20:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

New Forum Feature #2

Okay, so, I realize that the spoiler tag may not be useful in all situations, because it forms a "block" of text, rather than keeping things inline, and you might only need to obscure a sentence, or even a word or two, and the spoilers box is really unusable for that.

Enter out of focus text.  It looks like this: Ha-ha!  Made you look!

Here's how that effect is achieved:

Code:

As you're typing along, you use [o]an o to indicate the text you want out of focus[/o].  It works just like bold, italic, and underline.

(The above code would look like this: "As you're typing along, you use an o to indicate the text you want out of focus  It works just like bold, italic, and underline.")

I used "o" because "b" was obviously already taken, and I wanted to keep a one-character code.  So, just think of it as "out of focus". 

Now, here's the nifty part:  You want to read the out of focus text?  Just point at it with your cursor, and voila! clear, focused text!  (Note to mobile users:  Simply tap the out-of-focus text to read it, and tap elsewhere to re-blur it.)

Again, I'm aware this solution isn't perfect.  I'm only doing it because it's quick.  I don't really want to be putting extra effort into this version of the site; I should be spending whatever programming energies I have on version 2.0.

I have added the 'o' tag to the help page, so if you don't remember what it's called, you can check there.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2022-12-08 02:39:36

Hakhazar
Inebriated

Re: New Forum Feature #2

Very nice!

#3 2022-12-09 12:00:50

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Not working for my phone when I try to tap on it. Going to guess cause it’s apple

#4 2022-12-10 13:16:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

1. Shame on you for using an Apple product.
2. If you highlight the blurred text, it will become visible.  Highlighting is usually done by a long-press, followed by dragging to highlight the desired text.  Being an Apple product, this probably isn't how they do it, because they have this thing about disliking standards.

This "trick" is performed by making the text transparent, and using a text-shadow to produce the blur effect.  Thus, the text is still able to be highlighted and copied; it's just styled in a way to make it hard to read.

Oh, and as a heads-up warning to anyone using Amazon's Silk browser:  at least on my tablet, it doesn't recognize any portion of this trick.  It doesn't make the text transparent, it doesn't add the text-shadow ("blur").  It just shows you normal text.  So, at least it's not breaking the ability to read the post, but it's not hiding it for you, either.

As I said, this was a quick-and-dirty trick, which was the only reason I did it.  So long as no one is entirely prevented from reading the blurred text, I'm not going to bother "fixing" anything.  (Do let me know if you can't even highlight the text to read it...)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2022-12-11 12:00:52

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Was able to get it to work. Thanks

#6 2022-12-11 15:23:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

thehilz wrote:

Was able to get it to work. Thanks

Got yourself an Android device, did you?  3dtongue  hehehe

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer