The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#251 2023-05-04 04:10:50

goldragon69
Inebriated

Re: Agent of Change

Just write sex partner behind every females name and Nick will get around to them eventually.  Nick did more than clean her pool he cleaned her pipes too.  As usual I loved the chapter.  LOL.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#252 2023-05-21 05:00:51

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

I have read, re-read, and re-read again a number of your series, but for some reason, I am only now getting to Agent of Change.
I am really enjoying your story, but I wonder just how far you are intending to take it.

I just have to comment on the below quote from Ch15:
"Women would be advanced calculus.  Done only in base 33.  Without a calculator."
FIRST : ROFLMGDAO ! ! ! !
Second and only as a side note: I love the imagery, but there is an actual historical numbering system that was not base 10; IIRC, the Sumerians used base 60 - in cuniform.
The difference is only cosmetic, however.

(posted from Chapter 15)

#253 2023-05-21 13:47:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

First and foremost, I'm glad you are enjoying the story.

The Babylonians also used base 60.  They are responsible for our 24-hour day with its 60 minutes per hour and 60 seconds per minute, as well as the 60 minutes in a degree, etc.

And those were not the only non-base-10 system ever used.  The Mayans used base 20 (apparently because they were barefoot all the time, thus had access to toes for counting on), and the Egyptians used base 12 (because they counted on knuckles, not fingers.)  And Roman numerals are... are... um... base... uh...  I'm not sure they have a base.  3dsmile  (Non-positional number systems are weird.)

Even today, non-base-10 is common.  Computer programmers will be familiar with both binary (base 2), and hexadecimal (base 16) number systems.  Older programmers will be familiar with octal (base 8).  Encryptionists will be familiar with all sorts of different number base systems.

I picked base 33 because it sounded hard.  I should have picked base 31 or base 37.  Then the basis would have been a prime number, meaning the system base could not be evenly divided at all.  I may change that in a re-edit of that chapter at some point.
3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

PS:  As an aside, base 10 is horrible for dividing, too.  It can only be divided by 5 and 2.  This is why some people have lobbied for a base-12 system, since it can be divided by 2,3,4, and 6, and still has few enough digits to be counted on a body part (since that's how children learn to count).

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#254 2023-05-21 13:49:04

Elessar
Completely Blotto

darthel0101 wrote:

I have read, re-read, and re-read again a number of your series, but for some reason, I am only now getting to Agent of Change.

I would refer you to CAMP: Ron's Journey and then CAMP: Sibling Rivalry for some long detailed work of his. He says he rambled and could and should have ended them early, I think they are genius.

darthel0101 wrote:

Second and only as a side note: I love the imagery, but there is an actual historical numbering system that was not base 10; IIRC, the Sumerians used base 60 - in cuniform.
The difference is only cosmetic, however.

(posted from Chapter 15)

Crazy bit about this, is the Egyptians used base 12 with one hand. Using each knuckle on one hand as a number. I KNEW of it, but apparently there really is 3 knuckles in your thumb.

#255 2023-05-21 13:59:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Elessar wrote:

I would refer you to CAMP: Ron's Journey and then CAMP: Sibling Rivalry for some long detailed work of his. He says he rambled and could and should have ended them early, I think they are genius.

Not sure what grudge you've got against darthel, but that could be considered cruel and unusual punishment...

Crazy bit about this, is the Egyptians used base 12 with one hand. Using each knuckle on one hand as a number. I KNEW of it, but apparently there really is 3 knuckles in your thumb.

Um......

1.  No, there are not three knuckles in your thumb.
2.  The Egyptians did not use the thumb for counting.  You have FOUR fingers, each with THREE knuckles.   4 x 3 = 12.  I don't know why they didn't use the thumb, which would have resulted in base 14... then again, base 14 is as nasty to divide as base 10, so maybe that was their thinking.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#256 2023-05-21 23:38:12

thehilz
Completely Blotto

I find the CAMP stories enjoyable myself as well Eric. They may not be your best work but I’ll reread them once every couple of years. Now there are stories of yours I find myself rereading every year. Speaking of it’s about time for a Woodward reread which I think is your best completed work so far.(WMR is a very close second)

#257 2023-05-22 02:49:10

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

Elessar wrote:

Not sure what grudge you've got against darthel, but that could be considered cruel and unusual punishment...

Eric Storm

Although the Camp stories are not my favorites of the works that you have produced so far, they are far from the least favorite.
I really enjoy re-reading "Warmth of a Touch", "Dragonseekers", "Woodward Academy", "Artifacts I", "Cruel Timing", "Program Alpha-Omega", and a few others, as well as the non-canon WA stories that you have in these forums.
Regarding "Ron's Journey" & "Sibling Rivalry", the stories might have rambled a bit, but what ramble there might have been did not detract from the storylines from what I remember.

#258 2023-05-22 05:28:25

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

darthel0101 wrote:

I really enjoy re-reading "Warmth of a Touch", "Dragonseekers", "Woodward Academy", "Artifacts I",

You don't like Artifacts II?

Regarding "Ron's Journey" & "Sibling Rivalry", the stories might have rambled a bit, but what ramble there might have been did not detract from the storylines from what I remember.

It's funny that people think it's the rambling that makes me hate CRJ.  It's not the rambling.  That came from inexperience and a lack of planning.  You can see I still sometimes suffer from that second point by reading Agent of Change, which is already my longest book ever, with no end in sight.

But I dislike CRJ because of both the quality of the writing, and the plot itself.  The characters were too powerful, and the plot is full of holes.  Hell, the entire Spirit Realm was created to shut up a very vocal group of irate fans...  (Nice to have fans, but not when they're pissed off at you...)

I just don't think that CRJ was "good storytelling".  CSR is better, both mechanically and plot-wise, but it was stuck living in that universe, and so inherited all the problems of that universe, so it could only be just so good (in my eyes, obviously).  I actually don't mind CSR, though I have trouble reading the parts involving Greg.  (Yeah, that's right.  I wrote stuff I seriously don't like reading...)  Nathan was my prototypical hero, so I'm okay with him.

Saying that reminded me... someone once accused me of creating the same hero in every one of my books, just putting him in different scenarios.  My response was... "Um... so what?"  3dsmile  Yeah, I have things that I think make for "a good person", and I tend to give my hero those qualities.  I'm not going to be ashamed of having a standard.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#259 2023-05-22 05:29:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

thehilz wrote:

I find the CAMP stories enjoyable myself as well Eric. They may not be your best work but I’ll reread them once every couple of years. Now there are stories of yours I find myself rereading every year. Speaking of it’s about time for a Woodward reread which I think is your best completed work so far.(WMR is a very close second)

You may be the only person who has ever ranked WMR that highly on their list of favorite stories from me.

I apologize to you for slacking on WBR.  3dsad

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#260 2023-05-23 01:52:35

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

darthel0101 wrote:

I really enjoy re-reading "Warmth of a Touch", "Dragonseekers", "Woodward Academy", "Artifacts I",

You don't like Artifacts II?

The differences between the stories actually impacted my ability to enjoy the second. That is not to say that I dislike A-II, but I don't re-read it as often as I re-read A-I.

Eric Storm wrote:

darthel0101 wrote:

It's funny that people think it's the rambling that makes me hate CRJ.  It's not the rambling.  That came from inexperience and a lack of planning.  You can see I still sometimes suffer from that second point by reading Agent of Change, which is already my longest book ever, with no end in sight.

But I dislike CRJ because of both the quality of the writing, and the plot itself.  The characters were too powerful, and the plot is full of holes.  Hell, the entire Spirit Realm was created to shut up a very vocal group of irate fans...  (Nice to have fans, but not when they're pissed off at you...)

I honestly think that with the plot that was apparently intended for CRJ, you NEEDED the power of certain individuals. Sure there were plot holes, but there are plot holes in EVERY major production. With Camp (both parts) you had a story to tell and you told that story well enough that even somebody who NOTICES plot holes still enjoys occasionally re-reading them.

RE the Spirit Realm being created to silence some of your readers: I have seen another "amateur" writer do something similar, and they almost irretrievably ruined their story; your Spirit World STRENGTHENED your story instead of WEAKENING from it.

Regarding "lack of planning": I have read professional (read that as "NYT Best Seller's List") writers comment that they have had some stories where certain portions wrote themselves OUTSIDE of what the author planned. You get into the head of the character and THEIR story can be what ends up being told instead of the WRITER'S story.

Eric Storm wrote:

I just don't think that CRJ was "good storytelling".  CSR is better, both mechanically and plot-wise, but it was stuck living in that universe, and so inherited all the problems of that universe, so it could only be just so good (in my eyes, obviously).  I actually don't mind CSR, though I have trouble reading the parts involving Greg.  (Yeah, that's right.  I wrote stuff I seriously don't like reading...)  Nathan was my prototypical hero, so I'm okay with him.

When you wrote Greg's part of the story, you had to know what he was thinking to justify what he did even though you disliked what was being portrayed. That's a STRENGTH in a writer

Eric Storm wrote:

Saying that reminded me... someone once accused me of creating the same hero in every one of my books, just putting him in different scenarios. …

Your heroes do tend to have certain personality traits that are consistent throughout the various stories. That consistency, however, does not mean that all your heroes would react the same way to the same situation(s).

You may see what appear to be your weaknesses as a writer, but your readers see instead your STRENGTHS as a storyteller.

Last edited by darthel0101 (2023-05-23 01:55:02)

#261 2023-05-23 06:55:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

darthel0101 wrote:

The differences between the stories actually impacted my ability to enjoy the second. That is not to say that I dislike A-II, but I don't re-read it as often as I re-read A-I.

Could you elaborate on this a little?  I'm just kinda curious.

I honestly think that with the plot that was apparently intended for CRJ, you NEEDED the power of certain individuals.

Ah, but see, here's where you're confused.  The plot that exists was never intended.  It just happened.  My original idea would have ended at Chapter 9.  (Ron comes back from CAMP, and takes over his family).  What happened after that was just because the readers kept giving me ideas and pushing me to continue, and I didn't know any better back then.

Sure there were plot holes, but there are plot holes in EVERY major production. With Camp (both parts) you had a story to tell and you told that story well enough that even somebody who NOTICES plot holes still enjoys occasionally re-reading them.

No, see, I didn't have a story to tell with CRJ.  That's probably my biggest problem with it.  Even with Agent of Change now, even though it isn't being planned out, I still know what story I'm telling.  No idea how I'm gonna get there, but I know the story I'm telling.  Until I was about halfway through writing CRJ, I had no fucking clue what the actual story was.  Yes, that I then managed to tell ANY kind of even halfway decent story that way does speak well of my storytelling ability... but it shouldn't have happened that way.

RE the Spirit Realm being created to silence some of your readers: I have seen another "amateur" writer do something similar, and they almost irretrievably ruined their story; your Spirit World STRENGTHENED your story instead of WEAKENING from it.

I guess I'm good at improvising.  The Spirit Realm was created because, when I killed off Jessica Simpson, my email inbox was FLOODED with angry responses, asking me how I dare kill off their favorite character.  I had to pull a series-TV-writer trick to bring her back into the story.  I grant that I was able to make good use of it once it was there, but it was never supposed to be there.

Regarding "lack of planning": I have read professional (read that as "NYT Best Seller's List") writers comment that they have had some stories where certain portions wrote themselves OUTSIDE of what the author planned. You get into the head of the character and THEIR story can be what ends up being told instead of the WRITER'S story.

Okay, this is a whole different phenomenon.  I know about this, because it happens to me regularly.  Just because you plan out a story, even so far as writing an outline, unless there is a really, REALLY good reason that you must stick with the story as outlined, you shouldn't be so rigid that you can't make changes.

I've had it happen to me on several occasions that I planned a story to go one way, and one of my characters said, "Um, boss?  Yeah, I wouldn't do that..."  And so I had to sigh, sit down, talk it out with him and his union rep, work out a new plot line... Fuckin' characters are a pain in the ass...

But that's nothing to do with lack of planning, that's just flexibility in allowing yourself to accept new ideas.  Hell, Warmth of a Touch almost ended up with Martin rejecting his family to solely be with Cat.  But my character told me she wouldn't want Martin to do that, so I reworked it.

When you wrote Greg's part of the story, you had to know what he was thinking to justify what he did even though you disliked what was being portrayed. That's a STRENGTH in a writer

Yeah, writing Greg's chapters was "not fun".  Temna wasn't great, either, but she was nothing compared to Greg.

Your heroes do tend to have certain personality traits that are consistent throughout the various stories. That consistency, however, does not mean that all your heroes would react the same way to the same situation(s).

No, because they don't have the same experiences, skill sets, etc.  Like I said, I have no problem owning up to the idea that my characters have similar ethical bases.

You may see what appear to be your weaknesses as a writer, but your readers see instead your STRENGTHS as a storyteller.

My readers should be glad that I pay attention to my weaknesses as a writer.  Working on those is what makes me a better writer.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#262 2023-05-24 05:22:04

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

darthel0101 wrote:

Could you elaborate on this a little?  I'm just kinda curious.

The best way that I can put it is that I see A-I as a personal growth story, but see A-II as a more general exploration/puzzle story.

Eric Storm wrote:

darthel0101 wrote:

I honestly think that with the plot that was apparently intended …

Ah, but see, here's where you're confused.  The plot that exists was never intended.  It just happened.  My original idea would have ended at Chapter 9.  (Ron comes back from CAMP, and takes over his family).  What happened after that was just because the readers kept giving me ideas and pushing me to continue, and I didn't know any better back then.

I stand corrected. You did well thinking on your feet, taking others' ideas, and working them into the story.

Eric Storm wrote:

darthel0101 wrote:

RE the Spirit Realm: …

I guess I'm good at improvising …

… and making it actually work with your story.

Eric Storm wrote:

My readers should be glad that I pay attention to my weaknesses as a writer.  Working on those is what makes me a better writer.

I AM glad that you pay attention, and I DO enjoy the vast majority of your work.

Thank you for making it available to the rest of us.

#263 2023-05-26 16:16:02

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

You may be the only person who has ever ranked WMR that highly on their list of favorite stories from me.

Eric Storm

I tend to enjoy time travel stories the most. Mind control/magic ones are my second favorite story type.

No worries about WBR. Hopefully your muses will come back around to that story sometime.

#264 2023-05-28 14:47:34

Chuckhelius
Tipsy

Hi Eric,  I have totally enjoyed reading not only this story but all your others.  No "story" has to be technically correct, as most stories are an alternate reality or at least a suspension from that.  It does help to not be a total departure of course so as keep the reader engaged.  I do hope to read more of this particular story, but it was left in a good place.   I'm wondering if a harem was in the works with the daughters of the Mob, *Smirks.  Your writing is easy on the eyes, with your near perfect style and proofing of the content which is so much more enjoyable to read than the blather that is often what smut writers come up with.  I haven't read all your works as of yet, but well on my way.  I also enjoy the variety of content in your stories.  Keep up the great work.  Cheers  CP

(posted from Chapter 21)

#265 2023-05-28 18:10:57

Hakhazar
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

thehilz wrote:

Eric Storm

WMR is right up there with WW and AoC for me. I don't know what order 1-2-3 I'd put them in.

#266 2023-05-28 21:01:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Chuckhelius:  Glad you're enjoying the stories.  Agent of Change is nowhere near concluded.

Hakhazar: You have the weirdest abbreviation for the Woodward Academy series.  3dsmile  I'm glad you enjoyed WMR.  I apologize if you, too, are impatiently waiting for the next chapter of WBR.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#267 2023-05-29 15:22:48

Hakhazar
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Chuckhelius:  Glad you're enjoying the stories.  Agent of Change is nowhere near concluded.

Hakhazar: You have the weirdest abbreviation for the Woodward Academy series.  3dsmile  I'm glad you enjoyed WMR.  I apologize if you, too, are impatiently waiting for the next chapter of WBR.

Eric Storm

Yeah, I suppose WA is a better abbreviation. I guess I just think of it as Woodward, so....

I'd love to see more of WBR, but I understand the words come when they're ready.

#268 2023-06-01 08:27:57

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

I LIKE the concept for the electric aircraft - - - I can only assume that the propulsion is Electrostatic Laminar Flow on the wings. That would be a massive power drain, but a perfect application of the Unit.

(posted from Chapter 22)

Last edited by darthel0101 (2023-06-01 08:29:04)

#269 2023-06-01 08:48:16

reaper1963
Tipsy

great chapter cant wait for the next one

(posted from Chapter 22)

#270 2023-06-01 08:50:25

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

darthel:

The words used to describe the "real" one are "fluidic propulsion".  Check out Jetoptera's J-2000.  It does not work quite this way, but I find the boxwing structure to be ugly, so I reimagined it for my own use.  I can do that, because it's my story, so nya!  LOL

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#271 2023-06-01 23:20:54

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

The words used to describe the "real" one are "fluidic propulsion".  Check out Jetoptera's J-2000.  […] I reimagined it for my own use.  I can do that, because it's my story, so nya!  LOL

Eric Storm

RE the use in your story, you are correct about it being your story, so you are artistically licensed to modify it to fit your imagery; I was just taking your description and fitting it within the limits of what I knew.

BTW: from the article I found that interviewed the CEO about Jetoptera (link), "… the Jetoptera Fluidic Propulsive System™ (FPS). This appears to be a type of bladeless fan utilizing a high-pressure laminar airflow, …". My mistake was going too far into the future tech and removing the motor-driven aspect of the airflow from the equation and using an electrostatic one (not a working prototype as yet, but being researched for lift enhancement as opposed to strictly being used for propulsion).

Last edited by darthel0101 (2023-06-02 01:33:00)

#272 2023-06-07 09:34:42

Alex_Rider
Tipsy

Great Chapter I'm curious how Hannah will integrate into the family

(posted from Chapter 22)

#273 2023-06-07 20:14:20

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Alex_Rider wrote:

(posted from Chapter 22)

Maybe she won't.  Who knows?  misch_smiley

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#274 2023-06-09 01:27:02

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

Alex_Rider wrote:

(posted from Chapter 22)

Maybe she won't.  Who knows?  misch_smiley

Eric Storm

The most likely scenario would be to have her involved at least until she is of an age to be on her own.
Whether or not she gets entangled in the web that is being spun out from the family home is another matter and depends on how the character feels about what she will see IN that home.
THAT is the meat of the storyteller's craft -- teasing the reader into continuing to read by keeping questions in their mind, while also satisfying their curiosity about what is happening, and that is where Eric has proven the depth of his ability.

#275 2023-07-05 20:13:53

Zmaybe
Inebriated

Eric, I love Agent of Change. I am currently reading 6 sifi deries stories on line. I check them for updates weekly, except Agent of Change, I check that at least once or twice daily. Such an inventive tale.  You build the plot, the characters, and the twists with a lot of depth and heart. This is in my humble opinion, the Best story I have read.  Sure minor spelling and grammar issues, but damn you keep me coming back for more.  Thanks and I hope this story never ends.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

Board footer