The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-11 06:47:14

Kouskul
Inebriated

A little story problem

There seems to be a recurring problem that I personally find will be the death of any interest in my story (myself included) unless I tackle it quickly, it is in the form of "prattling".

What I mean is that in an attempt to build character and background, I believe I'm just going on, and on, and on, and on, whilst not really contributing anything that can help keep interest.

So I'm here to ask, how can I add that kick that will keep the story interesting and enjoying to read, but at the same time accomplish the task to not making the characters and events blank pictures that look to be drawn by kindergarten kids?

"Miracles of modern day science. I'm brushing my teeth and stimulating my hair molecules at the same time."
-Dr. Buddy Rydell (Jack Nicholson)

#2 2012-12-11 07:48:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: A little story problem

First off, the best way to establish a character's... uh.... character...  3dwink  ... is to show their reactions to things.  When it is necessary to relate back-story to the reader, do so at a point where it is immediately relevant.  Long narrations about a character's past and their personality makeup are, as you said, extremely dull.  However, if, at a point where a character reacts to something, you can insert a few sentences about why they're reacting that way (without, of course, destroying the flow of the story), then that will be better.

Also, if lots of back-story is truly vital to the story, flashbacks work better than narrative.  Anything that keeps action happening, as opposed to what is really a complete break from the story while you, the author, impart information.

Also, do keep in mind that not all of the information that is vital to you as an author, is vital to the reader.  Only include the characterization information that is necessary for the enjoyment of the story.  As an author, you have to have a deep understanding of your characters, in order for you to get them to act consistently.  The reader doesn't need quite this depth of knowledge.

As an example:  In The Woodward Academy, Year 1, in the very first scene, which is not straight narrative, we learn that our main character, David, is just graduating high school, is probably not a virgin, but is certainly not a "stud", is intellectual enough to go to college and be considered a geek, and gullible enough to fall for a practical joke.  All of that, in less than 400 words, and no real "narration" in sight.

The basic rule for this is, "Show, Don't Tell."  In other words, demonstrate their character, don't just tell us about it.  Only tell us about it if it's just not possible to show us in a reasonable fashion.

Anyway, that's my 80¢.  (Inflation.)
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2012-12-11 07:50:27

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

My recommendation, and what I do personally, is WRITE!

Don't worry about the prattling right now. Just write.

Get the story done. Once it's finished you can go back, re-read the story, edit out the unnecessary prattling, the wasted words, if you can't do it yourself, find yourself a good, trusted editor who can tell you what can be taken out, what should be taken, what could be taken, what must be taken out and what must be left in. The first step though is to finish the story.

#4 2012-12-11 18:34:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Jefferson, your suggestion ignores something that Kouskul said in his original post:

Kouskul wrote:

There seems to be a recurring problem that I personally find will be the death of any interest in my story (myself included) unless I tackle it quickly, it is in the form of "prattling".

(emphasis added.)

He won't be able to finish the book if he loses interest in writing it, now will he?  Not to mention that Kouskul, like most internet authors, is posting serially, rather than upon completion of the novel.  He really cannot afford to do what you're suggesting, because he will have lost all his readers long before he gets to the end of the story.

Not to mention, what you're suggesting doesn't really ever teach him to think about what he's writing.  Yes, go back and edit when you're finished, definitely... to find what you DIDN'T catch while you were writing it.  But to just blithely write down anything and everything while you're in the writing process...  You've just created twice as much work for yourself.  Once when you wrote all that stuff you didn't need (and let's face it, the writing itself is not a simple task), and again when you have to figure out how to take it all back out.  Most writers will be reticent to remove paragraphs and (perhaps) pages they worked so hard to create...  And quite frankly, the number of really good editors on the internet that I would personally trust to give the kind of feedback you're suggesting is virtually non-existent.

Just getting to the end of the writing... really shouldn't be your goal.  But, again, that's just my opinion.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2012-12-11 22:43:16

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

I personal do outlines, and write what I think should be in the story itself. Character development happens through actions, and reactions to stimuli in the story. Like Eric said, don't go into long narrations, have it be little bits and pieces that clip into the story, or do a flash back. I add thought patterns to my stories some times, but I clearly outline them as something out of the norm. I don't know how to tell you how to keep yourself from giving up on a story. I find that if it wants to be written and you set yourself a schedule to write on it, it will be written. But that is just me. I think Eric's post helps more then mine. But I am putting in my 3 cents.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

Board footer