The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-13 01:58:19

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

For the authors But everyone is welcome

So as an author I find myself always doing things different trying to find the best way for me to write. I have started creating conceptual notes for new stories I want to write. Idea's that I want to see in the story and things that I need to be in there. I use these notes to help dictate the details that I will present in the story. I also use them to refer back when I get stuck or have writers block. I was wondering how many other authors out there use something similar to this.

For those non-Authors out there if you have any suggestions on ideas to help write all ears. Also how many of you out there would be interested in seeing this notes later on. Not that it really matters but I know authors like tolkien had his notes published by his son later for LOTR and the Hobbitt. So there you go the floor is now open to you all.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#2 2012-11-13 02:50:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: For the authors But everyone is welcome

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "conceptual notes", but I live by the philosophy that if I don't write it down, then the idea never happened.  I have a long list of story ideas, and I will write down any ideas that come along that relate to one of those ideas, or a new story.

For instance, the Woodward series, I have an insane amount of notes about.  I have plot points... even some snippets of narration... written for book 8 already, so that I don't forget those scenes.

I have entire outlines written for stories that won't be written for years from now.  Don't trust your memory, ever.  I don't care how good your memory is NOW... in five years, it won't be as good.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2012-11-13 03:13:45

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Re: For the authors But everyone is welcome

Well, I used to do stuff with my english teacher and arts teacher where when we had an idea we start conceptualizing the idea so that it was fulling formed. So just in general I guess they could be story notes, or notes on a space craft, or how you want a sword to work and what powers the sword might have.

I totally agree with you about the memory thing. I do mine because I want to use them as points of reference later on so that if i forgot something i can be like oh crap back in chapter 3 I forgot this detail about this and it should be in there, and though know one would know sept me I know go back and fix it. Or when I have a scene that pops into my head I write it down in the best detail I can and then if it fits later on I add it. Thanks for the quick responce Eric. Always a pleasure.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

Board footer