The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-18 12:26:38

Veritas
Wasted
Website

Seeing a pattern

I'm definitely seeing a pattern in my work, and I'm not really happy with it.

For some strange reason, almost every story I write, starts with the main character waking up.  I didn't notice it, or plan it in the slightest.

In my Second Life, John wakes up in a white room, where Center, the AI offers him a new life on an alien world, engineered as an exact copy of prehistoric earth.

In Dead and Back, Desmond wakes up as a vampire, after being beaten and killed by an outlaw biker gang.

In Sellswords, Inc., Michael Ford wakes up on an alien spacecraft, who's owners are in dire need of a rescue.

And in Stronghold, Marcus is awakened in the middle of the night by his military officer uncle, with news of an approaching world disaster.

As if all of that wasn't enough, I have two other stories in the pipe which start in a similar fashion.

Anybody have any advice, criticism, maybe even some jokes at my expense?

#2 2012-09-18 13:39:41

celf
Wasted

Re: Seeing a pattern

i don't see a problem.

if it works... then it works.

all your story's have great plots to them.
they may all start out allmost the same but by the time the main plot is going there not the same from what i remember.

you have to bear in mind that everyone sleep's.
we spend a good part of our live's asleep.
so starting a story by some one wakeing up is a sound way to start a story.

humans group stuff. and most group by wakeing up. start of a new day and so on.
this is just how you work and i my self am ok with it.

keepup the good work.

celf.

ps.
(so is this to say you have new work posting soon?)

#3 2012-09-18 16:47:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Oh, I'm sure we could come up with some jokes at your expense, no problem!

3dbig_smile

Celf is right, though:  Statistically, this is the thing that you are most likely to interrupt someone doing, as people sleep for, on average, 1/3 of the day.  It is also (as he pointed out) a reasonable way to begin the story, as it allows for either a gradual introduction to the problems, or, alternatively, if the person is abruptly awakened, allows for a story to begin 'in medias res'.  So, the concept of waking up can make for a good way to begin a story... which is probably why you have used it so frequently.

Having said all that, if you don't like the fact that you're doing it, there's a simple fix.  Stop doing it.

3dbig_smile

(You knew I was going to say that, right?)  Seriously... just change it from sleeping to some other activity.  Have them watching TV, or showering, or talking on the phone.  For the stories where you've got someone waking up in an unfamiliar place, show us how they got there, first...  There are many ways to change this up, if it's really a problem.

The reason that having your character wake up at the first of the book works well is because it allows the reader and the character to discover what's going on "together".  If the character already knows what's going on when the story starts, then you have to impart knowledge to the reader in narration, and that requires a little more work.  So, changing it up might be worthwhile simply as a way to stretch your writing legs, as it were.

Anyway, that's my $1.50 (inflation, you know...).  Take it for what it's worth (not even a cup of coffee at Starbucks...)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2012-09-18 21:07:52

WarLord
Wasted
Website

I like your stories and I also understand not wanting to get in a rut. 

The plot arc involves change of circumstance, and the question is how to pivot your character into this "change" - waking up even after death works. 

Other have used lighting striking during thunderstorm, walking through a cave or some other portal, or car crashs. In Blood and Iron I used a key and waking up.  Walking into a bright light after seeing a UFO land is also a thought.  I also agree with a comment above, in a 1st person narrative the abrupt change imparts some tension and allows a reveal of information to hero and reader together

The question I'd have would be: Do you think your preferred "pivot" plot device detracts from your narrative? 

If not, keep doing what your doing and move quickly into the story introducing a hot horny princess early in chapter 1 3dwink

Good Luck keep writing

Last edited by WarLord (2012-09-18 21:10:44)

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#5 2012-09-18 23:27:50

turshen
Inebriated

Veritas wrote:

For some strange reason, almost every story I write, starts with the main character waking up.  I didn't notice it, or plan it in the slightest.

Eric is right, of course.

Well, it could be worse (or better).  You could have your character wake up from a coma, with no memory of what's gone before.
That makes it even easier to synchronize the discovery between the character and the reader.  Hey, it worked for Roger Zelazny!

#6 2012-09-19 09:42:04

Veritas
Wasted
Website

Thanks everybody for the input.

I've looked into slightly altering the beginning of my stories, but decided against it.  I'm pretty happy with how they have turned out so far.  So, I'll just stay on the lookout in my next stories, and try to mix things up.

#7 2012-11-09 19:04:55

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

You know in my opinion we each have things we do when we write that makes for our style. When I went college oh so briefly my professor of English lit used to wax on about signatures of authors. I can name a few authors out there that are huge that basically follow the same format with every story they write and just change the details. If you finger print or signature is people waking up and it works for you keep with it.

Or as Eric has said you can just change it. ^_^

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

Board footer