The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-01 18:41:16

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Polyamory in stories

Well so I thought maybe i'd ask some of our author's and our readers there opinion. This genre of writing tends to lean towards mutlipul pairings and couplse, and I was just wondering if this is done with the Haremesque style of approach or do some of you look at things from a more polyamrous approach. I know I do, but that is also how I personally live my life. Just food for thought and discussion.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#2 2012-08-01 18:56:09

lordalpha
Wasted

Re: Polyamory in stories

That would depend(at least for me) on the setting of the story. Using examples from the site, I would say something like Warmth(one of Eric's stories) has more of a Polyamorous setting(because of the main characters feelings for the sub-characters, and his aversions to using the word slave) Or Unknown's story, My Girls(books 1, 2, and 3!) having very similar polyamorous lines. Stories like Camp(both of them by Eric Storm) have more of a Harem'esque like feel to it, but as before, it is mostly in the setting, and portrayal of how the main character acts, responds and feels to the situation.(at least, in my experience and opinion.)

#3 2012-08-01 23:59:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

[Author's Note:  There are some spoilers in this message, concerning CSR.  If you don't want to know about some relationship stuff that happens in that story, don't read this post.]

I think that LA and I have exactly opposite opinions on this.  3dsmile 

To define terms as I use them:

Harem:  One guy with a bunch of girls who are there only to serve him.
Polyamory: A group of adults all having sex with each other.

Under these terms, my story Warmth is, in fact, more haremesque, as all of the main character's partners are there for him, and any sex between his ladies is almost incidental.

On the other hand, in CAMP: Sibling Rivalry, Nathan is in a polyamorous relationship, because he has partners who have a serious emotional and physical relationship with each other, as well as with him.

And in Woodward Academy, we have the third multiple-partner scenario, which is the "non-exclusive relationship".  Many of David's long-term partners have chosen to remain knowingly and mutually non-monogamous with him.  This qualifies as neither a harem, nor polyamory.

To be truthful, the "multiple partners" aspect of erotic fiction has to do almost exclusively with one thing:  Not boring the hell out of the reader with multiple sex scenes of the same two people over and over again.  The exception to this, of course, is when a harem/large family is a necessary part of the story.

In my early days, I tended to the haremesque format.  CAMP: Ron's Journey is very much haremesque, despite a few relationships between the main character's lady friends.  As CRJ is a mind-control story, the harem aspect of it becomes important, as that is (usually) the nature of sexual mind control.

As I have gone along, I have slid more over to the polyamorous side, even where mind control is involved.  Which is not to say I don't get a bit haremesque at times.

3dsmile

All three styles have their place and purpose within stories, as long as you choose the right one for the story you're writing.

Just my $1.50 (inflation's a bitch...)
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2012-08-02 03:00:28

lordalpha
Wasted

Actually Eric, You and I don't disagree that much. The telling difference between us is the wording in one line.
"Polyamory: A group of adults all having sex with each other."
Mine would be more like "Polyamory: A group of adults all having sex with multiple partners" From my personal experience(what little there is) poly relationships do not require(although many have it anyways) every partner to be with every other partner. That's really the only telling difference between our personal definitions(although that difference does bring a rather vast divide between what stories we consider in what category lol)

#5 2012-08-04 22:52:37

dreaw
Inebriated

you are forgetting one another type

where the main character is in a romantic relationship with all of them but they each are still there own person

ps thats how i define a harem in my stories

#6 2012-08-05 00:02:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

That IS a harem.

"Harem", in erotica terms, does not require slavery of the "multiples".  Just that their primary - usually only - sex partner is the "singular".  My definition may have been a bit misleading, I was speaking only sexually, not personality-wise, when I said they were only there to serve the singular.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#7 2012-08-15 15:16:17

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Well, again I guess that does require the definition. As a person who practices Polyamory in real life, sex isn't actually required. But The concept is still acurate. It is People having and sharing love cross wise with others in the coupling. Or more simply put, everyone is interested in everyone, even if its only at a personal level and not a physical level. I try to write towards the Ploy side, however I can say harem does interest me more and more in my writing. I have to get my stories fully edited to even get to a real sex scene though haha. Anyways. Thanks so much for those of you whom answer my question.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

Board footer