The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-14 16:32:40

drgonzo1
Inebriated
Website

ARRRRRGH!!!!!!!

I have the new contributer blues!! I wanted to post my first two chapters this AM and ran head long into my own stupidity!!
Because I have been spending so much time on the web reading erotic SciFy last night I decided to upgrade my AntiVirus from Kasperkey to Norton 360 6.0. When I started the install process and uninstalled Kasperkey I ran into some Issues (Lets not lie I ran into Subscriptions, i am not one who does things half way.) Sooooooo I fixed the problem by doing a reinstall of Win7, installed norton, reinstalled all my other software clean. As I was restoring all my files and documents I was on auto pilot at around 0400 Texas time and was just letting the files transfer from my 2trb xthd and failed to notice something. After about 4 hrs. sleep I went back and started to set up my profile and post my first chapter when I found out the only two documents I did not on my xthd (external hard drive, sorry ex military) were my two chaptery and note files. ARRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!! The only light at the end of the tunnel is that I edit better on paper copy so I had my two drafts and hand written notes so I am reentering the chapters into word. I should have it reentered and reedited by the morning and will post it then. If any of you were willing to share similar experiences so I don't feel so all alone I would read them. TA TA FOR NOW
drgonzo1

#2 2012-07-14 18:17:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: ARRRRRGH!!!!!!!

*snickers*  Everyone's lost something through lack of back up.  I can offer you only one piece of advice:

No, it's not "back up your stories".  3dwink  I assume you already know that one.  hehehe

Find a service like DropBox, and use it to automatically back up your stories.  I have my system set up so that when I save my work, it goes directly into a private DropBox directory.  This means that it gets automatically updated on their server, and even if my computer blows up, they will have a copy of my work that I can grab later, so I don't lose anything, even if I accidentally delete my local files somehow.

Best advice I can offer.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2012-07-14 18:18:40

Veritas
Wasted
Website

My god, the amount of times that I've been forced to wipe clean my hard drive and start from scratch... all because of one bad install, upgrade or new driver.  And it always seems to happen when a deadline is approaching.  It's a damn good thing that i keep my tools away from my office, or I would have taken a hammer to my PC a long time ago.

It's a good thing that you had a hard copy backup.  I learned my lesson a long time ago, I constantly back up my files on my laptop, desktop and a couple of pen drives.  Redundancy is key.

#4 2012-07-14 20:14:25

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I found a cheaper and easier way of making sure I have a copy of my stories, no matter what computer I'm on. I save all of my stories to a flash drive. When my previous desk top began having problems, I got worried I would lose something valuable so I saved everything to the flash drive. Good thing too. The power source went out a couple months later. Even now that I'm on my brand new laptop, everything is still saved to a flash drive.

#5 2012-07-14 20:56:43

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Just be aware, Jefferson:  Flash drives can die, too... and when they do, they're not going to give you any warning.  Veritas is right: multiple locations is required if the data is crucial.  That's why I like DropBox: the chance of my computer AND their computer failing at the same time is pretty darn slim.  (And it's free... I'm not sure where your "cheaper" comment was aimed, but I hope it wasn't at me...)

If you're going to use a Flash drive, make sure to make a backup of THAT onto another hard drive somewhere.  Otherwise, you're taking the same chance.  What happens when your Flash drive breaks?

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#6 2012-07-14 23:44:34

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

I back mine up using Google Documents, though I will look into dropbox, sounds like a good idea. I also have sent copies of it to my editors and a couple of my girlfriends. So there is always a working copy floating around amongst friends.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#7 2012-07-17 17:59:54

drgonzo1
Inebriated
Website

Thank you all for the sugestions, I have started using a flash driive, I also have two external stand alone HD's that I dump the files into nightly, and now that I have Norton permium 360 I am buying on line storage space and I have Norton set up to back up twice a day automaticaly. I will see how this works out. I have also with some help from a friend put a macro into office (Don't tell Microsoft) so when word, exel publisher, and access auto backup it sends it to my internal HD, my External HD, and any plug and play storage device I have attached to my desktop. My friend Cheryl is a class mate of mine who is working on a degree in system admin. Any how I will let every one know how it goes. And again Thanks.. Ta TA For Now
drgonzo1

#8 2012-07-17 22:59:21

dreaw
Inebriated

here is my tip as someone who writes and is a freelance IT

GET RID OF ALL NORTON ANTI VIRUS PROGRAMS!
they are so easy to get past!

Last edited by dreaw (2012-07-17 22:59:49)

#9 2012-07-20 16:32:08

drgonzo1
Inebriated
Website

Norton is easy to get past If your computer is the target. If your computer is the specific target of a hacker it is only a mater of time before a PC is compramised any way. Personaly I do not store any thing on my HD's any one would want. The things that I am worried about are mostly viruses and mallware that would dammage my system. Also any thing that MIGHT be of intrest to some one I eather keep on stand alone media or in my head. Also unless I am activly using my pc it is powered down. Also any thing I write thatI dont want stolen I store on DVD+R media.

Board footer