The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-05-17 18:37:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: dont know what to do... maybe you lot can help

1.  You should never need to "set grammar aside" to be able to write.  This is not to say that authors don't sometimes intentionally violate the rules of grammar.  I do it, everyone else I know does it from time to time.  That doesn't mean we set the grammar aside, it means we have intentionally chosen, in one spot, to break the rules.

2. Jefferson is very busy... and he uses an editor himself, so I'm not sure how much help he'd be to you.  Of course, he can answer that himself if he reads this thread.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#27 2012-05-18 02:13:54

celf
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

1.  You should never need to "set grammar aside" to be able to write.  This is not to say that authors don't sometimes intentionally violate the rules of grammar.  I do it, everyone else I know does it from time to time.  That doesn't mean we set the grammar aside, it means we have intentionally chosen, in one spot, to break the rules.

2. Jefferson is very busy... and he uses an editor himself, so I'm not sure how much help he'd be to you.  Of course, he can answer that himself if he reads this thread.

Eric Storm

re one i do get your the point of what you are saying.
re two well i knew you was out as a editor for a start i know you are Why to bisy 3dsmile but we all have our wish list's of editor's 3dsmile
orso eric i sent a mail dont know if you got it or not.

and Kitsune
you orso have a e-mail with draft 2 of prologue in it if you have not seen it yet.
as chapter 1 draft 1 is just about done. i was hoping you cound get the one you got there back ( with hope today )

Last edited by celf (2012-05-18 02:15:26)

#28 2012-05-18 02:34:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Actually, I'll be perfectly honest:  how busy I am isn't what would keep me from editing for you.  I'm kind of particular about grammar/spelling/punctuation, and I just couldn't deal with having to correct every single sentence you write.

3dtongue

Good luck finding an editor, though.  I did receive your email.  I'll get around to dealing with it shortly.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#29 2012-05-18 02:44:18

celf
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

Actually, I'll be perfectly honest:  how busy I am isn't what would keep me from editing for you.  I'm kind of particular about grammar/spelling/punctuation, and I just couldn't deal with having to correct every single sentence you write.

3dtongue

Good luck finding an editor, though.  I did receive your email.  I'll get around to dealing with it shortly.

Eric Storm

fear enough.
there is no way i can blam you for that.

and thanks for the info about the mail.

#30 2012-05-18 05:08:30

Kitsune
Inebriated

sorry i didn't get to the paper earlier today but i sent back the one i got after going over it.

#31 2012-05-18 06:22:22

celf
Wasted

Kitsune wrote:

sorry i didn't get to the paper earlier today but i sent back the one i got after going over it.

right well then beter edit  and update the one i got posted here 3dsmile

o yes and send you chapter 1 3dsmile

Last edited by celf (2012-05-18 06:22:46)

#32 2012-05-18 15:32:16

celf
Wasted

i am starting to hate ms word.

ok well i need it for the Spellchecker help's pick up a lot of stuff
but when you save it to a HTML file (Oh My God.)
the Junk Code that is used.

the <head> Code is biger then 4 page's of story.
so i spent about 2 hours playing a game of remove the not needed html Code from file. took about 30k of the file size.

hay Eric what program do you use. and what program do you do your formating in befor you post?
maybe i can find a better way

Last edited by celf (2012-05-18 15:32:41)

#33 2012-05-18 17:52:55

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I use.... Microsoft Word.  3dbig_smile

First off, do not save to "Web Page (*.htm, *.html)".  Save to "Web Page, Filtered (*.htm, *.html)".  The filtered version removes all of the junk that is pertinent only to Word.

As for me, I then run mine through a custom HTML cleaner, but I custom-built that for my files, so it wouldn't work for yours.  Really, the Web Page, Filtered will do enough that you probably don't need to worry beyond that.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#34 2012-05-18 18:22:14

celf
Wasted

well i think the best way then is to  Save to "Web Page, Filtered"
then resave in notepad useing (UTF-8)

that way it should show up on most systems looking the right way.

it faster that way. less work still i may still go over the file removed not needed format code.
but this way there be way, way, less format code to be removed.

thanks Eric

Last edited by celf (2012-05-18 18:23:54)

#35 2012-05-18 22:31:55

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

If you're worried about the curly quotes not working for people, turn them off in Word.  (Note that this will take a bit of work, as you'll have to modify a whole bunch of the auto-correct entries, as well... Or turn off auto-correct.)  I did this a long time ago.  I hate curly quotes.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#36 2012-05-18 23:47:27

celf
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

If you're worried about the curly quotes not working for people, turn them off in Word.  (Note that this will take a bit of work, as you'll have to modify a whole bunch of the auto-correct entries, as well... Or turn off auto-correct.)  I did this a long time ago.  I hate curly quotes.

Eric Storm

i think with m$ word 7 3dsmile
turning off  "curly quotes" called smart quotes look to be 1 tick box

#37 2012-05-19 01:13:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Oh, yes, it is... EXCEPT that the auto-corrects include curly quotes in them, so whenever you accidentally type dont', it will replace it with don't, but with a curly quote in it.  It's extremely annoying... which is a good description of everything that has the Microsoft stamp on it.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#38 2012-05-19 02:06:19

celf
Wasted

i see well that good to know

i just Run the "find" replace all for the stuff like "don't"

i have to read back what i type about 30+ times any how.
so i have to love and live what i type or i just give up.

and right now i am procrastinating here typeing this when i should be working on chapter 2. lol

for any one who is interested to get the spelling for "procrastinating" i go to google.co.uk and type procrastnating this is close enough to the right spelling. so that google will show me the right spelling
3dsmile
but i can not be doing that for all the words i type 3dsmile

#39 2012-05-19 03:37:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Simplify your life:  Do a search/replace for the ' by itself.  Put it in both the Find and Replace fields.  It'll replace all the curly quotes with straight ones.

----
Facebook page

#40 2012-05-20 13:39:13

Kitsune
Inebriated

Hey so sorry about chapter 1 taking awhile busy with other stuff will have it done and sent to you today

Board footer