The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-18 19:43:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Request for Comment - Search Input Page

Okay, I'm starting a new topic, so that things don't get confused.  We've already discussed the way the results of a search come out.

Now, I'm interested in how you would prefer to enter your search query.

The current version is a lot of checkboxes.

I'm wondering if this is the preferred method.  An alternative method I'm considering would be to have a set of list boxes with the options in them.  You would highlight the items you want to search on in the list box, and then click a button.  It would then show all of your search terms in a different box, so you could see what you were actually entering as a search.  You would have the ability to remove any selected items from your search before sending it.

Another, related option would be to simply have you highlight all your options in the list box, and when you click "Send", it sends it.  I don't prefer this option because it makes it harder to see what you've chosen.

A third option would be to have checkboxes, but instead of having them spread out as they are, represent them on a "tree" structure (like a directory listing).  This could be collapsed/expanded as needed so you could look it over and change your mind before sending off your search.

I can't really think of other ways to do this, so the question becomes:  checkboxes, or list boxes?  And scattered checkboxes, or a tree of checkboxes?

This is not about what kinds of searches you can do.  It is only about how you will get your search criteria into the site.  I'd like some feedback about what you guys think.

Of course, if you have another idea, I'll listen to that, too.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2011-03-19 18:21:36

Bd.Carlo
Inebriated

Re: Request for Comment - Search Input Page

I like anything other than "Another, related option would be to simply have you highlight all your options in the list box, and when you click "Send", it sends it.  I don't prefer this option because it makes it harder to see what you've chosen."  For the exact same reason you listed.

"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."  Elbert Hubbard
"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking." Jerry Seinfeld

#3 2011-03-20 15:43:35

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

I personally like the series of check boxes method.  I don't mind scrolling the screen to see everything I've checked. 

Something that might be cool, if it is possible with existing site technology, would be as items are checked or unchecked to have a sidebar window build a list of those items and perhaps even give a running total of remaining items based on the selections. 

The suggested stuff is like I said, just a suggestion and I fully expect to be told that it can't be done.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#4 2011-03-20 17:47:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Actually, you are approaching exactly what I was thinking of doing:  Having a set of list boxes on the left, with the various ratings, codes, pairings, etc., and when you click on one, it 1) gets disabled in the list box, and 2) goes into a section on the right-hand side, which shows the "sum total" of your search.  Then, if you click on one of the items on the right, in your search, it would remove it from your search, and then re-enable it in the list box (so you could choose it again if you changed your mind.... again.  3dsmile  )

"existing site technology" is not at issue here, as new site technology is already being employed.

The "running total", however, is not feasible.  It would mean running a new database query every time someone checked something.  That would possibly overload the system, if the site actually does any growing.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

Board footer