The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-20 06:26:15

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

An example of how *not* to write a critique

So a friend of mine is working on a story http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2699212/1/Aldeans_Crew and she shared with me a horrible piece of feedback she got from someone.  I read it over and was left shaking my head at how someone could possibly cram in so many offensive comments into a single post.  Please tell me if we are being overly sensitive.

Dissection of Chapter 1: "blew out a frustatrated breath"- highly unorignal.

"hoverboard"- oh God. Though I will remain open to the notions of another's imagination, hoverboards are not only a ridiculously formulaic notion, but they do not serve as an excelled form of transportation, rather they would hinder it.

"The junk piece was missing its start-up cuplink and was having trouble turning over"- again, I understand that you are implementing imagination, but this sentence is superfluous as it can never be defined and does not add any significant detail, (stating that the status of the machine was poor would have been acceptable and would not have required a fantasy-speak dictionary). The remaining sentences are so simple that I highly doubt that they have been composed for an audience older than twelve years old.

"tracked the moment"- finally, you are perhaps implementing an idea that is mean to carry several denotations, along with several connotations, but no. I believe that it is most likely a typo. "tracked the moment" does not make much sense, even when considering it beside its context.

"most scavengers . . . on runs"- this whole paragraph is bleating cliche. My gosh

"had something to prove" and "wasn't going to be babied" are exhausted. Why must the central [I'm assuming Kira] character often have something to prove? Is it the plot or is it to distract the audience from the lack of plot.

The countdown bit is, I'm assuming, meant to create excitement for the audience, but it is not successful.

The eye implants are also an exhausted notion, and my gosh, why did you include a [cliche, my dear, green] grid?

Some good bits: "yawning mouth of the alley"- nice.

"moved to accomodate her calculations"- sure, perhaps I have encountered something like this before, but I still favor it.

Some bad bits: "speed-velocity." Speed is a scalar and velocity is a vector, meaning that velocity has a direction, but speed does not. They can be interchangeable so long as direction is not considered; but combined? No.

"chambered" is such an iffy word. I suggest that you change it, not stretch the definition so much, and replace it with a more certain word.

"hell"- oh gosh. Do not try to elevate its immorality by claiming that Kira "cursed."

"hit equilibrium with gravity" an interesting phrase, one that allows thought. I favor the fact that it provokes thought. But equilibrium (gravity pulls us down, the earth pushes up- do you see us floating or boring into the ground without stopping?) would have to be disturbed if we wished to hover. It would have to be "hit equilibrium with the disturbance" but that's a bit technical. Which I would favor more, but an explanation would become necessary prior or after the statement is presented.

"acid burns"- does not acid have the potential to spread? If this gaggle is opposed to killing, then why are they using acid?

"goodies"- gosh, so cliche I want to punch a rug.

"I'd love to"- again, one of those horridly inane responses that one believes is so darn clever. Again, I want to punch a rug.

"was a blur"- who doesn't use this? Gosh, doff it.

"as fast as legally possible"- gosh, why even put that there? It is not clever.

"Kir"? Are you kidding me? Isn't Kira concise enough? and "wicked nasty"- come on.

Those weak jocular responses to the "her friends are considerate" questions are lame and cheesy and unenjoyable. Poor attempt at humor, or comic relief in this weak action story.

"morphine"- far too cliche. And surviving falling off of a truck- it removes her breath, but she still requires morphine and bandages? Far too far from plausiblity even in a sci-fi story.

Don't misbelieve that I enjoyed the other parts highly. They were juse story. I enjoy great detailed descriptions and outlandish insights. It is a story, simple and poorly composed. Even stories require some philosophy, some detail. Otherwise they are mediocre and stray from individuality.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#2 2009-07-20 08:07:03

Nadez
Wasted
Website

Re: An example of how *not* to write a critique

First. What the hell? Second, Fictionpress isnt a place for published Writers its for people who are just getting into the groove including teens, im astounded that he would break her story  down like that and in iditoic ways as if he was so qualified to bash her story...Thirdly I for one plan on reading this story and sending some positive feedback to her ive browsed it so far and found it quite good, this person is a TOTAL idiot.

#3 2009-07-20 18:06:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You're not being overly sensitive.  You know how I feel about flames, and this is one.  Had this person been so foolish as to make this post on this website, you KNOW what I would have done.  It would have been enjoyed and talked about for a week.  :evil grin:

The feeble attempts within this "critique" (flame) at positive feedback are weak and, to use one of the flamer's favorite words, cliched.  It is clear that this person did not actually enjoy the story, and you know one of my most important rules about critiquing:

If you didn't like the story, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. 

I would personally like to apologize to your friend, even though I didn't do anything.  I feel dirty for having READ the damned flame.  99% of what's in here is for a writer and her editor/proofreader to discuss... once those choices have been made, the reader should accept them, or not accept them and move on.  You don't badger the author because YOU don't like their style.  That's your problem, not the author's.

Have I made my position clear enough?  3dsmile

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2009-07-20 18:24:18

LAoW
Completely Blotto

I'd love to critique *his* critique, personally. All those "gosh" and "cliche" repeats got on my fucking nerves!!! RAWR!

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#5 2009-07-20 18:27:32

halmir
Inebriated

I would like to take his critique and strangle him with it.  If he was interested in critiquing, where the hell are his alternatives?  All he did was bash, bash, bash, bash, said "I liked it otherwise", bash, and bash some more.  A critique should explain what you thought could be improved and how to improve it!

Life: An endless journey that only changes to a different journey upon death.

Look out! There is a Klingon on your tail!

#6 2009-07-21 01:48:45

Imagineer
Wasted

Look past the details at the likely intent of this message -- this "critic" is a self-important prick who's trying to intimidate your friend into quitting. My first instinct would be to reply, "I see right through your 'helpful' criticism. You're trying to make yourself feel better at my expense. Next time just call me names -- that would be less cowardly. Better yet, fuck off, you passive-aggressive shitstain."

But it might be better to take the high road. "Thank you for your unsolicited submission. I regret that I must decline your offer to edit my work, as I already have an editor, and he's not a presumptuous asshole."

Hmm, that's not a very high road, is it? Perhaps just "Thanks, but no thanks. Do not contact me again."

#7 2009-07-21 02:28:33

Nadez
Wasted
Website

I wish he would come here. Id love to see Eric Take him down a notch or fourty

#8 2009-07-21 04:52:00

DLDzioba
Tipsy

Actual critiques are welcome. Encouraged even!

#9 2009-07-27 11:49:26

DLDzioba
Tipsy

Nadez wrote:

First. What the hell? Second, Fictionpress isnt a place for published Writers its for people who are just getting into the groove including teens, im astounded that he would break her story  down like that and in iditoic ways as if he was so qualified to bash her story...Thirdly I for one plan on reading this story and sending some positive feedback to her ive browsed it so far and found it quite good, this person is a TOTAL idiot.

I'd love that feedback. I'm struggling with chapter two.

#10 2009-07-31 04:34:47

Nadez
Wasted
Website

Then I will definitely read that soon, ive been slightly busy lately so I haven't had much time online

#11 2009-09-02 11:47:42

lordalpha
Wasted

While I think the*critique'er* has one or two points.....the way this was written is just wrong. Yes, alot of things are cliche and overused....doesnt matter. Flaming a writer to try and make yourself look better helps no one. I cant say I have read the story, but I dont think that kind of flame(I cant honestly call it a critique) is wrong for any type of writer. The problems he/she brings up are simple fixes that the writer can fix with his or her editor...not something(if anything) to flame about.

*scuttles off to read the story*

#12 2009-09-12 11:44:02

DLDzioba
Tipsy

Thanks.

#13 2009-09-27 06:26:15

DLDzioba
Tipsy

Critique would be much appreciated.

#14 2009-09-30 03:58:48

DLDzioba
Tipsy

Or not.

#15 2009-10-08 07:15:19

Nadez
Wasted
Website

We should ask Code 01 to Write a critique here, what do you think of the Idea Eric?

#16 2009-10-08 17:26:43

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

What makes you so sure we don't?  I mean, the "critique" that started this post sounds an awful lot like Code01...

misch_smiley

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#17 2009-10-13 08:47:38

Nadez
Wasted
Website

*grin* this person doesn't have quite as many spelling errors though

Board footer