The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-02 00:32:11

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Something to think about

While not directly political is still has political influence and impact.  Give it a watch it has some interesting, info.  In the end however only you can decide.

http://www.storyofstuff.com/

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#2 2009-10-02 20:18:55

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Re: Something to think about

I stopped at production. I couldn't do it. Why does it all have to be about "toxins" and bad stuff?  It's not ALL that bad. I'll grant you, a lot is. And I grant you, we have taken up a lot of resources, but as Eric points out, we may use a lot of resources, but ummm...where does all the crap we manufacture go? EVERYWHERE. Not just the US. There's a hell of a lot of export. Yes, we need to cut back and do it now, but I just couldn't sit and listen to that.

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#3 2009-10-02 21:42:00

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

This video was discussed on the Glenn Beck show last week. They're showing it in some schools. Which is just plain wrong. That isn't the point though.

A lot of this video, while not lies, is distorted truths.

Don't you just love the "tank" idea? That we should use a military weapon to symbolize our government. "After all, more than fifty percent of our Federal tax money is now going to the military." Another distortion. The ONLY way this can be true is if you leave out a few little tiny programs... like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. The truth is that more like twenty percent of federal taxes go to the Military. And they never mention that the military taking up so much money, has managed to keep this country pretty safe, and successful, for the last 200+ years. Minor point though.

"It's the governments job to watch out for us." Since when? Show me in the US Constitution where it says that the Federal Government is responsible for babysitting the American people? The American people endow the Federal government with certain powers, certain responsibilities. We have expanded those powers somewhat over the years with, or without, Constitutional amendments. But I'm curious where it states the government is responsible for taking care of us.

The corporations are BAD!!! Corporations are made up of people and provide MOST of the jobs in this country. I'm sure it was just a slip that made Ms. Leonard, a former Greenpeace warrior, forget to mention this fact though. She's right I'm sure, Bad Corporations!!!

She says, where she lives, in the United States, "we have less than four percent of our original forest left." Problem is, thanks to replanting, there are now more trees planted and growing in this country, than there were growing back in the 1970's. A couple million more in fact. They don't bother to tell this. Unlike Oil, trees are a renewable resource and we are renewing them. This video makes it sound like there are only so many trees in the world. As I said, a distortion.

Shall we go on?

#4 2009-10-02 22:59:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

A simpler point, Jefferson:  What is "original" forest?  Trees are constantly dying of natural causes (fires, lightning, bugs, etc.), and constantly being born.  There's no such thing as "original forest".  There is only environtmentalists' dream of six billion more trees instead of six billion people.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2009-10-03 20:25:14

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Jefferson, the distortion was what made me stop watching it. *sigh* Lovely bunch of nuts, we have here!

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

Board footer