Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-04 23:17:56

Veritas
Wasted
Website

Protecting Intellectual Property

Copy protection... how does it work?

Do all I have to do is write: "this is my work... no stealing"?

Do I need a lawyer or just witnesses?

Teach me people.

#2 2009-09-05 00:07:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Protecting Intellectual Property

If you are referring to "copyright", then the following is sufficient legal protection:
"© 2009 by Eric Storm.  All rights reserved."

If you actually expect to go up against someone stealing your material, then you would be advised to get a registered copyright, which requires sending your work to the Library of Congress.  Please note:  This isn't any more "legitimate" of a copyright than the other kind, it just gives you proof relating to date of creation and that kind of thing.

If you are referring to "How do I stop people from copying my file without my permission?".........

Good luck.  3dsmile

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2009-09-05 17:41:05

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Greetings

Some good information on Copyright from US Copyright Office here: http://www.copyright.gov/

Basic Info: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.pdf

FAQ:  http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

As I understand it, you own your work even without notice or publication by the mere fact of your authorship but registration with gov gives you specific legal rights to damages and even legal fees in the event of infringement. The fee to register each document is $35.

So I guess you have to weigh the cost of registration of each story against the likelihood of actually wanting to pursue a legal action against somebody who is posting or using or copying your work without permission.  Though I'd guess a registered copyright might assist in a "takedown request" to a ISP.   

For myself I haven't registered any of my works I would likely do so before submitting anything to a publisher or agent.  But check it out, lots of information to make your own mind

WarLord

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#4 2009-09-05 18:14:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Registration doesn't give you any extra rights.  It gives you a better chance of winning when you go to claim those rights.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2009-09-05 19:35:35

Veritas
Wasted
Website

Just the answers I needed.

Thanks!

#6 2009-09-05 20:16:33

LAoW
Completely Blotto

And for those wanting to know how to copyright artwork, one word: Watermark. It does, unfortunately sometimes ruin a lovely picture, but if you are so worried about someone stealing your work there, watermarks are wonderful. Photoshop has a watermark feature already.

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#7 2009-09-05 21:19:39

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Eric Storm wrote:

Registration doesn't give you any extra rights.  It gives you a better chance of winning when you go to claim those rights.

Eric

Sorry Eric Yes it does

The "extra" right to damages and fees and standing in court it is more than semantics - undocumented unregistered ownership is not as strong in protecting the author -  read the information. 3dwink

WarLord

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#8 2009-09-06 02:05:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

*sigh* Unfortunately, WarLord is right... AND you can throw out anything I said about not needing to register.  Since the only real "use" of copyright protection is to allow you to sue for copyright infringement, and since the following is part of the copyright law:

"Before an infringement suit may be filed in court, registration
is necessary for works of U. S. origin."

So... yeah, your work is, technically, protected as soon as you create it... but legally, that and $5 will get you a small cup of Starschmucks coffee, and not much else.  Once again, a law designed to protect the citizenry really only protects those who have paid off the government.  *sigh*

So, if you really expect that you're going to need to take someone to court, spend the $35 plus the cost of reproducing your work - twice, and the six months or so it's likely going to take to get your copyright certificate back.

*walks away muttering shit about how the government sucks worse every time he looks into it...*

Eric

----
Facebook page

Board footer