The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-20 04:48:26

AceMcCloud
Inebriated
Website

Public Service Message: Picture Insurance

If you're like me then you have either home-owners or renters insurance protecting the contents of your residence. Even a crappy policy provides some reimbursement to replace your stuff in the event of a disaster.

So how would one go about replacing family pictures in the event of a disaster?

The answer is: you have to plan ahead.

Obviously, if you are reading this then you have access to some kind of computing technology. In particular though, you need a scanner. You need to take the time to sit down and scan every picture that you want to preserve. This is long, boring work but if you skip this step then your pictures are not protected. Prioritize! Scan the 20 most important pictures now then come back and do the 20 next most important pictures tomorrow. If you have kids, get them to help you. Invite extended family over for a "Picture Scanning Party" - an evening of reminiscing and constructive work. Whatever it takes.

After you scan the pictures, backup the files. Every file should be backed up in three distinct places that are outside of your home. Most media degraded over time and you need to be sure that, if one backup is destroyed and one turns out to be unusable that there is a third copy. Just in case.

If you have done this then not only will your pictures be protected in the event of a disaster, but you will also be able to share those same pictures with your family. I have an entire album full of pictures from the 1920s of my great grandmother and her children. I'm sure that may of my cousins would love to see what their grandparents, great grandparents and even great great grandparents looked like - and I can share these pictures with them thanks to modern scanner technology.

Don't wait! Go do it now, before it's too late.

Ace

Stories on MP3 - The [Adult] Reading For The Blind project: http://www.asstr.org/~Stories_on_MP3/

Board footer