Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-04 01:44:39

WarLord
Wasted
Website

The Apocalypse is Coming; What to Pack

Greetings

Wired Gadget Lab gives a rather idiocyncratic list of ummm essentials.  Check it out. 

http://blog. wired.com/ gadgets/2008/ 12/the-apocalyse -i.html

Food for thought if you're thinking of Post-Apoc Lit or planning to survive a zombie attack...

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#2 2009-01-04 02:34:03

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Re: The Apocalypse is Coming; What to Pack

well gee the ipod touch loaded w wikipedia sounds alot like the omega file don't it

you'd be better off figuring out what books you'll need and digitize it

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#3 2009-05-17 23:07:35

Veritas
Wasted
Website

Speaking of a coming apocalypse...

The film adaptation of "The Road" is coming, starring Vigo Mortensen.

The trailer looks great.

http://warp-point.blogspot.com/2009/05/road.html

#4 2009-05-18 00:10:01

halmir
Inebriated

Sadly, the iPod and any other piece of technology might become useless IF the magnetic poles switch.  We are coming close to the next switching of magnetic poles for the Earth, they are on something like a 25,000 year cycle.  Since all technology uses electromagnetic forces to power and send signals to computer chips, they would be vulnerable to losing all data.  The most vulnerable would be memory chips and magnetic discs, like Hard Drives.

Life: An endless journey that only changes to a different journey upon death.

Look out! There is a Klingon on your tail!

#5 2009-05-20 03:54:17

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

only if there active when it happens if i remember right cause at the moment of the switch theres an EMP or somthing similar....but were soon going to not use magnetic storage its even now possible to digitize info in a crystal matrix using a laser

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#6 2009-05-20 14:20:55

halmir
Inebriated

Neitherspace wrote:

only if there active when it happens if i remember right cause at the moment of the switch theres an EMP or somthing similar....but were soon going to not use magnetic storage its even now possible to digitize info in a crystal matrix using a laser

I thought EMP would fry even unused circuits, plus the switch would change polarities on the chemical makeup of the circuits.  The truth is we really do not know what will exactly happen as this change is impossible to simulate in a laboratory due to the scale and power of the Earth's magnetic field.

#7 2009-05-20 17:46:06

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'm not sure anyone knows for 100% sure about the effects of EMP, but an article I just read suggests that such small battery-operated devices as iPods and PDAs are pretty much immune from EMP, for the reason that they do not contain enough metal to concentrate the EM pulse into dangerous quantities.  Things with long antennas, or connected to (or close by) power or phone lines are in danger because of the sheer amount of metal they are connected to.

As to a pole-reversal, my chemistry/physics isn't good enough to understand why it makes a difference which way "north" is on the planet, when it comes to an electronic device.  If the poles are reversed, isn't that more or less the same as me turning around and facing the opposite direction?

Now, the actual period of reversal itself... no one knows WHAT that's like...  But it seems to me that, if the electronics survive the period of reversal, they shouldn't give much of a damn which way is "North".

Or am I missing something?
Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#8 2009-05-20 18:23:06

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Uhhhh...you know...if the poles were reversed, it would be very bad for us, I think. Yeah, yeah...it would cause that whole apocalypse thing, most likely, but I'm thinking about the health factors involved here. I think it would fuck with our minds. We may not be like birds and be able to home in on due north, but I think we would notice if the poles were reversed. Grrrr...I hate this topic of conversation.

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#9 2009-05-22 03:14:32

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

i think ther COULD be soem deaths if a living things iron content is severly high (medical condition that causes it but i forget the name)

WOrst most ppl may get is a headache maybe some black outs

#10 2009-05-22 04:49:01

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

The reason an EMP fries electronics is because when the magnetic field collapses it causes a power spike across circuits.

I don't know if you did the same experiment I did in about grade four.  We did one where you take a nail, wrap some insulated wire around the nail then take a strong permanent magnet and move it back and forth.  With the wires hooked up to a low voltage light bulb we were able to make the light glow.

The same principle happens with the integrated circuits.  You apply power where power is not supposed to go and it don't work no more.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#11 2009-05-22 06:00:42

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Storymaster69 wrote:

The reason an EMP fries electronics is because when the magnetic field collapses it causes a power spike across circuits.

I don't know if you did the same experiment I did in about grade four.  We did one where you take a nail, wrap some insulated wire around the nail then take a strong permanent magnet and move it back and forth.  With the wires hooked up to a low voltage light bulb we were able to make the light glow.

The same principle happens with the integrated circuits.  You apply power where power is not supposed to go and it don't work no more.

I love it when you talk geek to me. Do it again? *sits with her chin on her hands and waits...*

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#12 2009-05-22 12:50:32

halmir
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

I'm not sure anyone knows for 100% sure about the effects of EMP, but an article I just read suggests that such small battery-operated devices as iPods and PDAs are pretty much immune from EMP, for the reason that they do not contain enough metal to concentrate the EM pulse into dangerous quantities.  Things with long antennas, or connected to (or close by) power or phone lines are in danger because of the sheer amount of metal they are connected to.

As to a pole-reversal, my chemistry/physics isn't good enough to understand why it makes a difference which way "north" is on the planet, when it comes to an electronic device.  If the poles are reversed, isn't that more or less the same as me turning around and facing the opposite direction?

Now, the actual period of reversal itself... no one knows WHAT that's like...  But it seems to me that, if the electronics survive the period of reversal, they shouldn't give much of a damn which way is "North".

Or am I missing something?
Eric

Actually, there is no period of reversal, there is a period of nearly zero magnetic field from the theories that I have read on this subject.  As I said there is no way to actually simulate the effects of this phenomenon due to the sheer size of this type of event.  However, there is a great chance that side effects like increased exposure to radiation would occur as the magnetic field does prevent quite a lot of cosmic radiation from actually making it to the Earth's surface.  That alone should fry just about every electronic device on the planet.

#13 2009-05-22 20:51:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Why would it?  What are cosmic rays going to do to electronics?  I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying I don't get it.  I understand how EMP, being an electron-affecting phenomenon, can affect electric circuitry.  But how are cosmic rays, which are simply photons without much effect on electrons, going to affect that same circuitry?

And SM:  An EM "pulse" is just that: a pulse.  You created an oscillating magnetic field.  This doesn't oscillate, it just moves past.  I am hardly a physicist, which is why I went to an article written by someone who knew about this stuff (or at least sure sounded like he did...)  What he said, and it makes sense to me, is that the EM pulse is only really dangerous to the equipment when it is connected to, or close to, (and by close, he said "within 8 feet") of large chunks of metal, like long ( > 30") antennas, or power lines, or phone lines.  The reason is that these large chunks of metal concentrate the EM pulse, and thus make it more dangerous to the electronics.

And halmir:  The point of "no poles" is a pretty good description of a period of reversal.  The question would be how long that period would last.  Seconds?  Minutes?  Hours?  Days?  MONTHS?  A lot of the question of how bad such an event would be is wrapped up in that question.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#14 2009-05-23 03:21:23

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

And SM:  An EM "pulse" is just that: a pulse.  You created an oscillating magnetic field.

I agree it would not be a sustained thing more in the nature of one big ass static discharge as the magnetic field collapses.  Running electronic devices are definitely more at risk, stuff that is turned off I would expect to be glitchy afterwards when integrated circuits are damaged on a microscopic level.  I did not mean to imply there would be peoples iPods acting like grenades or anything extreme like that.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#15 2009-05-23 07:34:54

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

so wait are scenes where the set of an emp but turn off the tech first so they don't suffer damage in movies and tv a case of bad movie science then?

and why would static effect data coded into optical media like c.d.s and the aforementioned crystals

#16 2009-05-23 19:51:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Again, from the article I read, you would need to turn the device off, unplug it, and move it about 10 feet away from the power lines.  The metal inside the device itself (unless it's some kind of honkin' huge machine, I suppose) isn't enough to concentrate the EMP to a dangerous level.  And if the thing has an antenna greater than 30" long, you would need to disconnect that, as well.  Just flipping it off doesn't seem to be sufficient protection; there needs to be a physical disconnect.

But again, this isn't my own knowledge:  If the article I read was wrong, then so am I.
Eric

----
Facebook page

#17 2009-07-03 15:50:59

mjsinjapan
Inebriated

All this 2012 and end of the world theory is really chapping my bum, didn't people learn anything from y2k? I suppose not.

Ah well, I bet there'll be some good deals on real estate etc in Dec 2012 as people think there wont be a tomorrow, buy buy buy 3dbig_smile

Board footer