Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#76 2007-08-03 01:47:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: julian gives up this was posted at ewp on the 12th

J.A.W. wrote:

Nothing kills my interest in writing more than something like, "I really enjoyed this story and look forward to seeing the next part."  If you enjoyed it, I want to know why you enjoyed it.  If you like it, but I know it's not good enough for someone to buy and I don't know why you enjoyed it, it removes all reason I have to write further on that topic.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if this is really true of you, then you are writing for all the wrong reasons.

Writing should be a personal activity, between you and your characters.  I have often said, I may post for the fans, but I write for myself.  If what the readers think of your story has any impact on whether or not you finish it... That's just... sad.

Sorry,
Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#77 2007-08-03 01:59:14

Imagineer
Wasted

J.A.W. wrote:

Nothing kills my interest in writing more than something like, "I really enjoyed this story and look forward to seeing the next part."  If you enjoyed it, I want to know why you enjoyed it.

Well, I think every writer wants to know why -- but given the paucity of feedback, I'd be afraid to demand that lest I get nothing at all.

Your comments surprised me. Between a "thank you" and silence, which would you prefer? Have you reached the point that you get enough feedback that the basic "thank you" is a creative deterrent? I'm genuinely curious, because your position does seem atypical, at least in the humble circles I've traveled.

I'm never at a loss for new ideas either -- indeed, I know I already have more than I can ever hope to begin, much less finish -- but I make a huge investment of effort and emotion into a story before I can start stringing words together. If I used a lack of feedback to judge whether to continue writing, I'd never get past Chapter One of anything, and I'd feel like I was killing all of my children. Maybe I need a new process; what's yours?

The real point though, is NOTHING encourages me to write like negative feedback.  Telling me you dislike something, and even more why you dislike it gives me something to strive for and work towards.

Fascinating. I've actually experienced that once -- someone said he'd hungrily read chapter after chapter of something only to be frustrated because I never actually got to the good stuff. It did have an effect on what came after, but I'm not sure it was better, just different -- and it made the writing harder. In a way, I never recovered 3dhmm

If a particular story doesn't generate the feedback (or cash, 3dsmile , not that I've ever gotten paid for anything) to help me, I'd rather drop it and try another story altogether in the hope of finding something that will 'click' with the readers.

But but but why can't readers just be thrilled to read what we want to write? 3dwink

#78 2007-08-03 02:37:44

siath
Wasted

Storymaster69 wrote:

siath wrote:

Hey, be nice.

Siath

If my comment was taken as not nice I apologize I was trying to have some fun with BR saying that she is good at getting the conversation going.

In general I would have not said anything. But, the way a read it, and we all know it's hard to show feelings online where you type, was kind of hurtful. Had you put a smiley face or something at the end to show you were joking I would have said nothing.

Sorry if I misunderstood your intention.

Siath

#79 2007-08-03 03:40:17

J.A.W.
Inebriated

Imagineer wrote:

Your comments surprised me. Between a "thank you" and silence, which would you prefer?

Silence.  I write because I have something to say.  If all a person has to say is "thank you," then they didn't get it.  What I had to say simply wasn't striking enough, or what they thought I was saying wasn't what I really saying, or something that I thought was interesting enough to write about wasn't.  Silence could happen for many reasons, but my assumption is that it's because my story has given the reader something to think about, which is a good thing.

Imagineer wrote:

Have you reached the point that you get enough feedback that the basic "thank you" is a creative deterrent? I'm genuinely curious, because your position does seem atypical, at least in the humble circles I've traveled.

It's more that I feel I'm simply not good enough for just a "Thank You" to be meaningful.  I want to write, yes, but more importantly, I want to improve.  If a story doesn't generate what I need to improve, then I'd rather work on something that will give me what I need.  After all, I'll enjoy writing anything that I write: good or bad, whether I finish it or not.

I realize my attitude is somewhat unusual, but as my writing's gotten better, I've run across more and more people with the same attitude.  I'm corresponding with one right now.  She's a professional editor and paid author.

Imagineer wrote:

If I used a lack of feedback to judge whether to continue writing, I'd never get past Chapter One of anything, and I'd feel like I was killing all of my children. Maybe I need a new process; what's yours?

Start with an idea.  Start writing. Reach a breakpoint in the story and put it out for comments.  If all it generates is "that's nice," start something new.  About 80% of what I write doesn't go beyond chapter 1 because it doesn't generate the right feedback.  I've yet to finish anything I've started.  Some things I've written come very close to standing on their own merits though, and I have finally (as of May this year actually) reached the point where I feel I'm good enough to write something worth finishing.  I never feel like I'm "killing" the stories, because I've never felt they were good enough to stand on their own.  I accept that they're stillborn and move on, possibly coming back to them later if I feel I can fix their flaws.  (There's this anime-style story I've been thinking of going back to . . .)

Looking back over this post I realize that there are a few things I've finished.  The main one is the writing exercise that convinced me that I was good enough.  "Take a traditional fairy tale and rewrite it for modern times."  I took "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" and set it in modern Zaire.  The story isn't very good on its own merits, but I can point to it as heading in the direction I want to go, and it is a complete story.

#80 2007-08-03 03:58:12

J.A.W.
Inebriated

Net Wolf wrote:

Writing should be a personal activity, between you and your characters.  I have often said, I may post for the fans, but I write for myself.

If it was just for myself I wouldn't have to write it at all.  I've imagined hundreds, possibly thousands of stories just for myself.  If I take the effort to write something it's because I want other people to read it.

#81 2007-08-03 04:10:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

That's very shallow of you.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#82 2007-08-03 04:28:40

TheNStorm
Inebriated

One brief word about writing: work.
One brief explanation of the brief word about writing: in 99% of cases a writer won't just get their work right the first time. No matter how much thought one puts into writing, revision is key to the entire process. Beit through one thousand and one edits, or through reading and re-reading and re-reading their piece, authors work. It's easy to get frustrated if a story isn't turning out the way it's expected to, but at the same time once a person has started the work- if it's important to them- they'll wait it out and finish. If the work isn't important to the writer what's the point of writing it?

J.A.W. wrote:

It's more that I feel I'm simply not good enough for just a "Thank You" to be meaningful.  I want to write, yes, but more importantly, I want to improve.

What better way to improve than the correction of your own mistakes? Of course, if writing for writing's sake is all that matters, then you have no problems. But if you're writing because you have something to say, isn't it better to finish your message and then move on?

Secondly, I doubt that anyone here doesn't have room for improvement. That improvement which we all seek comes from one source, a brief word: work.

The N Storm

Forever life confuses me

#83 2007-08-07 06:06:32

NahtanoJ88
Inebriated

Here is a though that might increase reviews put the feedback form above the story. I rarely see it during the story because I just never need to scroll down that far I use the keyboard to navigate the story and I personally have my browser set so the story just fits inside the window. I usually just forget and get side tracked and forget to review.

#84 2007-08-07 07:35:15

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

And as soon as I do that, 99% of the people who don't post here will scream bloody murder because I'm interfering with their reading experience.

The truth is that, short of requiring feedback in order to read the story (there's a thought...), there's really no way to get people to post more feedback.  Either they give enough of a damn to tell the author they liked the story, or they don't.  Unfortunately, most... don't.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#85 2007-08-07 16:44:01

TheNStorm
Inebriated

Hey! Quit making me feel guilty! 3dsmile I'll comment, with more than simple promises to comment, I promise!

-The N Storm

Forever life confuses me

#86 2007-08-08 03:38:17

NahtanoJ88
Inebriated

Would having a side column for comments next to the story be to unwieldy? Besides the fact that you would have to move the navigation around.

#87 2007-08-08 04:45:45

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Exactly.  That left hand column is already overcrowded.  Adding anything to it is only going to make the situation worse.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#88 2007-08-08 16:15:24

Imagineer
Wasted

The forum thread for the story is right there on the right-hand side of the story's main page.
There's a feedback form directly below the reading pane.

Short of Flash pop-up video ads from the authors begging for feedback while you read the story, entreaties for feedback can't get much more obvious or closer to the material.

Feedback is not a technology problem. It's a people problem.

#89 2007-08-08 18:06:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hmmm.  Flash pop-up video ads.........  3dbig_smile

Seriously, though, I understand the issue.  Unless you scroll the page - something most people probably never do - you don't see the Feedback form.  I'm just not sure the best way to fix the problem.  Perhaps if I also put a feedback form inside the story box itself, at the end?  That way they would be reminded it's there, but there would still be a feedback box on the page if they didn't finish reading the story, and wanted the author to know why...  Though doing so would almost certainly violate the Critiquing Guidelines... 3dsmile

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#90 2007-08-08 19:16:56

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

I'm not sure how hard this is to make but I've seen lots of sites with what I'm assuming is a Java script of some sort that lets you scroll the page but some sort of navigation bar actually follows you down.  Would it be possible to put say a 12 point high message that floats right at the bottom of the page reading something like:
"Your Feedback Is Important.  Please click here when you are finished reading and let the author know what you thought."

(color codes removed by Admin because they are not compatible with certain forum color schemes.)

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#91 2007-08-09 00:51:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I can pretty much bet that'd be annoying to people.  I know that the things that follow the screen in that fashion usually are.

Besides, I think putting a message right below the window would achieve the same thing... that is usually on screen if you have your window maximized.  (And why do people read with their windows not maximized?  How many things can you read at once, anyway??? )

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#92 2007-08-09 01:17:13

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

I'm not sure what screen resolution you keep your PC at but I primarily read on my laptop which does not let me put my resolution beyond 1024X768.  At that resolution the feedback window can be missed if you don't scroll the window enough you never actually see it.

Personally I still do see it because I habitually will scroll to the end of any page if I see more scroll bar but I don't think you can assume everyone will do so.

Just my $0.02 CND.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#93 2007-08-09 01:47:10

Imagineer
Wasted

On the story's main page (not a reading page) you could put the feedback box above the forum comment thread instead of below it. (This breaks the standard of a forum thread, where the reply box is at the bottom, but maybe that's worth sacrificing to put "feedback" in the reader's face.)

I downrezzed to 1024x768 and I see the "problem" with the Feedback Form... I hate to see any page get busier but a message right below the window (maybe centered text bracketed by down-pointing triangles to the effect of "give the contributor your feedback below") seems like a good idea.

I haven't paid attention to how the site looks on entry in a while... does a new visitor get exposed to the idea that creative people really really really want / crave / need their feedback? People problems can be helped by education, and even more by advertising 3dsmile

BTW, I think it would be better if the posters' signatures didn't appear in the story page's rendition of the forum thread. Some people apparently have rather effusive signatures, and on a page that's got a lot of info to convey, it's distracting. JMHO.

#94 2007-08-09 02:34:35

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Feedback forms on a non-reading page will never increase feedback for a story.  Fact of life:  People will not go looking for a way to give feedback.

No, there's not really a permanent notice that says, "Hey, Give Feedback!"  I don't know where you would put it... as if it wasn't a self-evident thing to say...

Let me throw this idea out there, since people are discussing Javascript fixes for this problem.

What if the left side items, ALL of them, were turned into menu items, in a Javascript-controlled, PHP-created menuing system with submenus that would appear in the place of all of the left-side stuff?  Since the menu would "pop out" options depending on the menu item you chose, it would significantly clean up the left side.  Plus, the feedback form could become part of the menu, making it easily visible to all.  At the very least, the menu item could direct you to the feedback form at the bottom of the page, so you could enter things there.

The problem with this, of course, is that it requires a *Javascript* menu.  Some people still don't run JS, even though the popup blockers take care of most of the BS caused by JS.  3dsmile

My tentative solution to THAT problem would be to allow people to choose a "Non-JS" option (the current page appearance) if they do not want to run Javascript pages, and have a Preferences setting for it on the site.

Thoughts, anyone?
Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#95 2007-08-09 04:12:33

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

I think that could work.  Again I don't know if this would work or not but is it possible to have what is obviously a text entry window below the menu with feedback as its header and if a person starts typing in it the box will then expand out covering the story section but giving lots of room with minimum wrapping needed.

If that is vapor ware then never mind.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#96 2007-08-09 04:12:45

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

For some reason, when they asked if it would be possible to add a side column for comments, I was thinking about having it on the right side, like the forum comments on the general author pages are.  The problem with that, however, is that there are people who already complain about the size of the readable story area as it is and adding a column on the right would narrow it significantly, I would imagine.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#97 2007-08-09 05:44:51

Imagineer
Wasted

Net Wolf wrote:

Feedback forms on a non-reading page will never increase feedback for a story.  Fact of life:  People will not go looking for a way to give feedback.

Most people have to pass through the main story page to get to the reading page. But if the feedback box there isn't effective, why have it there at all? Anyway, if you don't like the idea of moving it to the top of that page, don't do it.

No, there's not really a permanent notice that says, "Hey, Give Feedback!"  I don't know where you would put it... as if it wasn't a self-evident thing to say...

You should know by now that what you consider self-evident (or common sense) simply isn't. You are a person of exceptional intelligence and rationality. (This is, I suspect, a source of endless consternation.) Most people need hand-holding -- lots and lots of hand-holding. If you want something from them, being explicit and repetitive and flat-out smashing them upside the cranium with a message isn't overkill, it's just a good start.

We live in a passive world, where vast quantities of entertainment are served up with no feedback required. "Pay for it, or watch these commercial messages, then sit there and let it wash over you." The amateur writer and his/her insatiable thirst for approval/validation/reaction/discourse/analysis is, from the consumer's point of view, an anomaly. And for all the talkback that mass media gets, it's a tiny tiny fraction of the audience, and it's generally spent on the audience, not the creators, who are not so accessible or as mortal-seeming as you and I. I say that our audience is not well-versed in or thoughtful of the relationship we desire with them. They need education, and then they may need convincing.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

Of course, too much begging is unseemly, and too much education is preachy. People can only be dragged so far before kicking and screaming is involved.

As for Javascript, it's fine as long as it's used unobtrusively. I like things that don't get in the way. You already have a non-Javascript version, so there's little harm in you trying something new.

#98 2007-08-09 08:05:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Imagineer wrote:

Most people have to pass through the main story page to get to the reading page. But if the feedback box there isn't effective, why have it there at all?

It is mainly there because the forum thread is there, which is there mainly to help people who are undecided, decide whether or not to read the story.  It just seemed silly to have forum posts without a way to reply to them.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#99 2007-08-10 05:50:21

NahtanoJ88
Inebriated

This probably won't help but you could add giving feedback and reporting grammer or plot mistakes in the You Can Help! Time and Talent respectively. Or something along those lines for those people you look at the pages and don't see much that they can do or don't want to visit outside sites.

#100 2009-04-20 23:14:43

tploy
Tipsy

siath wrote:

I agree, I have 0 feedback from my last story posting. I have another chapter to post, but I have been holding off to see if anyone will post on the current one.

Siath

I'd just like to say that one of the reasons I haven't made any comments regarding your latest postings is that they are re-postings of stories you posted in the past althought the latest postings are part of a re-write, so I figured that any changes you have made are the changes you wanted to make to differentiate the repost from the original post. I didn't know that you were in the process of publicly posting your new material. I haven't read the new material yet So I can't comment on it yet.

Board footer