The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-11 10:31:19

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

? = " "

I HOPE I'm putting this in the right place.

At present I am voraciously devouring "Earth Base Alpha" by Siath. I'm up to chapter fifteen or so. The problem I have is a minor one and I found it origianlly when I was reading "Champions" by Sir Winston but put it down to an editing problem. Now, having found it in "Earth Base Alpha" as well, I have to wonder.

The problem is I keep finding question marks where it should obviously be quotes or an apostrophe. Is this an issue with the site? With the stories? Or With my computer?

-Jeff

#2 2006-12-11 21:10:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: ? = " "

The problem is this:  Their files use curly quotes, which Firefox cannot read unless you set the character set to "Windows"  (Something I am NOT willing to do, because Windows isn't the only operating system out there.)  Now, the site is currently *supposed to* filter these out upon upload.  If it's not, then there is an issue.  I will look into this and get back to you.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2006-12-11 21:51:52

Trekkie
Tipsy

Net Wolf wrote:

The problem is this:  Their files use curly quotes, which Firefox cannot read unless you set the character set to "Windows"  (Something I am NOT willing to do, because Windows isn't the only operating system out there.)

Heh, im using Firefox 1.5 on SuSE 10.1, and im getting the question marks.

#4 2006-12-12 00:20:29

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

If the authors uploaded the file before Net Wolf updated the filter, then they need to reupload the file in order for it to function.  I should know, that's how I fixed it.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#5 2006-12-12 03:44:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Unfortunately, there was a "gap" in that filter, that allowed for one of those "curly characters" through.  I have fixed the filter, so future uploads will not have this problem.  I just have to write a script to go through and re-filter all the previously uploaded files.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

Board footer