The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-16 08:30:20

Corvis
Inebriated

Oh how I loathe Carillion!

http://sandrateerunninginswva.blogspot. … eberg.html

When the land to build Community Hospital was donated, it was stipulated that a hospital would be built there, and there would always be a hospital there.  Carillion took Community Hospital over, and converted it into a school, reducing the number of hospitals in Roanoke City from two to one. 

Carillion adopted it's "clinic" plan, which meant that any independent doctors making use of Carillion facilities would have to become employees of Carillion, or do their business elsewhere.  Since Carillion owns every medical facility of any sort in Roanoke, that didn't leave the independents much choice.  When a reporter at the Roanoke Times (bastion of liberalism and guardian of the downtrodden) dared to cover the story, Carillion pulled its ads from the Times and expressed its displeasure.  Purely by mere coincidence the reporter was then removed from the hospital beat. 

For some strange reason, the City of Roanoke allowed Victory Stadium to deteriorate for a number of years, until most of it's seating area had become unsafe.  The complacent and utterly stupid people of Roanoke were too lazy to come out in strong numbers to try to save the stadium, so it was destroyed.  I said at the time that Carillion would be building something there soon, but people scoffed.  After all, the National Guard Armory is located on that piece of land.  N&W railroad donated that land to the city on the condition that it be used for public recreation purposes.  I was just being paranoid. 

Well, I heard today that the National Guard is to be kicked out of the armory so it can be torn down.  It seems someone wants to build something there...  Of course, this must all be a coincidence. 

Well, here's something that's not a coincidence.  There are whole sections of this city you can pass through and see nothing but buildings owned by Carillion.  Carillion has proven itself able to ignore trivial legal hurdles, like the terms by which the land for Community Hospital was donated and could be taken away, that would stop any mere mortal. 

Is there some hidden plan in motion?  Is Carillion a "non-profit" monopoly that pursues profit and power with the single-minded intensity of Ebenezer Scrooge?  How, should I know.  I'm just paranoid.

#2 2008-11-16 08:34:17

Corvis
Inebriated

Re: Oh how I loathe Carillion!

http://www.ls.net/node/707

More articles here.

#3 2008-11-17 16:21:42

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Re: Oh how I loathe Carillion!

sounds like a anti trust case if i've ever heard one

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

Board footer