The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-22 16:44:41

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Political Quotes

ok im NOT startign a flame war here

but when i heard this on 60 minutes last night i could hear McCain's campaign manager start to cry and Obama's cream himself

"I don' agree with what the majority of the American people think" John McCain (i might not have this quote 100% right to the word but that is what he said)

Last edited by Neitherspace (2008-09-22 16:45:15)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#2 2008-09-22 21:10:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Political Quotes

Yeah, well, I guess he's just busy clinging to his God and guns, huh?

Politicians are people; they say dumb stuff.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2008-09-23 05:33:40

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

yea but that was...my whole family in so may words said WTF!

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#4 2008-09-23 06:02:26

advancewar
Wasted

what did he say anyway or was that the edit ? i confuseled.....

life=books

#5 2008-09-24 04:17:35

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

hat was Verbatim or near as i can remember there was no cut or edit his face was seen the whole time

#6 2008-09-24 04:57:30

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Here is the COMPLETE quote, which has an almost completely different meaning in context.

[Taken from the 60 Minutes transcript]

Iraq was nearly the end of the McCain campaign. 60 Minutes went there with McCain shortly after the surge was announced, when more than 60 percent of the American people were against it.

"I believe that we can succeed and I believe that the consequences of failure are catastrophic. Those who say just withdraw then you say what next?" McCain said at the time.

"I wonder at what point do you stop doing what you think is right and you start doing what the majority of the American people want?" Pelley asked the senator.

"Well, again, I disagree with what the majority of the American people want. Failure will lead to chaos, withdrawal will lead to chaos," McCain replied.

McCain: Many political pundits said my campaign was over. Senator Obama moved to the left of his party and said we shouldn't, said the surge would fail, said it was doomed to failure, and still fails to acknowledge that he was wrong about the surge.

First, the actual quote was made years ago.  Second, he was describing his position about Iraq as compared to the polling data at the time.

Turns out, HE was right, and the majority of America was wrong.

Where's your problem with him disagreeing?

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#7 2008-09-26 07:28:51

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

all i said was when he said that i couldn't believe it

#8 2008-11-04 05:35:10

carlyse_09
Tipsy
Website

Thar was a nice quote...Is that the whole quote?

#9 2008-11-04 17:49:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

If you had read the entire thread, you would have found the entire quote, and the context in which it was made.

Eric

----
Facebook page

Board footer