The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-29 12:57:55

triton
Inebriated

Making up new words

I've got a working ISP again!  Yay!

I found a old book my uncle got when he was a kid.  It was a collection of "sniglets".  They are "words that should be in the dictionary, but aren't".  My uncle told me that there used to be a show where people could write in with ideas for new sniglets. 

I thought it was a shame people can't do that anymore, since they stopped making the show a long time ago.  Then I thought why couldn't we just make up words if we wanted to and post them here?  3dsmile

I'll get it started. 

Spamoflage.  A spam email that hides a virus.  "I shouldn't have clicked on that free xbox email!  It was a spamoflaged virus!"

#2 2008-07-30 08:03:32

Corvis
Inebriated

Re: Making up new words

Hmm.  A long time ago, eh? I remember that show, you young whippersnapper! 

But how about Hamnesia:  Any pseudo-scientific illness that afflicts soap opera characters so that they can pose dramatically and chew the scenery.  Often but not always amnesia. 

Alternate definition: When William Shatner forgets his lines.

#3 2008-07-30 16:00:44

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

urbandictonary.com

spanktacular to fail so badly that is praseworthy

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#4 2008-08-22 00:46:23

CSquared
Wasted

I rather like the section of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue (unfortunately finished now, since the host died, and no-one could possibly replace Humphrey Lyttleton) which is similar to this - new definitions for old words.  Like Frigate - a ship no-one cares about.

CSquared

Board footer