The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-06 23:16:54

Imagineer
Wasted

#the_mw_pub at DALnet

The Official Chat Room of The Mystic Wolf Pub has been getting pretty regular appearances from a handful of authors and other Pub frequenters, most evenings after 11pm EST. (And when I say handful, I mean at least one, because any one of us can be a handful all by ourselves... but often two, and sometimes four or five.)

If you're the type that prefers long comfortable silences in a chat room to long periods of inactivity on a discussion board, or you just feel less anxious letting off-the-cuff comments disappear into the Ether instead of carving them in digital stone, or you like the idea of witnessing the occasional intelligent conversation erupting like... something that erupts, you should stop by some time.

Chat Info & Rules
Java chat (for those without an IRC program installed)

#2 2008-01-08 01:08:54

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Re: #the_mw_pub at DALnet

I complete agree with Imagineer on this.  I don't know how much of a draw I am but I'm there most evenings.  I promise I don't bite 3dsmile

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#3 2008-01-08 03:01:15

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Maybe that's the problem, SM.  Maybe you should! 3dwink

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2008-01-08 04:12:14

SlaveMaster
Wasted

trust me when I say that his bark is worse then his 3dsmile

Welcome to The Mystic Wolf Pub

#5 2008-01-08 05:51:20

Khellendros
Inebriated

I am there most of the time too...

Not that anyone knows who I am...

Ellipsis...

Khellendros

#6 2008-01-31 01:42:28

SlaveMaster
Wasted

I'm moved to a new place and our internet provider is shakey so I'm having a hard time getting on to the chat and the site it's self. As soon as we get it sorted out I will be on more often

#7 2008-03-13 06:13:44

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

I just want to keep this topic fresh.  I also want to say that we really do need more visitors to the chat room.  In the past at a previous site's chat room we would every now and then have a scheduled chat where everyone would get together to talk about a chosen topic.  Would something like this perhaps help people that have been reluctant to come to the chat room break the ice?

Let's use this threat to brain storm ideas that would be interesting to the maximum amount of people and then try to settle on a time that a good majority of people can make it for.  Who knows people who have never done chat before might find it is an enjoyable experience and want to come again.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#8 2008-03-13 08:37:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, since you want to discuss chat ideas... I know that one thing that keeps people from joining the chat is, in fact, the software involved.  Lots of people don't like Java programs, and they don't own or want to learn normal chat programs.

Would people be interested in a webpage based (but still a streaming, rather than a continuously-reloading) chat room, based directly here on the site?

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#9 2008-03-13 08:42:30

unknown1000u2
Inebriated

I tried to connect using the chat function listed , but I got a non connect error.   I know zero about this.  Can anyone help me?  I clicked on the 'here' that Eric has for those of us who are uncomfortable with IRC , but this is where I get the error.  The first time it gave me a choice to load several programs, and like a dummy I cancelled that, and now it doesn't give me that choice again.  I think this is where I goofed up.  How do i get choice back, or how is the best way to do this?  Help!

#10 2008-03-14 00:21:31

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Okay a couple things.  I'm pretty sure when you first clicked on the "here" it was trying to install Java.  If it is not wanting to install on its own again you are going to have manually install it.  If you go here http://www.java.com and click on the Download button the site will pretty much walk you through what you need to do.

Another issue that I have personally run into is the newer versions of McAafee have decided that IRC is dangerous and by default blocks the communication ports <think hose that the IRC stuff goes through> is blocked off and you need to tell it to let you use it.

I would suggest trying the Java page first and if you still have problems I will try to walk you through how to get around the port issue.

Hope to see you soon.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#11 2008-03-24 05:55:43

AceMcCloud
Inebriated
Website

Eric Storm wrote:

Okay, since you want to discuss chat ideas... I know that one thing that keeps people from joining the chat is, in fact, the software involved.  Lots of people don't like Java programs, and they don't own or want to learn normal chat programs.

Would people be interested in a webpage based (but still a streaming, rather than a continuously-reloading) chat room, based directly here on the site?

Eric

If it is anything like what Nick Scipio has on his site the Hell No! What a piece of crap.

Ace

Stories on MP3 - The [Adult] Reading For The Blind project: http://www.asstr.org/~Stories_on_MP3/

#12 2008-03-24 06:12:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Since I have never once visited Mr. Scipio's site, I couldn't tell you.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#13 2008-03-24 07:57:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I looked at Mr. Scipio's page.  He is using phpMyChat.  The system I'm looking at is phpOpenChat, which can be found here: http://phpopenchat.org/index.php  I wouldn't even consider using phpMyChat, since their homepage is completely nonfunctional.  Hey, if you can't write a freakin' HTML page, I'm not gonna trust you to design a proper PHP chat system.

Feel free to give opinions.  This is hardly something I've decided on.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#14 2008-03-24 18:39:53

NahtanoJ88
Inebriated

This is a side note but it seems you have to be logged into the site to actually connect once your in the java chat. Most people should be logged in already but that may be stopping a few people from getting in.

#15 2008-03-24 18:50:09

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

Feel free to give opinions.  This is hardly something I've decided on.

Personal opinion IRC works, it is not really that hard to work with and there is the Java Chat despite its admitted limitations.

I very rarely sit in only a single IRC channel and functionality wise mIRC works very well for me.  I can't help but think that if I was stuck with a webchat system it would feel like a hindrance rather than beneficial

Just my 2 cents worth.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#16 2008-03-24 19:33:25

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

NahtanoJ:  You're right, you do have to be logged in to access the JavaChat.  It's called a "member privilege".  Membership to this site is free, but I do require you to BE a member to access a lot of the functions.

Storymaster: Which would you rather have, all of your chat windows in one program, or actual people to chat with? 

I'm willing to bet that you have your IM program open while you're chatting, so you do already have conversations going on in more than one program at a time.  YOU find IRC to be simple and useful, but there are a vast number of people on the Internet who are downright scared by trying to make IRC operate properly.  Others simply do not want to bother installing it for the one thing they might use it for: chatting on this site.  Not everyone is interested in internet chat in general; some people would prefer to chat only to a specific small group, like the site members here, and they don't think putting more software on their computer is worth it.  And we both know the JavaChat is sketchy at best; it doesn't even always work right.

I'm trying to find an answer to the original posted issue: lack of participation in the chat room.  With a PHP-run chat, I can post the names of the people who are currently in the chat on the website, thus perhaps encouraging others to join in.  I've tried to do this with IRC already, but I cannot get the PHP/Dalnet interface to work for the life of me.

I don't see why you would feel hindered by having another window for conversation.  (And my hope would be that the Pub chat was active enough that you did not have TIME for those other chat windows... 3dsmile )

Eric

----
Facebook page

#17 2008-03-26 09:04:56

SlaveMaster
Wasted

Chat junkys

StoryMaster69               
Khellendors
AceMcCloud
RoseBlack
NahtanoJ88
megamaster87
Jefferson
unknown1000u2
imagineer

Last edited by SlaveMaster (2008-03-27 04:46:01)

#18 2008-03-26 12:47:03

siath
Wasted

I used to go to chat, then people stopped coming. So I stopped going...

#19 2008-03-27 04:41:53

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Try the evenings.  Late (like post 9 eastern) evening.  You might be able to find people before then, but I definitely don't think you're going to find anyone before about 7 pm.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#20 2008-06-04 13:32:09

SlaveMaster
Wasted

Sorry guys wont be able to be back in the room for awhile my laptop is brokin (droped it) and rarely have access to a computer otherwise, so I will try to keep in contact as much as possible.

Board footer