The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-05 16:53:32

Tralist
Inebriated

Super Tuesday

ANy thoughts or predictions? Any shocks today? And if you are in a state that is yet to vote, how do you feel about being even further marginalized? (I am in a state that votes March 4. Somehow, I think the odds are good it will be an exercise in masturbatory civic duty).

"Good luck, Captain. I think you are about to go where everyone has gone before."
Commander Susan Ivanova, Voices of Authority

#2 2008-02-06 11:21:15

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Re: Super Tuesday

I figured it would end up being McCain and Clinton.

My guess is that McCain will pick either Huckabee (a real Reagan type conservative who'll give him more support from the true conservatives as well as help with votes in the south) or Romney (who'll help bring in votes from the liberal northeast) as a running mate.

If I was allowed to PICK who Clinton should take as a running mate, I would say NM Governor Bill Richardson, he'd be our first Hispanic VP, but I doubt she will. She's too vindictive to those who challenge her and just by entering the race, he challenged her. I imagine she'll pick either someone from the west coast, probably California, or someone from the southeast Bible belt (Ga, SC, Ala, LA, etc) part of the country to help bring in votes from there. She has the northeast and the bigger cities wrapped around her finger already.

As for the mastubatory civic duty, also being in a state that didn't vote today, I do feel rather marginalized but I doubt it will occur again. I think someone is going to have to run roughshod over whoever it is that runs elections, both on a Federal and state level, and I imagine campaign and election reform will be a major hurdle for whichever party wins. Don't count on this being the LAST problem we hear about during this election. Hanging chads anyone?

As for the winner, I'll HOPE for McCain but I expect Clinton will win. But she'll serve only one term. I think the American people, and the world, will see the mistake of putting "the bitch" in office and will fix it as quickly as possible. She might be the first POTUS to ever get a divorce while serving in the WH.

(For the FBI) Saying she'll serve one term is not a threat, it's a guess.

#3 2008-02-06 11:41:35

Tralist
Inebriated

I am hoping for a Mc Cain v. Obama in November. This super delegate nonsense that is allowing Clinton to get the nomination pisses me off as well. My guess is Mc Cain takes Huckabee. Mc Cain likes Huckabee, and does not care at all for Romney. Also, Romney's religion rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

"Good luck, Captain. I think you are about to go where everyone has gone before."

#4 2008-02-06 20:11:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Not to mention that, any "liberals" in the Northeast that would vote for a Republican in the first place, are already on McCain's side, given that he is the moderate Republican in the race...

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2008-02-06 20:15:14

Tralist
Inebriated

I like to think that McCain is the only real Republican in the race. Most of the rest are those religio-non-conservatives that took over the party with Newt Gingrich. The only notable exceptions to this are Mitt Romney, who is just trying to buy the white houase, and Ron Paul who is a libertarian.

#6 2008-02-07 03:51:18

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Apparently you're not familiar with the Republican party's history, then.

The thing is, there are two TYPES of conservatives.  There are fiscal conservatives and social conservatives.  "Real" Republicans are both.  McCain is mainly a fiscal conservative, and a social moderate.

In fact, Gingrich and those you say "took over" are, in fact, the real Republican Party.  The problem is that there needs to be a Centrist Party.  The reason there isn't is because it would split the GOP more than it would split the Dems, which means it would basically hand every election to the Dems, which neither the conservatives nor the moderates are willing to do.

It is impossible to call a religious person a "non-conservative"... it's almost the definition of social conservativism that you are a religious individual.  That's not to say there aren't right-wing nuts, just like there are left-wing nuts, but there is a difference between, say, the "Religious Right" and the Christian Coalition.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

Board footer