The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-25 19:30:26

Imagineer
Wasted

Reading recommendations needed

Help! I need books to read.

But before you dust off that list of your favorite Tolkkein disciples and Asimov clones... I'm looking for something specific.

Action. Fighting. Two men enter, one man leaves. Hero sneaks into the villains lair, stealthily taking out guards one-by-one, grabs the atomic mcguffin, then blasts his way out. Bank robbers jump into the getaway car and peel out just as the cops arrive. Brave soldiers stranded on planet Shezagoer help the peaceful natives fight off the winged beast Fuxitup. Captain Awesome goes toe to toe with Mutox.

Basically all the stuff I suck at. Okay, half the stuff I suck at, but I'll ask about your favorite sex scenes another time.

When I write anything that isn't dialog, I feel like I'm describing team yoga for the blind or olympic full-contact cat-herding using Logo. I'm not clever enough to write "My Dinner with Andre 2" so I'm looking for better tools to tell the stories already in my head.

So, if you've read something action-packed that knocked your socks off, that made you feel like you were right there taking it on the chin, darting through traffic, leaping off the wing with two angry henchmen and one parachute... I need to know what it is. If the story and characters are good too, all the better.

#2 2007-12-25 22:11:22

advancewar
Wasted

Re: Reading recommendations needed

harold coyle has a whole line of novels the first are alot more technical  and he starts getting more into the human side later on in the series. these are regular war based storys but not stuff thats actualy happened (to my knolege) the best of them ( and no you dont have to read the whole chain to understand them ) is called the ten thousand

also if you havent id recomend the destroyers book one and two, they are some of the best stories ( action wise around).

if these arent the kind of stories you would like tell me i can come up with more but id think those would be a good start

ill ask around between my friends and see if they have any recomendations they tend more toward the single person, and small team stories

life=books

#3 2007-12-26 04:18:11

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Dresden Files wizard who packs a .45 working as a PI in Chicago

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#4 2007-12-26 13:20:38

monbade
Inebriated

if your talking dead tree, then i would suggest the surrvivalist by Jerry Ahern or the Deathlands by James Axel or Winman by Mack Maloney all  three are exellent in my book.

mon

#5 2007-12-27 02:33:20

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

there is this one series if you can find it called WARBOTS about the US military in the 22nd century (i think tha the time frame i reed em like 15 years ago) if you can get past the army speak there pretty good if they showed the sex they probably have ended up on SOL lol

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#6 2007-12-29 06:06:28

AceMcCloud
Inebriated
Website

Elizabeth Moon (author)

William C. Dietz (author)

Al Steiner's story Aftermath

Stories on MP3 - The [Adult] Reading For The Blind project: http://www.asstr.org/~Stories_on_MP3/

#7 2007-12-29 14:18:25

monbade
Inebriated

Defently moon, also David Weber, Eric Flint, John Ringo

mon

Board footer