The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-24 21:16:19

dv8n
Wasted

trouble downloading some stories

I recently lost all my data, so I was downloading all of my favorite stories again... well anyway alot downloaded but a few did not

The ones I've had trouble with so far were Camp: Ron's Journey by Net Wolf and Earth Base Alpha by Siath.   I did not find any place else mentioning this so I thought I would.

The zip file almost completely downloads and then an error message comes up saying File cannot be downloaded. Cannot read from source disk   ...or something like that   and then it finishes the download and only the Cancel button is highlighted.

...I have downloaded other Net Wolf and Siath stories but it wouldn't allow these two for some reason

Please advise me what I should do Sir or Sirs.

:lol:

#2 2007-01-24 23:51:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: trouble downloading some stories

You will need to provide additional details, as this error is non-reproducible by the tech support guy (me).

I need to know:  browser & version, OS & version, connection speed, and the length of time downloading took.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2007-01-25 19:24:53

dv8n
Wasted

Ok well here goes...

*I'm running Windows XP home, and my browser is Internet Explorer version 6 ( I've got cookies   blocked but the pub is a trusted site and security is low for my trusted sites...don't know if that matters)

*Connection is Dail-up speed varies but usually 50.6 Kbps  download lenth has been about 2 minutes and 5 seconds everytime ( I timed it for you )  and it was downloading around 6.73 Kb/sec - 5.21 Kb/sec varying

*It has only happened on Siath's Earth Base Alpha Book 1 it allowed me to download book 2 AND
...Net Wolf's CAMP stories ( Ron's Journey and Sibling Rivalry) it allowed me to get Artifacts1, Cruel Timing, No Time in the Present, Justice Seven, Paladin, and Program Alpha and Omega with no problems...
Also no problems with Imagineers, Storymaster 69, Corvis, or Ace McClouds stories either, (so far )

* It acts like it is downloading all the way until the final dot fills in on the download bar then it gives me the Error message Cannot Copy File: Cannot read from source file or disk

* Oh yeah one more thing... I could read the stories no problem every page I clicked on it was just when I wanted to download the zip file ( all or even part ) that I had problems

Is this enough info?  If you need anything else just let me know ok?

#4 2007-01-25 20:00:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I have made a change to the download script.  See if it has fixed your problem.  I was actually tackling another problem that someone else mentioned, but since I have no clue what's causing your problem, I'm hoping they're the same issue.  3dsmile

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2007-01-25 20:12:05

dv8n
Wasted

well I know it just let me download Siath's EBA book 1
I'm on my way to see if it let's me do Camp

Keep your fingers crossed  3dbig_smile

#6 2007-01-25 20:24:32

dv8n
Wasted

okay THANK YOU ALMIGHTY SWAMI BEYON DANON DA   hehehe just kidding

Seriously NetWolf Whatever you did worked...

Curiously though I noticed something different this time... the last time I tried and failed it auto titled the story _Rons_Journey   but this time it auto titled it CAMP_Rons_Journey  weird huh?

anyway thanks Net  3dbig_smile

#7 2007-01-25 22:06:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Not considering the problem.  I didn't take into consideration the fact that some perfectly acceptable story-title typographical characters are illegal filename characters.  The stories you were having trouble with contained a colon, which isn't legal.  I fixed the script to convert all invalid filename characters to an underscore.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#8 2007-01-25 22:26:21

siath
Wasted

See Net Wolf is da master!

Siath

#9 2007-01-25 22:56:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

If I was "da master", I wouldn't have made such a stupid newbie mistake in the first place.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#10 2007-01-25 23:02:45

siath
Wasted

Hey, no one perfect! Well, almost no one, I am of course. 3dsmile

Hehehehe

Siath

#11 2007-01-26 06:16:21

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

siath wrote:

Hey, no one perfect!

Yeah, no ONE perfect. Except for siath. hehe.

#12 2007-07-21 00:13:29

tploy
Tipsy

The following message is recieved when attempting to download the story "ProgramAlphaOmega". Please check what needs to be corrected to enable downloading. Thank You.

Warning: file_get_contents(download/frameset.html): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/n/e/t/netwolfmwd/html/modules/send_download.php on line 170

Warning: main(/home/content/n/e/t/netwolfmwd/html/modules/download/nav.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/n/e/t/netwolfmwd/html/modules/send_download.php on line 188

Warning: main(/home/content/n/e/t/netwolfmwd/html/modules/download/nav.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/n/e/t/netwolfmwd/html/modules/send_download.php on line 188

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/home/content/n/e/t/netwolfmwd/html/modules/download/nav.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/n/e/t/netwolfmwd/html/modules/send_download.php on line 188

#13 2007-07-21 00:23:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Problem fixed, thank you for the heads up.

Next time, however, it should be handled a little more politely.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#14 2007-07-22 04:48:17

tploy
Tipsy

Sorry about the abruptness with the last message, I just did a (select all) (copy) of the error message I recieved when I clicked on the download button to be sure I informed you with the correct error message information Hope this new website works out. Keep up the good work.

#15 2007-07-22 08:50:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The error messages weren't the problem.  Those were appreciated; they helped me fix the problem in two minutes rather than thirty.

It was the impression of a "directive from management" that your note presented that I found... impolite.

Anyway, problem fixed.  Enjoy the site.
Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

Board footer