The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-22 05:25:37

NahtanoJ88
Inebriated

How to get the ideas on paper... or something

Recently I was in the chat room talking with a few of the authors and they all seem to have a problem writing down their ideas.

I am hoping that each author will share their own style when they are actually writing and maybe give each author here a place to refer to when they get stuck.

[23:11] Imagineer: I was up until... 3am? And I got... one new sentence.
[23:11] Storymaster69: Sounds like about what I wrote last night.
[23:11] Imagineer: Not even a very GOOD sentence.

[23:12] Imagineer: I don't need ideas. I have ideas. I just can't form sentences to express those ideas.
[23:13] Storymaster69: That is exactly my problem Imagineer
[23:13] Imagineer: Everything I come up with sounds like it comes from a third-grader's reading primer.
[23:13] Imagineer: No. Second-grader's.
[23:15] Imagineer: The old man shot a spear thing with a rope tied to it into the monster's shoulder.
[23:15] Imagineer: He pulled on the rope and the monster fell down.
[23:15] Imagineer: The monster was surprised and angry.
[23:15] Storymaster69: spear thing?

So the questions are:

How do you write down your ideas?
Where do you start?
How do you make it sound intelligent?

And I won't even ask how to get unstuck from writing.

#2 2007-03-22 22:01:17

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Re: How to get the ideas on paper... or something

thats kinda hard to answer i mean i have 4 or five stories right now that im working on (my Add make focusing on just one for any length of time really hard) but I personally find it hard to write down stories Esp when im ahead of where i'm writing in my head its tough to go backwards and put pen to paper(so to speak)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#3 2007-03-22 23:09:19

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I've been known to write a few sentences to remind me about an idea. Other times,if the idea forms out a little more I'll write a paragraph or two. Once or twice, the idea just grew as I wrote and I ended up with two or three pages with characters and ideas for plot and storyline, sometimes even a scene or two. My wife often aids in adding to the basic outline of the story. Throwing in ideas for twists or new characters or new sub-plots.

Once I start a story, I generally write small notes to myself, on a write-up sheet where I keep track of characters and such, or even at the bottom of the story, of what I need to write next or in the near future. I learned this lesson with one of my larger stories when I completely forgot to put something in. I did remember and put it in later.

This is one of the biggest disadvantages to writing without an outline.

I start the story wherever it feels comfortable. Usually where the idea originally started or just before if I need a lead in or to introduce a character. Only occasionally do I go back and add to the beginning of the story. I did it with "Summer Road Trip" but I think that's ONLY story I've ever gone back and added to later.

As for making it sound intelligent. I'm not sure they do. I've gone back and reread some of my stuff, especially the early part of Road Trip and to me anyway, it sounds very simplistic and obvious. Something a third grader would write, with the exception of the sex scenes anyway. But, to my best recollection, I've never gotten a truly negative e-mail or comment about Road Trip, much to my surprise. Everyone who wrote loved it. I may be blocking bad memories out though. 3dsmile

How to get unstuck from writing: Time, I think, is the only cure. Just let it sit.

#4 2007-03-23 02:10:09

CSquared
Wasted

I tend to have great ideas for scenes a lot later in a story.  By the time I get to writing them into the actual text, they'll be a long way out of synch, so I write them down and use them as a reference later on.  The best way to write, in my opinion, is disjointedly - don't try to start at the start and go through to the finish.  Write what comes, and fill in the gaps later.

If you're going to take that approach, however, it's a good idea to plan out the exact timeline so you don't get anything incongruous.

CSquared

#5 2007-04-03 10:15:55

dv8n
Wasted

shit if I had that answer I'd have stories for posting.  That simple

:lol:

#6 2007-04-03 21:43:33

Khellendros
Inebriated

I honestly find that a change in scenery is one of the best ways to get what you need to say out. I can never write from where I sit at my desk. I have a really comfortable chair in my living room which I have spent many a productive hour. Otherwise, in the public library in town the basement has some great chairs. It also has wifi. I turn my jazz on at a medium level, close my eyes, and write. After that first writing you can reread it, decide you don't like it and rework.

If you feel you need to change your work place, do it. The toilet, the beach, a closet, wherever you feel comfortable. Sometimes to get what you need to say out, all you need to do is change your mindset. If your desk has a wall built around, don't try to break the wall down, go around it.

Khellendros

Board footer