The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-03 17:39:56

Imagineer
Wasted

Bottled water

"Bottled water" used to mean there was something special about the water -- maybe it came from a pure mountain spring, or maybe it's from France or Fiji -- but since the soda boys got into the water business it seems to have become just "water that doesn't taste bad." (Maybe where you live that's still something special; I wonder if the bottled water craze isn't just a marketing coup but a reflection of the poor state of municipal water systems or their overzealousness in flouridation or their fearful over-chlorination.)

With Aquafina (Pepsi) and Dasani (Coke) bottles taking up significant grocery shelf real estate, I got to wondering...

Why doesn't water come in 2-liter bottles?

#2 2007-03-03 20:52:55

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Re: Bottled water

I've seen it in 2 liter (as well as gallons like milk) but i forger where?...huh

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#3 2007-03-03 21:59:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Not entirely sure, but I would imagine the thinking goes something like this:

"personal" bottle of water use:  Open, drink.
2-liter bottle of water use: Open, get glass, pour, drink
Tap water use: Turn on faucet, get glass, fill, drink

See the similarity in the last two?  Tap water is basically free (not really, but so inexpensive as to be insignificant...), whereas bottled water costs an arm and a leg.  With the convenience factor removed, the taste factor probably isn't enough to make people buy it.

If Neitherspace has seen 2 liter bottles, he's one up on me, though I hardly go about looking at water.  The gallon jugs in question, though were probably (not certainly) distilled water, and you do not want to drink distilled water that has been stored in a porous plastic container like a milk jug...

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2007-03-03 22:28:10

nightsecho
Wasted

i used to work in a grocery store/pharmacy and we sold the 2 gallon jugs of water both distilled and drinking water no 2 liters though exept sparkling water

we sold both distilled and drinking water like crazy we also sold baby drinking water(2 gallon size)

Imagineer wrote:

With Aquafina (Pepsi) and Dasani (Coke) bottles taking up significant grocery shelf real estate

dont forget deja blue(7-up)

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

#5 2007-03-04 02:37:51

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

i thinn the reason you don't find water in 2lit size alot if at all (i admit i may be wrong about seeing 2lit water) is $$ they can make 3 times as much selling you the water half a liter at a time (yes i know they have 1 liter bottles but most people buy the smaller sizes this time of year)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#6 2007-03-04 16:40:38

CSquared
Wasted

Woah, Coke are selling Dasani again?  I thought they got screwed over in a lawsuit about that?  Wasn't it stupidly dangerous, and just normal tapwater that they'd "filtered", actually putting horrible chemicals in it?  It certainly isn't on sale here in the UK.

CSquared

#7 2007-03-04 18:35:36

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Personally I buy a couple of 1.5l bottles once a month.  I will drink the water that came with the bottles then refill it with tap water just run through a Brita water filter.  I take a bottle to work with me and keep it at my desk and try my best to drink the entire bottle through out the day.

Why do I buy two bottles you might ask?  I do this because the plastic does break down over time I also like to switch bottles on alternate days.  I can't say for sure if this is helping at all but I figure it can't hurt either.

I also have a flat of 591ml bottles that I keep for when I'm going on a road trip or more often when I wake up in the middle of the night thirsty I will get one out of the fridge drink as much as I feel like having and take the rest back to my bedroom making sure I put the cap back on to avoid accidentally spilling it.

As for the pop manufactures getting into the bottled water business.  I think it is a logical progression for them.  It is likely just filtered municipal water from wherever the bottling plant is, but they are taking in water for the pop and nobody has complained the water is unsafe for that; so why would it suddenly be "bad" when they don't put syrups and carbonation into it?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#8 2007-03-04 20:36:31

Imagineer
Wasted

CSquared -- Wikipedia says (read: "I heard") the Dasani UK fiasco was an unintended side effect of the government requirement that bottled water must have calcium. Coke doesn't do that here in the colonies, where calcium deficiency is just a "women's health issue"... though Gatorade does add calcium in some of its Propel "fitness water" (water with electrolytes and B-vitamins). Hmm.

#9 2007-03-04 21:20:35

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Storymaster:

Unless it specifically talks about its source ("Mountain Spring Water"), most bottled water comes from municipal sources, and is simply re-processed for safety (and to remove the chlorine) before bottling.  If it mentions that it is spring water or something similar, it has to actually be taken directly from that source.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

Board footer