The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-14 03:50:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

A question about hard copy...

Over the years, several people have said they'd love to have a printed version of my stories.  Most (in the area of 99%) of publishers won't touch this stuff, but I have found a printer who does Print-on-Demand and has no qualms about printing erotica.

Here's my question:  Would you SERIOUSLY purchase one of my books in softcover form, and if so, what would you be willing to pay for it?  Please note that what *I* would have to pay just to get it printed is more than the mass-market softcover price, so if you're not willing to pay well over the "normal" price for paperback, then you're not willing to buy one.  What I want to know is how much you would be willing to pay.  Also, which of my completed novels would you like to have in print form?

1. CAMP: Ron's Journey
2. Artifacts I
3. Dragonseekers
4. Program Alpha-Omega
5. Warmth of a Touch

6. All of the Above... 3dsmile

This is just something I'm looking at to perhaps gain some income.  This thread is just to see if there's any point in me pursuing it any further.

Net Wolf

PS: I can also have them printed in hardcover, but I don't know what the cost for that is.  If you would only buy hardcover, let me know that, and how much you'd be willing to pay for that, too... but again, I can assure you the cost is going to be exorbitant...

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2007-02-14 04:37:40

J.A.W.
Inebriated

Re: A question about hard copy...

I thought part of the point of Print On Demand was that you could have things set up so that there was no cost to the author?  I remember looking at the printer Sharon Green is working through and thought that was the way it worked anyway.  Can't find the link I saw at one point anymore though.

Or are you talking about small lot printing?  I know some graphic novel creators who print their works in small lots and store them in a basement or warehouse until they're actually able to sell.

Then there's self publishing, which is another model, and I didn't understand it at all when someone tried to explain it to me.

#3 2007-02-14 06:53:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

This would be short-run publishing.  All "self publishing" means is that you have put forth the cost of printing the book yourself.  If you want to sell it on Amazon.com and to bookstores, you have to get an ISBN for it, and it makes sense to register your copyright.

I don't know about the regular POD services.  Most of them have content restrictions.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2007-02-14 18:56:41

CSquared
Wasted

Well, I'd certainly consider buying CAMP, Dragonseekers and PAO - if I could afford them at the moment, that is. XD

See, student living is expensive.  And my wallet got stolen.  Sucks to be me right now, I have NO money until Wednesday.

By the by, which publisher is this that you found?  If I ever get something finished, I'm considering publishing it in this manner, and as of yet I've found nowhere that would do it.

CSquared

#5 2007-02-14 21:15:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The company is Fidlar Doubleday. http://www.fidlardoubleday.com  When I asked them about printing erotica, they said they will not print nudity of any kind, as it might offend the employees who have to print it, but if the explicit material is strictly textual in nature, then it is not a problem.  Keep in mind, however, that they're just a printer, not a publisher: the books they print will come to you to do with whatever you will.  Sales and marketing are left up to you.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#6 2007-02-15 02:02:11

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

As you say cost is a factor when deciding if I would be willing to pay to a hard copy.  Before I can say for sure I would pay, I would have to know those numbers.  I wonder if the way they calculate costs if it is a per page or by say 0-300, 300-600 and so on?  If so could you make the books more cost effective by combining a few stories?  I personally would be interested in PAO, Artifacts and Dragon Seekers.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#7 2007-02-15 04:41:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Um.... apparently you're not aware of the length of my stories.

Artifacts I: 186 pages
CAMP: Ron's Journey: 700 pages
Dragonseekers: 445 pages
Program Alpha-Omega: 467 pages
Warmth of a Touch: 355 pages

As you can see, all but one of them is well over 300 pages in length.  I doubt combining them would achieve much in the way of savings, and truthfully, nothing could be comfortably paired with CRJ, except perhaps Artifacts, but... meh.  I could get price quotes for all of them, but I'm trying to get an indicator of interest.

You say you'd "need to know the price first"... but that is exactly the question I'm asking: what price would you be willing to pay?  My original question was not just "would you pay for hard copy", but "HOW MUCH would you pay for hard copy?"  It's easy for me to throw out prices and for you to say "No, that's too high."  I'm interested in what you are, in fact, willing to pay for the book.  If I can't make any money off your price, then obviously there's no point in printing it.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#8 2007-02-15 17:47:29

CSquared
Wasted

Well, I'm not sure how much books like that go for in normal life, but I think they're around about £12.99, with various variations.  That's what, about $26?  I'd probably be happy to pay anywhere from that to about £17-20.  Which roughly equates with a price of anywhere up to $40.  How much, roughly, would your profit be from that?  If any, that is.

CSquared

#9 2007-02-15 18:20:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

@.@

You do realize I said paperback, not hardcover, right?  I have not checked on the cost of hardcover...

Do mass-market paperbacks really cost £13 in the UK???

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#10 2007-02-16 05:47:24

dv8n
Wasted

Hey Net...I'll be perfectly honest...I would love to see your stuff in book form selling....I'd be like hey buy that it kicks ass...BUT (you knew there was one didn't you?) Me is a broke shit living hand to mouth...IF I had extra money I'd send it to you and try to talk you into adding a couple more stories and maybe authors to this site.  BUT I'm only speaking for me not everyone else...

It seems like alot of the profit to you would be ate up by the cost of actually publishing it in any form....but I'm unsure of the details besides what I've read here just now

:lol:

#11 2007-02-16 06:23:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

To give people a better estimate (and this is JUST an estimate) of cost,

CAMP: Ron's Journey, in paperback, would sell to you, the reading public, for $18.50.
CAMP: Ron's Journey, in hardcover, would sell to you, the reading public, for $30.00.

Smaller books will cost less, of course.

You are right that profit isn't as high as it was for, say, the CD-ROM... but sales of the CD-ROM have ended (or seem to have), and the thing about books is they're not computer-bound.  You can take a book wherever you want.  Donations to the site have not been forthcoming (Thank you very much to those who have donated, though!), and so I feel that people are more willing to pay for a tangible product, even if it means a vast reduction in profit percentage.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#12 2007-02-16 06:32:19

dv8n
Wasted

well if I had a choice I would rather it in hardcover because going with those numbers you get a better book for less money...but how does that do your profits?

#13 2007-02-16 07:01:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Those amounts were chosen to have the same markup percentage.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#14 2007-02-16 08:38:17

dv8n
Wasted

well I just meant it from this perspective...

say you buy a softcover book....most times it ends up trashed ( not everybody has xp like mine but anyway) cover ripped pages bent or torn..people treat it like shit.....now you pay $ 20  for it?  That's twice what alot are going for ( NOT SAYING YOUR STORIES AREN'T WORTH IT MY FRIEND )

Now say you buy a hard cover book...most people treat it like gold....it's their precious...so it's taken better care of all the way around.....with me so far?    Alot of Hard cover books are $ 25- $40 so $30 as an estimate is actually cheaper (in my eyes ) for a better stronger book than $10 less for a book everyone might treat badly because it's paperback

....does that explain my statements earlier?

PS ...and yes I know not everyone has evil people that mistreat good paperback books in their life BUT alot of people do and I was speaking on their behalf....also if any of you have these friends it's probably not a good idea to lend them your hard cover book either  3dbig_smile

#15 2007-02-16 13:37:25

CSquared
Wasted

Net Wolf wrote:

@.@

You do realize I said paperback, not hardcover, right?  I have not checked on the cost of hardcover...

Do mass-market paperbacks really cost £13 in the UK???

Net Wolf

Ones that size?  Quite often.  Although, I did some checking, and they are the upper range.  More usual is around the £7.99 range, so roughly $16.  However, my comment still stands - I personally would be willing to spend that much.  Of course, if I don't need to, then I won't be complaining. 3dwink

CSquared

#16 2007-02-16 20:55:18

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

dv8n:

You're thinking that people will buy a replacement book for the one they destroyed?  I doubt they're going to destroy it quickly enough for it to still be "in print"...  but maybe.

Using this same formula, btw, I could sell a combined book of Dragonseekers & PAO for $37.50, hardcover...  (Yes, I'm sure they ARE getting sick of me asking for price quotes.  3dsmile  )

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#17 2007-02-17 05:43:10

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Okay, here is my personal concern and it is the same sticky point I have regarding buying Siath's print offering for Earth Base Alpha.  The price is within my budget even though it is US dollars.  I worry however that due to the fact I live in Canada unless the printer has a system pre-setup for exports to Canada there is a risk it could get held up at the border then, I get nailed with an extra charge over above what I paid for the item.

I had this happen once with a video card I bought direct from the manufacture and was presented with an extra import bill for $20+.

I know this isn't your problem nor should it be but it is an issue for me.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#18 2007-02-17 06:11:31

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

True... but would hopefully not be a problem for things I send you, since the only way I can do it is to treat them exactly as I have treated my CD: thank you gifts for donations, which means the book itself has no commercial value, thus there should be no import fee.  Obviously, I can't guarantee anything, since I'm not the Canadian government, but the book would be coming directly from ME, not from the printer.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

Board footer