The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-31 18:09:57

kabalman2000
Tipsy

"My Stuff" page, "Display Info" button, does not work

How to see this:

Turn off javascript (presumably why the "Display Info" button is there)
    go to a "My Stuff" page
    pick a story
    click on the "Display Info" button

Result:

The area where the story details should appear flickers and displays the same "pick a story" message.

System:

window xp - Firefox 2.0.0.1 - broadband

P.S.:

Let me know if you want an honest critique of your web site (and where to send/post it if you do). I warn you ahead of time, because of the premise on which it is based, you probably won't like it (or even accept the premise).

#2 2007-02-01 00:23:58

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: "My Stuff" page, "Display Info" button, does not work

Then don't visit it.  Problem solved.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2007-02-02 00:11:27

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Admittedly, I know just about nothing about how this website works, but I'm pretty sure it's heavily dependent upon CSS and Javascript.  So if you, you know, turn Javascript off and then you're magically surprised when something doesn't work right, you're sort of being an idiot.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#4 2007-02-02 15:36:50

kabalman2000
Tipsy

Black Rose,

Since you "know just about nothing about how this website works," let me educate you a little bit.

First off, the whole point of CSS is to remove dependencies instead of create more. CSS separates the content of the site from the format. As such, it allows for easy use of things like readers for the blind and for users to over-ride the format locally. Something I do on virtually all of the sites I regularly visit. When some ignorant web designer thinks that 6 point type, dark green text on a dark purple background, or lots of boxes each with it's own vertical scroll bar is just the best way for me to view their site, I create an entry in my "userContent.css" file and make the site legible or usable. I have entries for this site. I'm a BIG fan of CSS.

That's a particular reason why I cringe when I read of Net Wolf's intention to switch the site to Flash. Flash tightly binds content with format; much more tightly than even a pure HTML sans CSS site. Since he mentions that he is also looking for a person to help with an accessible version of the site, I have hope that he just means to add flash elements without converting the whole site to Flash only.

As to javascript, I routinely browse with java and javascript turned off. I have to specifically allow javascript on sites I trust. I trust no-one with java. This is part of my secure browsing procedures and one reason why I don't have any trojans or root kits on my system.

Web standards state that when a site uses javascript they SHOULD provide an alternate means to activate the functionality (such as with a noscript tag). I commend Net Wolf in that he has done this virtually universally through the site. This is something that even most commercial sites do not do. They reason that since the standard does not say MUST they don't have to invest the extra effort.

My report is of a bug. By having a "Display Info" button it is obvious that he is trying to implement a non-javascript method of accessing the information. If he was going to require javascript, there would be no reason for the button. Since he is trying, I figured he would like some feedback that there was a bug and it was not working.

Lastly, and this is just a suggestion, if you're going to resort to ad hominem attacks you should really not admit your ignorance ahead of time. It sort of makes you look foolish.

#5 2007-02-02 17:02:24

kabalman2000
Tipsy

Net Wolf,

If you have not read my reply to Black Rose yet, please do so. I posted it first for just that reason.

As I stated to her, this was a bug report of a bit of functionality that was obvious it its intention and was not working as intended. Your response, "Then don't visit it.  Problem solved," was completely unacceptable. The problem will only be "solved" if you fix the button or remove it. Shooting the messenger is not a valid way of solving any problem.

The problem I refer to is, of course, the "Display Info" button not working. It is, however, more likely that you were responding to my offer to critique the site. Your response shows that you would have a big problem accepting what I had to say.

I posted information of a bug. I posted it in the correct place. I gave a complete description of the bug and how to reproduce it. I was factual and polite. I even offered help in making your site better and warned you, politely, ahead of time that you would probably not like what I had to say. I did not post the critique as part of a bug report or even post it anywhere else or even send it to you unsolicited.

What do I hear in your response? "F**k off!"

Perhaps I should reply in Pythonesque fashion, "How do you wish I f**k off, oh Lord?"

Instead of fixing the bug, instead of a polite thank you, instead of your trying to find out what qualifications I have to critique your site, I get "Then don't visit it.  Problem solved."

I have close to 30 years experience in computers, programming, database design, web design, and user interface design. When it comes to web sites, my opinion is a hell of a lot more informed than virtually anyone else here. Including yours.

So, am I going to tell you the primary principle of web site design, the one your breaking, the one you can't accept. Nope. I don't give free advice to the rudely arrogant.

#6 2007-02-02 19:34:25

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

See, here's the thing:  You wouldn't know "polite" if it bit you in the ass.  There is nothing polite about any post you made, which is why you didn't get polite in response.  Of course, it is clear from your attitude that "Polite" really means "groveling at your feet because you are so much better than everyone and they should acknowledge your L337 SK1LL2".  (Those who know me know how I detest that kind of "language" and how annoyed I would have to be to resort to it.)

Once again, I find that I am accused of the behavior being exhibited by the accuser.  In your case, you accuse me of "rude arrogance", yet that was EXACTLY what you displayed in your very first post, which is why you got rudeness in response.  And you mistake indifference for arrogance.  I wasn't dismissing you because I felt your opinion was invalid.  I was dismissing you because I didn't care what your opinion was.  There's a difference.

Do I care that you believe I'm breaking some sacred law of web design?  Not in the least.  I give exactly 0% credence to your opinion, given that you aren't even capable of realizing your own attitude problem.  Before you come back with "and what about yours?" or something similar, I KNOW and fully admit that I am harsh and abrasive.  Having to deal with people like you has made me that way.  You do not know everything, no matter how long you've been in the industry.  When the majority of my users, or even a significant number, start complaining about the design, I'll consider redoing it.  Until then, your "primary principle" that I'm supposedly breaking is IRRELEVANT, because no one else seems to care!

Clearly, you never bothered to pay attention to what was actually said, because I never intimated a desire to "convert" the site to Flash.  I stated that there would be a Flash VERSION of the site, for those who wished to use it.  And the whole REASON for that conversion would be to bind the design solidly with the content.  Some of us grow tired of having to re-write web pages three times to get them to look good in different browsers, and we like the idea of having to do the work only once.

So yes, I reiterate my statement:  If you don't like it here, don't visit.  I gain NOTHING by you being here.  You've made exactly THREE statements to this community, ALL OF THEM TO BITCH.  You have not posted a single comment to an author or artist, you have not joined in the conversation in any way, shape or form.  Your opinions and desires, therefore, carry exactly zero weight with me.  You have been registered for a month and a half, yet this is the ONLY contribution to the community you've bothered to make.  That makes you a leech, and we can do without you.  Did you honestly expect that I would bend over backward to kiss your ass, when you have done NOTHING to support this community?

I will - eventually, when I have nothing better to do - get around to looking at the Display Info button problem.  Or I'll get another webmaster to look it over, when he's not busy working on something vastly more important.  If you wish to protect your system by using only static web technology, that is your prerogative.  Don't expect everyone else to do likewise, or in fact to accommodate you.  The world does not revolve around you, and I, for one, won't be genuflecting before you just because you think I should.

This site is a hobby for me.  It's not a business in any way, shape, or form.  Yes, I am endeavoring to perhaps make a couple bucks off it, as lots of people do with their hobbies... but the level of donations is by no means an "income stream".  As such, I will put into this site as much time as is enjoyable.  People like you make it very much LESS enjoyable.  That means that one of three things has to happen:

1. I stop running the site.
2. You change your attitude.
3. You shut your mouth.

Since #1 isn't going to happen, I leave it to you to decide whether you do #2 or #3.  Should you choose to do neither, I will forcibly choose #3 for you.  I have neither the need nor the desire to put up with your brand of abuse.

Oh, and should you ever choose to insult any of my staff members again as you just insulted Black Rose, I will permanently ban you from this site without warning.  They don't get paid to put up with your crap, either.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

Board footer