Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-20 14:09:54

Veritas
Wasted
Website

Your Operating System

Hey everyone.

I have a few questions for everybody, but especially those of you who are more computer savvy.

What operating system do you use?  Have you used any others?  How do they compare and which do you prefer?

I've always been a windows user, but now that I am shopping for a new laptop, I'm thinking of trying something new.  I'm quite curious about Linux based OS's - especially Ubuntu.

Please contribute.

#2 2010-11-20 14:28:47

lordalpha
Wasted

Re: Your Operating System

I use both windows and linux here at home, and especially ubuntu.
Windows VS Ubuntu/linux

Windows

Loads everything IT might need at startup
Plays games, A LOT of games
Not as secure as it could be
Virus laden if you mess up 3dwink

Ubuntu
Loads only what you tell it it needs to load, making uptime quick
Can play some games using a windows emulator, like Wine. Some work, some dont, most require patience

Is a HELL of a lot more secure than windows. By its nature, the ROOT(read, administrator) is never used as an actual login. You give yourself root access when you need to, for short periods. You, as a user, have very little rights, compared to windows. Which is one reason why windows can be soo virus laden. Anyone who says that linux(or mac) dont get viruses, is an ill informed moron, but they have part of a point. Windows holds the market share, therefore, windows is targeted a lot more. There ARE mac and linux viruses, they are however, easier to combat due to their lack of frequency.

Now for the great news. They dual box amazingly well together. Load windows, then load ubuntu on top of it(Make your windows C: drive (Main drive) Only what it needs to exist(about 30-50 gigs) then make most  of the rest of it data files.

If, when you load windows you only make your C: and data drives, and use the remaining for ubuntu, they can share the data drive, and ubuntu can see the NTFS Windows drive.

If you are looking for a laptop, Try an asus one, asus makes some very nice laptops and they tend to try and play nice with ubuntu.

#3 2010-11-20 21:11:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I am unfortunate enough that Win-blows has been my primary operating system for most of my computer life, but I have used older versions of Linux, and also had heavy exposure to Unix, and fleeting exposure to old Mac OSes.

I know that Linux has become much more user friendly in recent years, but here is my only warning:  You WILL need to become more computer savvy to use Linux.  The learning curve can be steep or shallow, depending on how much you want to do, how quickly.

All the points LA makes are valid with the following *possible* exception:  Unless Ubuntu has prevented this by default, it is, in fact, POSSIBLE to run Linux as root, though you should never do so.  Someone who knows Ubuntu (LA?) will have to speak to this concept.  The last Linux version I used did not prevent me from using root as my primary account, it just recommended against it.

Linux IS more secure.  Note, there is no such thing as a "secure" computer that is connected to the Internet.  There is only "more secure", "less secure", and "Windows secure"  (Meaning it only requires the computer equivalent of a screwdriver or pocketknife to get inside...)  Linux and Mac OS X are more secure by measure of 1) simply having a better security system, and 2) being far less targeted due to their smaller share of the marketplace.

Ultimately, the question comes down to: what are you wanting to do with your computer?  Linux is NOT fully supported by all hardware vendors, and almost no game vendors at all.  There is a shitload of Open Source software for business/productivity tasks that will run on Linux (as well as Windows!), but the entertainment market is far more limited.  So you have to decide what you want to do, and whether the extra security and stability of the Linux operating system are worth the extra effort and occasional hassle you will have to go through in order to do what you need to do.

In my own case (just as an example), I'd love to be running Linux, but the 3-d modelling software I prefer does not have a Linux variant, and stuff I've read suggests that WINE will just... well, whine... (pun intended)... if I try to run it that way, so for me, Linux is not really an option.  (Yes, I'm aware you can divide the system and run essentially both OSes at seemingly the same time... but my computer isn't up to that kind of tasking.)

Hope this gives you at least a little guidance...
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2010-11-22 03:46:23

lordalpha
Wasted

You are right on that Eric, it is possible to run root as a user, however it does not allow this by default, and to actually sign in as root, requires a level of understanding (or google searches)

#5 2010-11-22 06:04:26

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

It is possible to run Ubuntu on laptops but given the more limited hardware support you may run into problems with some of the more exotic hardware laptops use.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#6 2010-11-22 07:37:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Unless you can find a laptop with Linux already installed.  There are a few.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#7 2010-11-22 14:40:37

lordalpha
Wasted

Actually, the asus series has pretty good linux support, that, and I have put ubuntu on some VERY odd systems, and gotten better performance, but as they say, prior performance is no indication of future results.

#8 2010-11-22 20:01:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You're also an IT professional, LA.  Can't expect everyone to manage what you can.  3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#9 2010-12-31 23:56:43

Imagineer
Wasted

I haven't run anything but Windows in several years.
I'm currently running Win7 x64. Works fine. But really so does MacOS.

Actually, I'm surprised at the utility of the iPad -- a guy at work has been using one all the time. He's become a bit of an app whore, and he uses it to access his Windows desktops while he's in meetings or on the couch. I wonder if for some people it might be useful as their only computer.

#10 2011-01-01 01:02:30

lordalpha
Wasted

I would have to guess that it would Imagineer, however for myself, and a LOT of people in IT, it is just NOT an option. I have never really been a fan of the smaller computers, even laptops, but the recent trend towards micro machinery has got me a bit on edge lately. I am not a small person, and by no means do I have small hands, therefore most of the "standard" keyboards are just TOO small, or too badly spaced for me to use(DONT get me started on touch pads, or multi-touch apps with that). I know quite a few people who only use a laptop or notebook/netbook for their computer. While I applaud them for that, I cannot get used to most, if not all netbooks, and there are only a few notebooks I have seen with a decently spaced, or sized keyboard. If it hinders my work that much, and I have to lug around a second keyboard, its just too much of a pain!!(I miss my old wifi/RF keyboard...foldable, large keys, nice spacing, worked about everywhere!)

Board footer