Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-25 05:40:20

Bridget
Barmaid
Website

To Whome It May Concern

To Whome It May Concern

David is a very boring man, who has a boring job and aboring life. That is until the Ailiens came.

Please read The Mystic Wolf Pub Critiquing Guide.

SITE CONTENT POLICY:  The administrator of this site will not reject, remove, or censor any story posted to this site based on the story's content.  No story shall be removed except for purely technical reasons (which will be worked out with the author so that the story can be reposted as quickly as possible), or due to a direct order from the site's hosting provider, a law-enforcement entity, or the story's owner.

#2 2010-06-30 16:16:52

Bd.Carlo
Inebriated

Re: To Whome It May Concern

Very nice, a well written story that draws the reader in from the very beginning.  the plot is interesting and flows well, nothing is stilted, and the grammar is very good.  please write more.

(posted from Chapter 1)

"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."  Elbert Hubbard
"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking." Jerry Seinfeld

#3 2010-07-02 01:12:53

James Marcus
Wasted

Thank you for your complaments, I have someone working on edditing it, I realised after I posted that a lot was missed the first time. I am almost done with Chapter two and once that comes back from the edditor, then I will be posting it.

#4 2010-07-03 17:15:39

Bd.Carlo
Inebriated

Cool, I will be looking forward to it.

"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."  Elbert Hubbard
"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking." Jerry Seinfeld

#5 2010-07-22 04:43:21

Bd.Carlo
Inebriated

another very nice installment,  some parts of this seemed stilted, which was, I think, because of sentience structure in those areas.  The story continues to draw me, and I am wondering what will happen to the characters now.  Well done.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

Last edited by Bd.Carlo (2010-10-07 04:24:58)

#6 2010-10-18 00:07:26

Lucky869
Inebriated

definitely eager to read more on this story : )

(posted from Chapter 2)

#7 2010-10-20 02:09:49

James Marcus
Wasted

Lucky869 wrote:

definitely eager to read more on this story : )

(posted from Chapter 2)

Chapter three is with the editor and will be posted as soon as I get it back and review the sugested corrections.

Telgar

#8 2010-11-02 06:26:17

Bd.Carlo
Inebriated

Another very good installment.

(posted from Chapter 3)

#9 2011-04-08 05:43:02

Bd.Carlo
Inebriated

This story is still getting better, so far you have avoided all of the usual major pit falls that people writing "man finds giant alien space ship" stories fall into.  So, good job and I look forward to the next chapter.

(posted from Chapter 5)

#10 2011-04-09 17:31:11

James Marcus
Wasted

Bd.Carlo wrote:

This story is still getting better, so far you have avoided all of the usual major pit falls that people writing "man finds giant alien space ship" stories fall into.  So, good job and I look forward to the next chapter.

(posted from Chapter 5)

Thank you for the feed back. So what would you say are the major pitfalls to "man finds giant alien ship" stories? So that I may continue to avaoid them.

#11 2011-04-12 02:45:26

RP2272
Tipsy

Just Read the first 5 chapters, Love it. Look forward to the rest of the story.

#12 2011-04-12 16:01:50

rayden
Tipsy

It's a really great story so far and i can't wait for the rest of it.

#13 2011-04-12 23:20:52

Lucky869
Inebriated

great read thus far, can't wait for more : )

(posted from Chapter 5)

#14 2011-04-15 08:37:53

Nijinsky
Tipsy

Great read, more please

#15 2011-04-15 16:27:40

Bd.Carlo
Inebriated

I think that the major pit falls in "man finds giant alien ship" stories, are 1. giving the protagonist to much power to fast, and you have done a good job easing him into it.  2. making the protagonist suddenly "all knowing," not literally, but just in the blink of any eye the protagonist is a seasoned commander, who know exactly what every one else is going to do, makes things boring.  3. making the protagonist all powerful, he/she/it has all of this amazing alien power, and everything works or just needs some fixing which take a week or maybe two, and then he/she/it thinks of some new way to combat the the enemy that the previous  owners of the ship never thought of in the hundreds of years they fought with the enemy, and he/she/it defeats them in a matter of months or even days in some stories,  Look at the tv show Stargate Atlantis for a good example of this type of story, the protagonists find huge alien flying city, it even comes with an ancient enemy and they still have problems.  one of the things being they never have enough power, so they are always looking for power sources.  That is my opinion on the pitfalls of this type of story, some people may have different opinions, but that is mine.

#16 2011-04-17 21:28:14

James Marcus
Wasted

Thank you for the sugestion, I agree with them and I will try my best to avoid those pitfalls.

#17 2011-04-18 06:38:15

Bd.Carlo
Inebriated

just to clarify I'm not saying that that the protagonist can't can't come up with some new way to combat the enemy, if he/she/it didn't they would most likely loose the same way the previous owners did, it just can't be some thing that lets them win in a matter of months or days.  Again, just my opinion.

#18 2011-04-18 08:16:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I would think something that lets them win in a matter of *months* would be acceptable.  Not days, though.

Mainly, it should not be something so astoundingly obvious that a trained chimpanzee would think of it.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#19 2011-04-19 19:04:25

Bd.Carlo
Inebriated

Exactly.

#20 2011-05-16 04:33:16

James Marcus
Wasted

Bd.Carlo wrote:

just to clarify I'm not saying that that the protagonist can't can't come up with some new way to combat the enemy, if he/she/it didn't they would most likely loose the same way the previous owners did, it just can't be some thing that lets them win in a matter of months or days.  Again, just my opinion.

Well I can say that once the motivation and time to write return, that is will definatley take longer than days or months for the Enemy to be defeated, and all the Ideas wont just come from the main character.

#21 2011-08-11 01:19:26

aces8998
Inebriated

great story cant wait for more

(posted from Conscripts and Recruits)

#22 2011-08-11 03:02:21

James Marcus
Wasted

Bd.Carlo wrote:

I hope this latest chapter reflects your request and shows just how far they have to go and how much they have to learn.

james

#23 2011-10-22 06:03:17

gadget
Inebriated

Spent a pleasant evening reading the complete story so far. It reached out and grabbed me early on and continued to hold me to the end. Would like to see more very soon!

What?

Your not done yet?

Please, next chapter!

#24 2012-03-13 03:04:23

ThePhoenix
Tipsy

started reading this 2 years ago and loved it, was REALLY looking forward to finishing it now that I finally remembered it only find only a couple of new chapters :'( more please please please

#25 2012-04-06 19:09:25

Freon22
Wasted

I have always liked Science Fiction stories and well written ones are hard to find sometimes. I just finished chapter 3 and I have to say I am loving this story. It is well written and keeps me wanting to read more. GREAT JOB and GREAT STORY!

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

― Abraham Lincoln

Board footer