The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#2201 2023-10-25 03:48:46

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Re: Writing Status

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I have only one experience with pneumonia myself and hope you have a swift recovery.

#2202 2023-10-25 05:10:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah, it's my first go-round with it, as well.  So far, I'm not a fan.  I give it 2 stars... with possible lowering of rating to come.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2203 2023-10-25 06:11:20

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Take care of yourself and get as healthy as you can.

#2204 2023-10-25 14:20:18

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Hope you get better soon.

#2205 2023-11-24 10:32:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for November 24, 2023:

Agent of Change, Chapter 26, is finished and with the reviewers.  I am hoping to have it posted to PRM on December 1st, but I make no promises.

As a health update:  I am over my pneumonia, am on meds for my blood pressure and blood sugar, and am more or less back to "usual" for me.  (I refuse to call myself "normal".)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2206 2023-11-24 16:04:18

Kalderza
Tipsy

Awesome, glad  you are over that crud.

#2207 2023-11-25 00:33:51

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

I am over my pneumonia, am on meds for my blood pressure and blood sugar, and am more or less back to "usual" for me.  (I refuse to call myself "normal".)
Eric Storm

I am glad to hear that you are recovering as much as possible from your illness(s)

#2208 2023-11-26 08:51:31

Saran
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Update for November 24, 2023:

As a health update:  I am over my pneumonia, am on meds for my blood pressure and blood sugar, and am more or less back to "usual" for me.  (I refuse to call myself "normal".)

Eric Storm

First, glad to hear you are getting better and over the crud that is pneumonia.

As far as Normal... Normal is a construct by which society deludes itself thinking that we can fit into a box.

If we were all Normal then we would all be the SAME.  And that's just NOT true.  I'm sorry, Normal doesn't exist and if it did, Life would be BORING!!!!

#2209 2023-12-01 07:20:18

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for December 1, 2023:

Agent of Change, Chapter 26, has been posted to PRM.
Agent of Change, Chapter 20, has been made public.

As of last night, I have written over 200,000 words this year.  Likelihood of reaching my quote (250K) is still pretty slim.

A heads-up to those who pay attention:  The first of The Immortal Chronicles is nearly finished.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#2210 2023-12-01 07:29:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Saran wrote:

If we were all Normal then we would all be the SAME.  And that's just NOT true.  I'm sorry, Normal doesn't exist and if it did, Life would be BORING!!!!

Statistically, I think "normal" would be defined as "within one (possibly two) standard deviation(s) of the median", which leaves a lot of room for variation, depending on the curve.

Normal exists.  Accepting that you might be "not normal" while also accepting that a great many people are normal, is far healthier, mentally, than denying the very existence of normality.

Of course, I'm not sure that any of those "normal" people visit HERE...

3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#2211 2023-12-02 02:19:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update #2 for December 1, 2023:

The Immortal Chronicles: Plus Eight: Lady Aberlin is Missing has been completed, and is with the reviewers.

For those who have not been paying attention:  The Immortal Chronicles is a short-story anthology of various events that happen in David Stroud's life after the war is over.  They will cover a wide range of time periods.  They will not be written in order.  This first one takes place 8 years after the war, but that does not mean there won't be stories that happen 1, 2, 4, or even 1/2 years after the war.

I do not know when I will post this.  I might wait until Christmas Day.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#2212 2023-12-03 02:50:36

Saran
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Saran wrote:

Statistically, I think "normal" would be defined as "within one (possibly two) standard deviation(s) of the median", which leaves a lot of room for variation, depending on the curve.

Normal exists.  Accepting that you might be "not normal" while also accepting that a great many people are normal, is far healthier, mentally, than denying the very existence of normality.

Of course, I'm not sure that any of those "normal" people visit HERE...

3dsmile

Eric Storm

In case it wasn't understood... the comment was way more 'tongue in cheek' than a real belief.  As, yes, the way it's phrased is exceptionally tight on the definition of normal... 

Truth is, you are right.  Statistics (aka sadistics) has a lot to say on what the 'norm' or median is.  But then I was speaking more figuratively, and again tongue in cheek. 

However, I will say that outside of statistics, societal norms do lean to a "small" set of what is normal... vs what is taboo, vs what is kinky.  Yes, there is a range of what is not taboo, but there is a LOT that is taboo and kinky is generally NOT considered normal.  Yes, there is still variation on normal, but there is a grain of truth to the theory that if we were all normal, based on societal norms, it would be boring.  (At least for those of us that know we are NOT normal.)  Well perhaps not boring as we'd all feel the same and so it would all be exciting...  maybe?

Last edited by Saran (2023-12-03 02:52:19)

#2213 2023-12-03 03:58:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, fair enough:  The "tongue in cheek" aspect did not come through, at least for me.

As to whether "normal" exists in a sociological sense... eh, that's a debate I don't feel like getting into.

3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#2214 2023-12-11 10:15:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for December 11, 2023:

Tempest of the Flames, Vol. 4: The Tempest of the Flames has been started.

For those who do not remember, the Tempest of the Flames series is a set of short stories.  You can find them listed with my other short stories, under the Tempest of the Flames title.  Vol. 4 is the final story in the series.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#2215 2023-12-11 23:12:59

sinsfire
Inebriated

Glad to see you writing more. Even if you don't hit 250k, you've done some great work this year. Thanks for keeping us entertained.

#2216 2023-12-12 06:08:58

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

sinsfire wrote:

Glad to see you writing more. Even if you don't hit 250k, you've done some great work this year. Thanks for keeping us entertained.

Here, Here!! Right on!! I agree wholeheartedly.

Silver linings and all that!!!

#2217 2023-12-24 23:47:21

dustbunny
Tipsy

Eric Storm wrote:

Update for December 11, 2023:

Tempest of the Flames, Vol. 4: The Tempest of the Flames has been started.

For those who do not remember, the Tempest of the Flames series is a set of short stories.  You can find them listed with my other short stories, under the Tempest of the Flames title.  Vol. 4 is the final story in the series.

Eric Storm

I do remember those, and enjoyed them very much. I'm glad to hear that you're continuing them!

#2218 2023-12-25 07:34:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for December 25, 2023:

HoHoHo!  Merry Sexmas... er, Christmas!  3dsmile

The first story of The Immortal Chronicles, titled Plus Eight: Lady Aberlin is Missing, has been posted.  All of TIC will bypass PRM, and go directly to public posting.

In case you choose not to read the story description notes:  The short stories are all titled as follows:
Plus <time>: <title>.  <Title> is exactly what it sounds like: the title of the story.  Plus <time> indicates how far after the end of the Third Were War this story takes place.  If <time> is just a number (like "eight"), then it represents years.  Thus, this story is "Plus Eight", so, eight years after the end of the war.  Any different sort of time measurement would be stated explicitly.  (Such as "Plus Six Months" or something similar.)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#2219 2023-12-25 19:33:41

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

And a wonderful, merry Christmas it was.
Thank you for a beautiful gift.

#2220 2024-01-01 17:45:08

sinsfire
Inebriated

Happy New Year's Eric. Thanks for an entertaining 2023 and hopefully a good 2024. Be safe, be well.

#2221 2024-01-03 14:00:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Here's hoping, but I have to say, it's not starting out particularly well...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#2222 2024-01-24 01:50:37

Bwsc
Inebriated

I'm curious about how you wrote/keep writing all of these different stories. Though I have zero idea how you come up with the different stories, how in the world do you keep all of the different situations or even character straight after writing for such a long time? Do you have ideas for Agent of Change, David Stroud or even Artifacts 1 and 2 planned for the stories or just write what comes to your head and expand as it goes? The way you write has intrigued me in a way of trying to understand how you prepare for future writing while not repeating what has already been written.
That being said, simplifying my question is as easy as asking do you jot down ideas for future/current projects or just write what comes to your head?

#2223 2024-01-24 04:04:41

Elessar
Completely Blotto

First and foremost, I come to you with a warning. That warning is... trying to understand anything Eric does is a hazard to your mental healthy, he is a crazy crazy man.

Bwsc wrote:

The way you write has intrigued me in a way of trying to understand how you prepare for future writing while not repeating what has already been written.

Bwsc wrote:

Do you have ideas for Agent of Change, David Stroud or even Artifacts 1 and 2 planned for the stories or just write what comes to your head and expand as it goes?

Don't quote me on this, but as far as I can recall, unless it is part of the Immortal Chronicles, I don't think there will be any additional adventures for David.
AC is in progress and if I recall last, he is part way through the next chapter but life is always a constant struggle.

A1 and A2 I believe are both completed stories. I think there may have been talk of a third one but I honestly do not recall.

Regardless, I believe his writing process does require some sort of structure, starting with jotting them down and then finesse through them. Discord is a good place to chat it out with him or any other authors that have joined the chat as well as other readers that are there.

#2224 2024-01-24 04:31:44

Bwsc
Inebriated

Elessar wrote:

Don't quote me on this, but as far as I can recall, unless it is part of the Immortal Chronicles, I don't think there will be any additional adventures for David.
AC is in progress and if I recall last, he is part way through the next chapter but life is always a constant struggle.

A1 and A2 I believe are both completed stories. I think there may have been talk of a third one but I honestly do not recall.

Regardless, I believe his writing process does require some sort of structure, starting with jotting them down and then finesse through them. Discord is a good place to chat it out with him or any other authors that have joined the chat as well as other readers that are there.

Totally misspoke when talking about the stories, I meant it as being worked on in the past tense rather than currently for like WA and A1/2.

As for discord, I didn’t know if this forum would have been better or there. I took a guess and I could be wrong in this scenario. I guess I thought this kind of question directly related to writing status but could be asked in a less formal setting too.

Either way, my question came from curiosity since I’m taking a writing class at college and was curious about the process, but I should have made it a more open question to others as well!

Last edited by Bwsc (2024-01-24 04:32:45)

#2225 2024-01-24 04:37:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

First, Discord is a HORRIBLE place to try to talk to me, unless you've made arrangements to do so in advance.  I don't even open my Discord app on a daily basis.  Now, I'm perfectly willing to arrange a time when we could chat on Discord, but just randomly popping in to say hi has a roughly 1 in 10 million chance of working.

Further, I do not believe that Bwsc was listing stories he was interested in hearing details about, but instead using them as examples.

Now, on to Bwsc's question:

Bwsc wrote:

do you jot down ideas for future/current projects or just write what comes to your head?

Yes.

3dsmile

My method of writing differs from story to story.  Much is dependent upon how seriously I'm taking the story in question.  For instance, The Woodward Academy series had a great deal of prep work, including outlines and the calendars that were released with the stories.  On the other hand, Agent of Change is a much less serious project, that I am mostly working on by winging it.  I tend to dream up the events for the next chapter right before I write that chapter.  That said, there are a few plot points that have been planned out for the future, and yes, I write those down, because...

IF YOU DON'T WRITE IT DOWN, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

That applies to you having a cool story idea, as much as anything else.  I cannot count the number of cool story ideas that have not made it into a story because I forgot what they were. 

So, the level of preparation is all down to the particular project.  Woodward and Artifacts had major planning from the get-go.  (Yes, there is an A3 planned.  And an A4  The series will end with the fifth book, which is not structured the same as the first four.)  Other projects had only minimal planning.  There are (hopefully) upcoming stories that already have entire outlines.  There are other stories that will never have an outline.

As to keeping the characters straight... Elessar said it:  I'm crazy.  3dsmile 

But seriously, it's no harder for me to keep my characters straight than it is for you to follow six different television shows each season.  In fact, it's probably a lot easier for me: I don't get confused about which character's on screen in my stories.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer