The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1551 2020-06-23 02:54:30

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Re: Writing Status

Well David’s personality leans more towards giving back everything except for maybe the boat, and a few other things he has spent money on, such as business ventures etc. so I could see David giving back the same amount he got plus a little bit of interest.

Eric Storm wrote:

That would be entirely up to David.  Jacob signed his entire estate over to David; he has no legal claim to it whatsoever.

Eric Storm

#1552 2020-06-23 05:09:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

... You apparently have no comprehension of David's personality, then.  What you're suggesting would negatively impact his family, thus NOT something he would even contemplate doing.

Yes, he would certainly make arrangements to set Jacob up comfortably, but AT MOST, he would give back HALF.  Doing anything else would be irresponsible.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#1553 2020-06-23 18:56:41

ChiefRock
Wasted

Even if David offered, Is it likely Jacob would accept? It seems unlikely to me he would. I could see jacob accepting back the house if David offered for sentimental reasons But neither David or Jacob care that awful much about riches.  This situation will likely happen will it not Eric? I know it might be decades but when the last male issue dies---

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#1554 2020-06-23 22:58:49

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yes, when Dailey's son dies, all of the trapped demighosts will be freed.

You can assume David would negotiate with Jacob as to who gets what... especially since some of Jacob's stuff has been trashed... (Home on Lake Stikkendon almost certainly NOT in good condition right now...)

Jacob could go one of two ways:  He has either grown used to austerity, and suddenly having all that luxury would feel too overbearing, OR, he could be sick and tired of being poor, and want to return to his life of "style".  A third option, I guess, would be for him to want the thrill of rebuilding his wealth from almost nothing...

Which way will he turn?  Only the Shadow knows... mwahahahahahahahahahAH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! *cough cough cough sputter hack* 

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#1555 2020-06-23 23:06:30

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I like the idea that the Dailey‘s would be killed during the war, and suddenly tons of Demi ghosts are freed to help in the war (doesn’t seem likely). As well as the possibility of the history of Jacob, his history as a demighost, how he got trapped, up until he meets David. As well as your idea, him rebuilding his wealth from scratch.

Eric Storm wrote:

Yes, when Dailey's son dies, all of the trapped demighosts will be freed.

You can assume David would negotiate with Jacob as to who gets what... especially since some of Jacob's stuff has been trashed... (Home on Lake Stikkendon almost certainly NOT in good condition right now...)

Jacob could go one of two ways:  He has either grown used to austerity, and suddenly having all that luxury would feel too overbearing, OR, he could be sick and tired of being poor, and want to return to his life of "style".  A third option, I guess, would be for him to want the thrill of rebuilding his wealth from almost nothing...

Which way will he turn?  Only the Shadow knows... mwahahahahahahahahahAH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! *cough cough cough sputter hack* 

Eric Storm

Last edited by Elessar (2020-06-24 04:55:15)

#1556 2020-06-24 02:56:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The youngest male Dailey is a toddler.  Given that they lived in Clarvinobs, they would have been forced to evacuate.  The likelihood of him being in any place even remotely dangerous is somewhere between nil, and Quayde's chance of winning a humanitarian award.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1557 2020-06-24 04:55:34

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Still like the idea, however remote.

Eric Storm wrote:

The youngest male Dailey is a toddler.  Given that they lived in Clarvinobs, they would have been forced to evacuate.  The likelihood of him being in any place even remotely dangerous is somewhere between nil, and Quayde's chance of winning a humanitarian award.

Eric Storm

#1558 2020-06-24 06:37:03

ChiefRock
Wasted

Unless you start another series in this universe this scenario is unlikey just not enough time to generate it  is fun to contemplate though. Demighosts as a general population are unlikely to want to help anyone. Only way could I see a group of demighost warriors would be some sort of greatful loyalty to David and that just seems unlikely

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#1559 2020-06-24 07:26:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You guys act like there would be hundreds of these guys.  Jacob was imprisoned by Levi's grandfather.  That means one every 75 years, on average.  So... 13, over the course of a millennium.  It's not like there would be a regiment of them.

And they would obviously not be as powerful as David.  He did, after all, get OUT of the trap...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1560 2020-06-24 09:32:36

bigfoot
Wasted

Has David told Jacob about his impending freedom? I know it wasn't covered in the book but I've wondered if David had given any thought to NOT telling Jacob yet. Given how long Jacob has been imprisoned (certainly with the belief he would be there for all eternity), telling him would almost be cruel. "Hey Jacob, guess what? I killed the great grandson of the guy who imprisoned you and made sure there can be no future male heirs. Therefore, when the last male Dailey currently living dies, you'll be free." Can you imagine how long the next 150 years or so would then seem to Jacob? Suddenly, time would have meaning again. Like I said, it's cruel. I'd pose it as a hypothetical, ask him if he'd want to know and go from there.

As to Jacob's former fortune, I can't help but think he and David would be friends after his release and David would definitely give him a healthy amount because why not? David is building his own wealth from his potions and certainly has the ability to be a big earner in the future. With everything in his life (well, death), money is something he has never had to worry about (and will never have to) even if he empties his coffers directly into Jacob's pockets. Hell, if he finds out everything is kosher at Woodward, he could be a professor and live in faculty housing earning money from his inventions.

#1561 2020-06-24 14:25:55

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Assuming that Woodward Academy doesn’t get destroyed somehow.

#1562 2020-06-24 18:02:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Bigfoot:

What you're forgetting is that time had stopped having meaning to Jacob even before his incarceration.  He's a demighost, and has been alive for hundreds of years.  Personally, I think I'd like to know that, "Hey, I'm not going to be stuck in here forever..." even if it meant still having to wait 150 years or so.  Keep in mind, he has the entire Eternal Compendium to read; he won't be bored.  Plus, now he can daydream about being back in the real world.

To answer the question you asked, no, David hasn't yet told him.  He hasn't had the opportunity.  There will be a scene near the end of the book, when David goes to see Jacob to catch him up on what's been going on.

thehilz:

SHHHHHHHHH!  That's a secret!

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1563 2020-06-24 21:04:51

bigfoot
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

There will be a scene near the end of the book, when David goes to see Jacob to catch him up on what's been going on.

Excellent. I've wondered about that, coming full circle as it were.

#1564 2020-06-24 21:32:15

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

In David's case, it's more like an irregular octagon than a circle.  3dlol

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1565 2020-06-25 04:58:21

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

In David's case, it's more like an irregular octagon than a circle.  3dlol

Eric Storm

Are you sure that it's not a regular triacontakaihexadecagon?

#1566 2020-06-25 06:37:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No, it is definitely not a "regular" ANYTHING.  3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1567 2020-06-27 20:46:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for June 27, 2020:

Just a milestone:  WAY8-13 is now 15,000 words long and rising.  It is anticipated to reach the 20,000-word mark, at least.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1568 2020-06-27 20:47:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

PS:  If you want to practice your anger management, try dropping a 60-lb table on your toe - the toe that used to have an ingrown toenail in it, so no longer has any reasonable protection...

...in public.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1569 2020-06-28 00:31:45

bigfoot
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

PS:  If you want to practice your anger management, try dropping a 60-lb table on your toe - the toe that used to have an ingrown toenail in it, so no longer has any reasonable protection...

...in public.

Will this be the impetus of David's true dark side emerging?

#1570 2020-06-28 01:43:32

peace2300
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

...in public.

Eric Storm

Sweet mother of god! And now that toe has been reshaped. I've felt that pain before and it's not pleasant.

#1571 2020-06-28 06:24:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

bigfoot wrote:

Will this be the impetus of David's true dark side emerging?

No, MINE.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1572 2020-06-28 06:26:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

peace2300 wrote:

Sweet mother of god! And now that toe has been reshaped. I've felt that pain before and it's not pleasant.

I'm still feeling that pain.  Thankfully it has lessened somewhat.  Weird part is, the toe's not even bruised (yet?).  Honestly, I expected a sock soaked in blood when I took my shoe off, but... nothing.  Except unending, nasty-ass pain.

And holding in curse words is bad for you.  I'm certain of it.  "Fuddruckers" only takes you just so far as a curse word...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1573 2020-06-28 19:42:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for June 28, 2020:

The Woodward Academy, Year 8,, Chapter 13, has been finished, and is with the reviewers.
The Woodward Academy, Year 8,, Chapter 14, has been started.

Chapter 14 will be the final chapter of the book.

...Probably.

Eric Storm

PS:  Chapter 13 ended up being over 23,000 words long.  That's WHY there's a chapter 14.

----
Facebook page

#1574 2020-06-28 22:34:08

JBPayne
Inebriated

Just admit the truth Eric. You don't want the story to end any more than the rest of us.

#1575 2020-06-29 01:39:29

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

JBPayne wrote:

Just admit the truth Eric. You don't want the story to end any more than the rest of us.

Probably more like finding something else that hadn't yet been resolved.

Board footer