The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#651 2017-09-02 01:50:44

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Re: Writing Status

Augur, in David's word there are currently 3 different worlds for him to explore.  If scientists are correct about the sun expanding to the point where it swallows the earth then in a few billion years he's down to two worlds to explore.  If Duguerra's sun is as similar to Earth's sun as Duguerra is to Earth then he might be down to just one.  Sure hope he can find another world by then, or help colonize and teraform Mars.

#652 2017-09-02 02:25:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update #2 for September 1, 2017:

The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 1: June is now public.
The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 7: December has been posted to PRM.

Let's hope I'm not cutting WAY7-8 quite this close. 

3dsad

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#653 2017-09-02 02:43:30

Augur
Wasted

3dsmile   You can ALWAYS choose to die. Even now. As for the rest, eternal life means people don´t feel the same need to reproduce, besides at the moment when immortality treatments begin to be accesible to t he masses (treatment will always have a price), then interplanetary, may be even interstellar travel will be viable. I could go on explaining coping mechanisms, etc., but in short all the problems you rise are surmountable. And in the grand scheme of things aren´t critical per se.

#654 2017-09-02 03:42:25

Augur
Wasted

Barbarian:   Yes and no. Per se it´s quite improbable that the magic and haven reality layers/universes would be just of the size of the Earth. As such those reality layers/universes should be as big as the prime reality we live in. If not, depending on the physical basis for their existence, then such layers/universes should exist in all the places where the proper conditions are met (for example the condition could be the existence of intelligent beings on that location, or whatever other conditions Eric would like to specify). Anyway for now I assume that they are more or less the size of our prime material universe, and due to the fact that magic also exists on Earth, not just on Dugerra, it´s reason to think that Dugerra is equally real (material) as the universe we live in giving credence to the idea of equally sized universes in all the layers (or at least on the Dugerra and Earth layers). As such there should be weak points or points were realities collide and portals exist all throughout the universes. As in portals on Mars, other planets, other star systems, etc.  As this is a world created by Erics imagination, he would be the one to answer those questions if he were to be so inclined. Finding portals may be easy or difficult, but somehow those first portals between Earth and Dugerra were found originally. So it´s not impossible.

Thank you Eric for your new chapter. Great as always.

Last edited by Augur (2017-09-02 03:42:53)

#655 2017-09-02 04:04:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I love how you write off the human condition as "not critical".  So long as you have your immortality, the rest of the world can burn, eh?  Personally, I think mass poverty, starvation, and failing resources are a bit more important than "gee, let's go look at that neat planet!"  Having said that, I have no desire to waste any more of my resources on this discussion.  We will simply have to agree to disagree.

But as owner of the site, I'm right.
3dtongue

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#656 2017-09-02 14:32:53

Augur
Wasted

Sorry Eric, but you don't get it. Human condition what? For example I currently have one child, I may have one or two (unlikely) more. Being as I'm not an ausentee parent children represent a really large investment of my time. I'ts not something I would undertake easily. So may be if I were to be immortal may be I would be willing to have more children every few hundred years. More than likely in very small numbers. It's not like I were to employ all my free time in making children as some would suggest. Also as for the rest of humanity there are answers for your arguments regarding superpoblation:
1. The treatment would probably be very expensive at first. Even if relatively accesible it wouldn't be accesible to all of humanity for quite some time.
2. Being immortal and knowing it would give a different perspective on life. Same as now in developed societies people don't hurry to have children waiting up to 30-35 years or longer before having children, because people don't feel prepared financially or mentally to have children till then. Quite probably knowing they have literally all the time in the world, a lot of people would postpone having children much longer.
3. Being as we are talking the future, it's quite probable we will have interplanetary travel by then. Some time later even interstellar travel. With colonies on other planets, humanity WILL have space to grow.
4. Etc.

Of course this is a large and complex subject and I have presented just some of the larger compensation mechanisms, but those are the reasons why I don't consider the arguments you expressed in your previous posts as having critical impact. There are more. The possibility of immortality would be just one more aspect of our lives and be taken into account. Worst case scenario, reproduction could be limited (no more than 1-2 children) on Earth, but if you moved to the colonies, restrictions could be lifted. Anyway, as I said, not a critical factor in my opinion.

We can agree to disagree, of course, and you could pull rank as the owner of the site 3dsmile no problem. Still it seems to me that our opinions on this matter may be somewhat divided, but not radically so. As in living forever (or for a very long time) could be interesting, but you think the limitations of our current planet would make it unviable. If there were a way, or ways to remove those limitations, you would actually agree with my position. So may be there is no actual need to pull rank? 3dsmile

#657 2017-09-03 04:19:29

JJ Richards
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

But as owner of the site, I'm right.
3dtongue
Eric Storm

Rule #1: I am ALWAYS right!
Rule #2: If wrong, refer back to Rule #1

😉

#658 2017-09-03 07:13:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Rule 1 precludes the existence of Rule 2.

3dtongue  3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#659 2017-09-03 07:14:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Actual Rule 2:

Rule 2: If you think that I may not be right, you're wrong.

3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#660 2017-09-16 03:19:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for September 15, 2017:

Do I even need to say this?  There will be no release of WAY7 next month.  I haven't even started the chapter, and I'm really not in a position to write on it now.  I won't be back to my normal surroundings until the end of the month.  September has been a complete wash, creatively.  Let's hope I can pick up in October and gain some momentum.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#661 2017-09-16 04:40:39

fathertyme
Inebriated

*gasp* *shock*

3dtongue

I was just thinking to myself the other day that with all the crap going on, that there was no damned way you could finish up a chapter this month.

Get your house in order, then worry about the story (and in this case, I mean that literally *grin*)

-father "waiting with zen-like patience" tyme

#662 2017-09-18 11:40:03

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Eric, I sent you an email the other night telling you to be safe and that I looked forward to the new chapter in Oct. but I meant Nov. Take care and I hope everything works out for you getting everything back home cleaned up.

#663 2017-09-25 00:30:30

bigfoot
Wasted

I recently re-read WAY Chapter 7 thru Dec and had a question. Is there any relevance to the lone hold-out to David's advancement to Level 1 potion master (the vote was  265 to 1)? I cannot help but think this has something to do with the targeted incidents directed at his friends. Then again, I cannot recall a specific potions master who had issues with David. Just a thought...

#664 2017-09-25 12:16:44

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Just my opinion, but I think it is rare to get a unanimous decision in that kind of thing.  There always seems to be at least one dissenter.  It could also be that someone in the quorum was racist against demighosts.  Anyway, I'm not sure that particular event had anything to do with targeting David's female friends.  But I could be wrong and you could be right.

#665 2017-09-25 19:21:20

bigfoot
Wasted

I've long felt that the person(s) responsible for targeting David's friends are either his former conjuring professor (Quayde) or one of the male Savolars. The attacks are meant to be personal to David and require knowledge and skill, either or both could be purchased (which lead me to the Savolars.

#666 2017-09-25 21:09:00

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

It very well could be the Savolars, but it would have to be Marcus' grandfather, of whom we know nothing about other then the Judge implying he had wealth and/or power of some kind... I guess it could also be fame or infamy.  Both Marcus and his father have shown themselves to be cowardly,of limited magical skill, and just not very bright so it would have to be an unknown Savolar.  Although I guess the mother could be cut from a different cloth so to speak and be doing things to avenge her son and husband on the down low.  Maybe she is the real brains in the family. 3dwink

Another possibility is that the were nation, having used divination, has learned of David and they are targeting him to distract him.  I haven't heard of David putting up any kind of privacy divination magic on himself to prevent it.

If you want a ludicrous possibility, then just maybe the King or someone in the Calamandian government is doing this.  It would be plausible though unlikely that their divination masters have learned that David needs to be pushed in a very specific way in order to become a force for Calamandia.  So they could be behind it, in order to get Davids skills and abilities to grow.  If the Savolar grandfather is in the government then maybe the higher-ups know what he is doing and just not stopping him.  This could be very dangerous though if David ever found out.  I think this would really piss David off and he would either seek vengeance or completely walk away from Calamandia for a few centuries.

#667 2017-09-27 06:04:43

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I will answer bigfoot's question only.

Barbarian is essentially correct:  I simply didn't want it to be unanimous.  One person dissented for whatever reason of their own.  It wasn't significant in any way.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#668 2017-09-28 17:58:28

bigfoot
Wasted

Thank you for clearing that up. I suppose you aren't going to reveal any hints as to who is behind the rash of targeted incidents against David friends... nah, didn't think so.

#669 2017-09-28 18:43:53

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Sure I will.  In... "a few" chapters...

3dangel

Eric Storm

Definition:
a few - a literary device referring to a number.  The number is whatever the hell the author wants it to be.  This device is used specifically to deny the reader specific information.

----
Facebook page

#670 2017-09-28 20:52:00

bigfoot
Wasted

After some thought, my money is on Devyn. She has the intimate knowledge of who is close to David, the requisite wizarding skills to pull off said harm and the unrelenting belief that David wronged her. Plus, given that she was at a slave auction ready to buy, she clearly has no regard for the law. ---------- Then again, I wonder if Cherise (from WAY2) is somehow free and loose in Callamandia??? Attacking women close to David fits her past transgressions.

Last edited by bigfoot (2017-09-29 00:06:41)

#671 2017-09-29 03:12:59

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Cherise is a Dead-Wand and they are automatically traced with a spell which detects magic use. I would expect such spells to be placed upon incarceration instead of on release.
Devyn hates David, not the women in David's life.

MY money is on Quayde or a Savolar. Marcus has already shown a willingness to attack David's women With the intent of turning them into ghosts AND he is known to hire outsiders to do his dirty work. Marcus also worked with Quayde in attacking David. Quayde could have contacts that Marcus wouldn't, and Daddy Savolar has the money to hire them.

#672 2017-09-29 05:00:18

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Does Daddy Savolar have the money?  Marcus didn't have the best wizarding coat, David payed for a better one even if we don't know how much of a better coat it was.  It seems to me that Mr. Savolar travels in some influential groups mostly because of his father (Marcus' grandfather).  He talked to someone that works in the firm that handles David's money at some party, that is how he found out how much David was worth when he filed suit against him for millions of granas.  But we don't know why Mr. Savolar was at that party, could it be because of who his father is?  To me anyway, Marcus' parents didn't come off as especially wealthy, not poor either.  I'd probably classify them as middle class or possibly upper middle class.  Now maybe Grandpa Savolar is rich and/or powerful enough to do some of these things.

Quayde, I suppose could be behind it.  But I think he really is just a frustrated looser.  If it ever came out that he was behind any of the attacks against David's women friends and was convicted of said crime, I think he may end up a ghost sooner rather then later.  I think this partly because then David would feel it would be reasonable to use that list of fifteen witnesses to his confession to show past malfeasance.

#673 2017-10-01 07:57:10

DaemonWolf
Tipsy

My money is on his fairy lover/teacher.  She has legitly showed some mental instability a few times over being addicted to him (or sex with him).  She was actually on the roof top with him and his lady friend during said attack.    I can see this desire for him that she had trouble controlling turn into another mad scheme of attacking his women until he returns to her.  And wasn't there a hint in one of the last 2 chapters about demons are really crazy fairy's or something or another.   That might explain some of those odd disease attacks that no one could explain.

Last edited by DaemonWolf (2017-10-01 07:57:44)

#674 2017-10-01 22:21:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Demons are not "crazy" fairies.  Demons are simply another class of fairy, just like fireflies and fae.

And, oh, yeah, I'm finally back home with my computer set up as it should be.  Maybe we can get back to normal now... as soon as I get over being sick again.  (I think something about being stuck for a full day in a van with 8 animals screws with my immune system.)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#675 2017-10-02 01:19:06

Augur
Wasted

Could be an allergic reaction. Some mild antihystamines could do wonders in your case.

Board footer