Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#626 2017-07-17 17:56:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Writing Status

Update for 7/17/17:

(Sorry, couldn't resist the date thing...)

The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 6: November is finished, and with the reviewers.  This is probably the longest chapter in the book, at nearly 22,000 words.

WAY7-7 is already plotted out on the calendar, and so writing will begin on that either tonight or tomorrow.  I may spend a night with Agent of Change, since I have worked out the next scenes for that story.

Obviously, this means that WAY7-6 will be posted on August 1st.

Also, as of yesterday, I have finally written over 100,000 words for the year.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#627 2017-07-17 19:45:34

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Great to hear! Glad to know things are looking up for one of our favorite writers.

#628 2017-07-18 01:13:21

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Oh Eric, you and your palindromes!

#629 2017-07-19 04:10:56

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Congrats on passing 100,000 words.

#630 2017-07-20 04:56:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for July 20, 2017:

The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 7: December has been started.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#631 2017-07-20 19:48:02

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Congrats on 100k for the year so far. and you still have a few months to exceed that ^_^

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#632 2017-08-01 04:11:53

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for August 1, 2017:

The Woodward Academy, Year 6, Chapter 12: May has been made public.  This completes this novel.
The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 6: November has been posted to PRM.

WAY7-7 has about 6,100 words written so far, so I'm feeling pretty good about it being ready for next month.
AoC-6 will probably not be ready for posting on the 15th, however.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#633 2017-08-22 18:56:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

So, I have decided to abandon my attempt to switch to the Dvorak keyboard.

This has nothing to do with the Dvorak layout, more to do with something I've recently learned about myself.

I have been working on mastering the Dvorak layout, and I'm already up to 18 out of 26 letters, and I can, with a little struggle, figure out where the other 8 are, as well.  My speed is abysmal (12-20 wpm), but I'm sure that would improve with time.  I'm quite sure that, in less than 6 months of exclusive use, I would be up to 40-50wpm.

That sounds pretty good.  45wpm is the start of what the one typing test refers to as "fluent" typing.  And 50 is pretty close to the 65wpm I thought I typed in Qwerty.

And there's the rub:  65wpm is what I thought I typed in Qwerty.  That number was based on a typing test I did several years ago, maybe as many as 10.  I just tested myself again this morning (morning for ME, not for you.).  I retook the test five times, with different texts each time.

On average, I am now typing about 85wmp.  85, not 65.  That means that, in ten years, I've added 33% to my writing speed.  Or I've just gotten 20 words faster, whichever way you want to look at it.

My point is, it took me ten years to gain that speed.  If I reach, as I expect I would, say 60wpm in the next year with Dvorak, how long do you think it would take for me to be so proficient with it that I'd be at 85wpm?  I type a lot, but I don't think I type so much that I would gain that speed back quickly.  And the slower I type, the slower I write... and anything that slows down my writing is bad.

So, ultimately, I don't want to risk the heavy loss of speed that might be caused by converting, so I'm just going to stick with good ol' Qwerty.  Perhaps if I'd learned Dvorak ten years ago...  Maybe I'd be typing 100wpm now.  Or maybe not.  Maybe I'd still be doing 65wpm, who knows?  In any case, I'm not going to take up any more of my time pursuing it.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#634 2017-08-22 19:44:10

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Sad to see you are giving up Dvorak but completely understand. I would be upset if we had to wait the 3 months for you to finish a chapter, I however would understand.

#635 2017-08-23 07:11:29

Sniper
Inebriated

85 is quite good. I just did a test myself. Until now I was pretty sure that there was no real difference between me writing in english and my native german. Turns out in the test that I am writing about 20-25% faster in german.

#636 2017-08-31 17:02:55

Crusader
Wasted

I'm apparently at 53 wpm, after 2 tests that resulted in the same value.
But that is only if I am copying from something else. when writing and crafting for example an email, or this post. I have to think about what I am writing, and I'm sure that I'm going much slower. likely closer to 35-45 wpm.

so if you are matching your copying WPM when creating, I am officially jealous.

#637 2017-08-31 22:21:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well, obviously a wpm rate is only accurate when you're typing continuously.  I long ago figured my writing speed at around 2500 words per hour, maximum.  That works out to about 41wpm... but that's when I'm "on a roll" and writing almost as fast as I can get words onto "paper".  I'm sure that my average speed when having a typical "start-and-stop" day is much lower, probably half that.

While I'm here, I guess I should say that I still do not know if I'll be posting WAY7-7 tomorrow.  If I finish it tonight, I will post it tomorrow... but I haven't finished it yet.  Real Life (TM) has been intruding once again.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#638 2017-09-01 05:54:45

Sniper
Inebriated

Real Life again? That bitch. Find out where it lives and kick its ass. You cannot allow someone else to run your life, no matter how real that is. Real Life interferes with everything you do time and time again. After being fucked by it over the years Death comes finally around and puts an end to it, permanently. Unfortunately that won't increase your writing output.

The way of the world is you kick ass or you die, and I'm always going to kick!

#639 2017-09-01 06:25:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Actually, I'm pretty sure that, whether or not you kick ass, you're going to die.  It's all a matter of timing.

Update for September 1, 2017:

WAY7-7 is finished, and will be posted late today (the 1st).  By late, I mean don't come looking for it before 9 or 10pm, ET.  I have a lot to do tomorrow, and I also need to give this time to fade from my head for a bit before I do a final proofread before posting it.  Also, obviously, this has not gone through the reviewers at this point.  They will get it before you do, but I'm clearly not going to wait for their replies.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#640 2017-09-01 09:17:39

SkiesEnd
Inebriated

I do hope that the infamous RL gives you a tad bit of slack so you can enjoy YL, your life,  for awhile 3dsmile

Thank for the update and thank you in advance for the chapter!~

#641 2017-09-01 13:35:21

Augur
Wasted

I´m actually kind of hoping either for clinical immortality, or at least mind upload to a computer inside my lifetime. So may be, just may be if humanity doesn´t destroy itself, we actually have a small chance of living if not forever, then truly a long long time. How wonderful would it be to explore the universe, meet alien races, terraform and colonize far away worlds. All of this under the right conditions could be possible in the next thousand years. Of course if we don´t reach a technological singularity before then. Anyway, exciting times await us.

#642 2017-09-01 17:19:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I think you'll find, if you think about that long enough, the concept of living 'forever', or even for a thousand years, is a truly horrific notion.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#643 2017-09-01 17:52:56

Augur
Wasted

I don't Eric. There may be downsides, but I'm intensely curious about the world and the universe and don't prize ending my existence so very soon, barely 80 or 100 years in. Of course there is the conditional, that I probably wouldn't wish to live on if my mental capacities were seriously compromised or if such a life entailed continuous pain, etc. Still keeping in mind that the technology required for clinical immortality would require being able to repair the body at a nano level, it would mean no serious illnesses, even brain damage should be repairable. Actually quite probably cybernetic or biological mind expansion should be viable and possible in a few decades. So the actual possibilities are wonderful.
As for the leaving people behind I would expect that I wouldn't be the only one to make use of such possibilities to extend my life and my mind. Worst case scenario it would be difficult and lonely to do that alone, but certainly not impossible. You do meet new people and can form meaningful relationships. Of course there may be circumstances where may be I wouldn't wish to go on, but the basic premise of the possibility of immortality, or really long lifespans would be truly wonderful. Certainly opinions on such matters are subjective and yours may differ. Still if you had a choice and it didn't entail some screwed up shit or personal torture, wouldn't you choose to live?

Last edited by Augur (2017-09-01 17:54:10)

#644 2017-09-01 22:22:27

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Unfortunately, I think there would have to be a trade off for eternal life... Impotence, or at least the lack of the ability to procreate.  If you kept on having children, immortal children, then eventually all the molecules in the earth, then solar system, and finally the galaxy would be used up by those immortal beings.  Oh, let's not forget about eternal hunger, eventually.  Your hunger would eventually kill all the non-immortal beings just to slack your hunger.  And then what would you eat?  Also, let's not forget that most scientists agree that the universe will itself end up dying.  So, you end up floating in a cold vacuum of empty space unable to end it all because your immortal.  I'd be careful what you wished for... you just might get it.

#645 2017-09-01 22:29:59

runesfuer
Inebriated

See, that's the thing with David. He's that immortal. He can't procreate, but he also cannot die. At all. Atleast according to those that Shepard the recently deceased to the 'underworld'.

IMPERATOR PRIMUM, DEINDE IMPERIO! VIVIMUS POENAS ETIAM SIC ESSE TUUS! [First for the Emperor, then for the Imperium. Our Lives are Forfeit, so should Yours be as well!]

#646 2017-09-01 22:48:11

Augur
Wasted

Barbarian? As who would you be to decide? Do you even have idea of the scope of the Universe? Also the personal investment of time that children represent? It certainly wouldn´t be a permanent baby making business. Your idea about banning procreation has some grounds, but upon closer inspection lacks enough merit. Also why would the hunger of an immortal being (or just a long living one) be any larger than of a regular mortal one? This argument of yours is even more lacking. You seem full of some strange ideas. I´m talking immortality as in having a long life without a specific end. Also you simply can´t imagine the endeavours that humanity, or even one particular person may undertake in the future with the advancement of science and understanding of the universe, or even multiverse if such exists. On the one hand right now it seems there won´t actually be a big crunch, but being as we don´t understand gravity, dark energy or dark matter enough and there are plenty of difficult to explain phenomena even at a galaxy level, we simply don´t actually know what will happen. If in the billions of years left to a big crunch or big freeze it´s impossible to predict what my consciousness (or the cumulative consciousness of humanity and all the other transcended races) could become by then. At the moment it´s purely speculative and philosophical, but may be, just may I/we could engineer a restart of our universe, or influence the laws of physics and creation of the next. May be each of us would be able to create our own personal universes by then. Or if we can´t actually improve much farther beyond our current level of awareness, well, It would still be billions of years of experiences, discovery, relationships. friendships, etc. Still that´s too much to hope at the moment. Let´s get clinical or cyber immortality first (which is just a regular human being getting rejuvenation treatments, or a human mind uploading to the cloud or its equivalent). Then if we don´t end in a technological singularity via increasing mind and linking capacity (there are a few signs that we are heading in that direction), well, the possibilities and the universe are unimaginably huge. Just the observable universe is over  93 billion light years, or 8,8 x 10exp23 kilometers across. It´s so much things to discover than even those billions of years wouldn´t be quite enough to visit everything. Besides stars explode and are born all the time, star systems too. Even if exploring just our own galaxy you wouldn´t have the time to visit all the stars before some stars are gone, and some others have been born. New life, new civilizations, etc. It´s actually unending. And if I/we ever became bored with that, there will be other goals. May be the ultimate one could be the creation of the next universe, or universes. May be there are something more. The multiverse, or universes above, or bellow our level of existence. Still this is so far away and so speculative, that we will just have to wait and see. Because of that and countless other reasons I think that living as long as you actually wanted (without an arbitrary set dying age), meaning having the actual possibility to wait and see, would be incredibly exciting and wonderful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eh5BpSnBBw

Last edited by Augur (2017-09-01 22:53:41)

#647 2017-09-01 22:57:16

Augur
Wasted

Runesfuer. Agreed. And keeping in mind that in Woodwards academy "world" there seems to be at least three universes, or levels of existence for him to discover and explore, his life could be as boring and as interesting and full of enjoyment as he actually makes it to be. Being able to control magic (universal energies) with his mind in three different levels of existence also seems quite an advantage. In a way he has already achieved some level of mind over matter control.

#648 2017-09-01 23:04:45

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Here's a circumstance you apparently haven't thought of:

EVERYONE chooses to live forever.

There are currently 7 billion people on this planet.  What it means if everyone chooses to live forever is that, every day, over 150,000 people who would have died, don't.  That's 55 million + people per year.  That means, in 20 years, we add over a billion new people... and this process accelerates, because there are more people.

At what point do you realize you can't even turn around without bumping into someone?  How long before Montana looks like central Tokyo?

And then there's this:  All those people you can't stand?  They never go away, either.  They will live just as long as you do.  That ex that you're wishing death and destruction upon?  Ain't gonna happen.  You're going to be paying her alimony for centuries.

So.  You're going to live forever.  And so is everybody you hate.  No hope of getting that abusive parent or ex-spouse out of your life for good.  Your only hope would be that they get hit by a bus... except, of course, that people will be riding the Hyperloops by then, and you can't really get hit by one of those.

Those fucking politicians in Congress (Parliament/whatever)?  They're not going to leave willingly, either.  The same people will be in office for thousands and thousands of years.  Don't believe me?  We have people who have spent decades in Congress.  How do they manage that?  Political inertia and public apathy.  Imagine what happens when people can say, "That guy's been in office since my great-great-grandfather was born.  No point in kicking him out now..."

And let's not bullshit:  As far as anyone can figure out, you really can't go faster than the speed of light.  That means that interstellar travel is out of the question.  Oh, sure, you might be able to live long enough to make the trip, technically, but you would have starved to death long before you got there, because carrying enough resources to even grow your own food would be more than a ship could carry for that long.  And even if you did survive, chances are you'd be completely batty from the isolation of the trip.  Plan on taking a thousand of your closest friends to fight the isolation?  You've just compounded the whole logistical nightmare.  So all your talk of meeting alien races and terraforming anything beyond our own solar system is just fantasy: there's literally no scientific basis on which this could happen, according to current knowledge.

Imagine what it looks like when people 25 and younger make up less than 1% of the population.  Or less than 0.001% of the population.  Imagine what happens when they start passing amendments that say you can't vote until you're 100.  (Why would they do that?  Because they think you don't know what the fuck you're talking about for the first 100 years of life.  Oh, sure, it'd take a couple millennia to get to this point, but when 90%+ of the populace can't even remember what being a teenager was like...)

You also talk about all the exploring and stuff that would be so interesting to see and do... how many people actually do that now?  How many would be able to do it then?  Scientific research has always been an extremely limited field.  With a population explosion, it would only become more so.  There isn't going to be a proportionately larger amount of money available for scientific research now that there's a huge new population.  Most of the money's gonna go to keeping people alive.  (Oh, sure, you've taken care of medical immortality.  People still have to eat, have water to drink, and be sheltered from the weather.)  When the population of the planet reaches 12 billion, just 100 years from now, how are those people going to be fed?  Housed?  Where are we going to get the water from?  Oh, sure, the ocean, you say.  There is STILL no economically viable way to desalinate water on the scale needed to supply the entire US.  Imagine when the entire current population of the US lives in the state of Oregon!

Would I want to live forever, even with all my health problems removed?  HELL NO.  I'm already sick of this world and the shit that goes on within it.  I try not to watch or read the news, because it just disgusts me.  Why the hell would I want to sign on for a million more years of the human race?  I'm not looking forward to death, don't get me wrong.  As an Agnostic, I have absolutely no clue about what's going to happen at the point of death, so there is no comfort to be had in that thought.  Having said that, I have no real desire to make my misery on this abominable little rock significantly longer.

Okay, you say, there are probably a lot of people like me, so the problems aren't as bad as I think.  Wrong.  In the beginning, sure, there are going to be people who forego the treatment and die a natural(ish) death.  But it wouldn't take all that long before the treatment - whatever it is - would be given to infants at the time of birth, parents giving their new little one the "gift of life".  And then, poof.  No one gets a choice anymore.  Sooner or later, it's not even something that gets discussed.  People who go against it are treated like the anti-vaccine crackpots (who really are crackpots, don't get me wrong).  So, yeah, at some point, you lose the ability to make this choice for yourself.  (Depending on how said immortality is achieved.  If it's an ongoing process, then things just go weird in a whole different direction.)

Yeah... there is no good that comes from this kind of thing.  Much like political office, life itself needs term limits.  Without them, things just go bad.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#649 2017-09-01 23:08:43

Crusader
Wasted

Here is a possible brain upload to computer scenario https://youtu.be/IFe9wiDfb0E

Scary.

#650 2017-09-01 23:20:22

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Augur wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eh5BpSnBBw

Man, you should really warn a guy before you put him into the Total Perspective Vortex.

3dtongue

Eric Storm

(For those unfamiliar: The Total Perspective Vortex)

----
Facebook page

Board footer