The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#576 2017-05-19 18:57:03

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Writing Status

If, when you've finished your book, you yourself don't want to read it...

What the hell did you write it for?

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#577 2017-05-20 21:40:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for May 20, 2017:

The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 4: September has been finished, and is now with the reviewers.

This means that there will be a posting on June 1.  We can only hope that this will be the last posting delay for this story series.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#578 2017-05-20 22:13:44

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Sounds good to me, thanks for the hard work.

#579 2017-05-22 05:51:56

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Thrilled to hear it. Does that mean you are starting right away on the next chapter? Look forward to the work done.

Eric Storm wrote:

Update for May 20, 2017:

The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 4: September has been finished, and is now with the reviewers.

This means that there will be a posting on June 1.  We can only hope that this will be the last posting delay for this story series.

Eric Storm

#580 2017-05-22 06:39:48

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Starting as soon as possible, yes.  I have already planned out chapter 5 on the calendar (not on the one you can see!), so that step is out of the way.  It's just a matter of writing it.  Of course, that has been the problem all along, so...  we'll just have to see.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#581 2017-05-24 05:02:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for May 24, 2017:

The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 5: October, has been started.  (By a whole whopping 200 words, but it's been started...)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#582 2017-05-24 06:48:08

Sniper
Inebriated

That's how it's done, step by step.

#583 2017-05-24 06:51:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Sorry, but in my normal writing practice, 200 words is NOT a "step".  It's at best a shuffle.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#584 2017-05-25 17:43:48

Crusader
Wasted

a shuffle looks like a lot of work to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBZ0Y2t0ceo

#585 2017-05-25 18:01:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Oh, I didn't say it wasn't a lot of work... but you'll note in your video, for all his moving around, he didn't get very far, did he?  Ended up in the same place he started, or nearly so.

That was pretty much my point.

Eric Storm

PS:  I'm assuming you were being sarcastic.  But just on the remote chance that you weren't, and in fact aren't familiar with the term "shuffle" as it applies to NON-dance movement, it's just the process of walking without lifting your feet off the ground.  You have to take much smaller steps, and it is very slow.

----
Facebook page

#586 2017-05-25 18:48:38

Sniper
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Sorry, but in my normal writing practice, 200 words is NOT a "step".  It's at best a shuffle.

Eric Storm

If I remember correctly, you once said, that you want to write at least 10.000 words a month. That would be about 333 words/day. You could easily make up for the difference with 2 days of 400 words each.

#587 2017-05-26 04:12:39

Crusader
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

PS:  I'm assuming you were being sarcastic.

Yes... And a bit if no... I was going mostly just joke, my goal was to get anyone who read the sentience to exclaim 'ha!'
However as previously shown my ability to put anything more complicated then 'me like, me want more' into words is a risky proposition at best.

#588 2017-05-26 05:00:43

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Sniper:

The assumption your calculation makes is that I will write every single day.  That has never, ever happened.  And no, 10,000 words a month wouldn't complete more than one or two of the chapters in Woodward in time.  Most of them are well over 10,000 words in length.  My usual goal is 1,000 words on any day I do any writing.

This year's writing goal is 250,000 words.  IF I could write every single day of the year, that would require 685 words every day.  But, in general, I write about 1/3 to 1/2 of the days in the year.  That means, on the days I write, I need to write 1300-2000 words, to make that up.

I hope this makes it a little more clear why 200 words to me is not considered a successful writing day.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#589 2017-05-26 10:07:25

Sniper
Inebriated

250k is quite a lot. I have to admit, that I got the urge to check my statistics. The most I posted in one calendar year were about 93k words in 2012. Since I stopped blogging at the end of 2015, I have not written much at all. It's been nearly 1.5 years. Maybe I should pick that up again. Or maybe fiction? Who knows.

At least I was able to distract you a bit. I still believe, that you are blocking yourself with the amount of pressure you put on your own shoulders. No need to revisit your explanation why, I still remember that. Despite what you might be thinking, I am actually not too dumb to breath.

#590 2017-05-26 18:02:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You misunderstand the system.  My quota is not pressure, it is inspiration.  This is why I set a quota, and why I keep a writing log: it allows me to see and mark my progress.  I tend not to look at my log unless I'm putting an entry into it, so there's not really much pressure there.  But when I do look, and I see "Oh, I need to make up 5,000 words to be on track for the year" (I wish!), that can motivate me to put in just a little extra effort. 

But when I'm in a slump like I am now, it doesn't work, because I don't look at my log, and even if I do look at my log, I see that I'm some 50,000 words behind where I should be, and that's just depressing.

As to 250,000 words being a lot:  Consider that no Woodward novel has been less than 155,000 words in length.  One of them was over 200,000 words long.  Each of them was written in under a year.  The most words I've ever written in a year was around 400,000.  I've written right at 365,000 I think twice.  250,000 words in a year is NOT a difficult task for me, when I'm in "writing mode".  The problem right now is very simply that I am not in writing mode.  I think about the stories, I plan out the stories, I've even come up with new stories... but I just can't get myself to sit down and WRITE the stories.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#591 2017-05-30 17:01:16

islandman79#
Inebriated

Good day to yourself Mr. Storm, Eric.
It is with fondest hopes that your health and home life have improved, not to mention your social or creative process.
   I understand that your series for " Woodward school/university/college ... ect" has fallen on difficult times and we your fan base have been sympathetic and understanding with everything you have gone thru ie health and meeting you deadlines for finished instalments for the stories evolution.  Not to mention your own goal of writing so much per day or week or month.

Myself? I have written to you a couple of times with questions for clarification about story details and of course to confirm the next installment date of the story.
I take comfort in the reading of the story, and don't even follow the sex bites lol I know - right?  Waiting for the next insert of the story on a monthly basis is similar to awaiting your favorite show to air same time the following week, just when the shows on a cliff hanger.

As may recall I'm the gent getting a divorce and fighting nasty medical complications such as being in pain body wide, fighting to keep my leg an foot, which they want to cut off, failing kidneys, lung infections, and potential cancer.    Not making this list up,  fucked up right? Lol.

I would appreciate some assistance in updating my account allotment special access time, to reflect the time of patiently awaiting for next instalment, which was delayed due to some items not within your control ie health.
The Woodward year 7, last posted jan 6th 2017.
My accounts special access is left with 6 month currently, would ask the site admin to add on time to replace that which has been used to patiently await woodwards next entry?
It would be appreciated.   Thank you.

If it's not a bother or concern, too much. Could you confirm when the next posting date would be?
Will it be June 1rst 2017 as you mentioned before?

Sincerely thanking you.

#592 2017-05-30 20:46:20

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Islandman,

This post would have been better as a private email to Eric.

#593 2017-05-30 23:46:57

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

While FR is right about where you should have sent the message, the issue has been handled.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#594 2017-06-01 00:29:01

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Eric, you are always ahead of schedule in my eyes. ^_^

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#595 2017-06-01 05:06:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for June 1, 2017:

The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 4: September has been posted to PRM.
The Woodward Academy, Year 6, Chapter 10: March has been made public.

Due to conditions beyond my control, my writing has been very slow of late.  While I will make every effort, I cannot guarantee that WAY7-5 will be posted on July 1.  I will keep this forum apprised of the situation.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#596 2017-06-01 05:08:13

Elessar
Completely Blotto

We are happy to have the little bit we do get. Thank you.

#597 2017-06-15 05:18:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for June 15, 2017:

Agent of Change, Chapter 4 has been posted to PRM.

The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 5: October is progressing.  It is up to nearly 8,000 words.  I cannot guarantee that it will be ready by July 1, but it is looking pretty good.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#598 2017-06-15 16:10:15

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Loving the steady progression in Agent of Change.

#599 2017-06-26 10:49:18

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Hope to hear things are going well, it has be awfully quiet around the pub.

#600 2017-06-26 16:48:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I haven't made any updates because it is, even now, unclear whether the next chapter will be ready in time or not.  If I get it finished before the 1st - or even on the 1st - I'll post it on the 1st.  I'm getting close to being done, but until the final scene is written, I simply can't make a call on this one.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer