The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-03 00:54:57

AceMcCloud
Inebriated
Website

A Friendly Reminder

If you're like many of the people that I know who have digital cameras, you have been dumping pictures onto your hard drive - but haven't been backing them up. If you are one of these people, please take a little time and back them up SOMEWHERE.

There are several reasonably priced on-line options (CrashPlan, for example). There are also a number of free options - Google has the Picasa service (1 GB of free space). Many of the picture companies offer on-line photo storage (RitzPix.com, KodakGallery.com).

Another good option is using two hard disks. Keep one someplace safe and outside the house (safe-deposit box, for example) and keep the other up-to-date with copies of all of your files. Swap them once a month.

With modern technology, there's absolutely no reason why anyone should ever lose their pictures - ever.

Stories on MP3 - The [Adult] Reading For The Blind project: http://www.asstr.org/~Stories_on_MP3/

#2 2010-06-17 14:27:04

Imagineer
Wasted

Re: A Friendly Reminder

That is very good advice, Ace.

Parents and other less computer-geeky folks sometimes need help with this concept or its execution. My parents are not stupid, but it took me a few tries to get them sorted, and I check out what they're doing every once in a while to make sure their cleverness and value-drivenness hasn't inadvertently exposed them to risk. It's been complicated by things like bundled photo management / photo editing software -- they didn't know where their photos were except "right here in this program."

In fact, they're overdue for a checkup...

#3 2010-06-17 17:30:27

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Re: A Friendly Reminder

AceMcCloud wrote:

If you're like many of the people that I know who have digital cameras, you have been dumping pictures onto your hard drive - but haven't been backing them up. If you are one of these people, please take a little time and back them up SOMEWHERE.

There are several reasonably priced on-line options (CrashPlan, for example). There are also a number of free options - Google has the Picasa service (1 GB of free space). Many of the picture companies offer on-line photo storage (RitzPix.com, KodakGallery.com).

Another good option is using two hard disks. Keep one someplace safe and outside the house (safe-deposit box, for example) and keep the other up-to-date with copies of all of your files. Swap them once a month.

With modern technology, there's absolutely no reason why anyone should ever lose their pictures - ever.

Good Advice

I use Synplicity to synch between and  back up my puters text and pics but I'm guessing Flickr or Picassa would work just fine for most people, store your pics and display those you want to share You'd have to check their free up to "byte" threshold....

I use Picassa for sorting editing on my desktop so itys useful for more than just back up

Desn't really matter whcih one you use far better than losing precious pics becuase of a hiccup and Ontrak costs much

Last edited by WarLord (2010-06-17 17:33:18)

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

Board footer