The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#76 2021-10-18 23:11:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: CASS

Okay, let's clear something up:  If you have artificial gravity, inertial dampeners are redundant.

Proof:  The Earth is traveling in a multi-circular path at over 1,000,000 mph.  You don't notice.  Why?  Because you are within its gravitational field.  Likewise, on any ship with artificial gravity, you wouldn't notice the movements of the ship.

Now, as to physical restraints being of any help withstanding high-g-load maneuvers:  This ignores what the real problem with high-g maneuvers is:  blackout and redout.  You take a high-positive-g turn, your blood rushes to your lower extremities, your brain suddenly loses oxygen, and you pass out.  You take a high-negative-g turn, your blood is thrown up into your head, and this causes unconsciousness in a different way.  These are effects that restraints cannot counteract.  Inertial dampeners - if those are somehow created without being artificial gravity - would also likely not counteract this problem.  To do so, the dampening field would have to manipulate a person internally, and at different amounts within the same body.  Only an artificial gravity field would counteract this problem easily, because it would negate the g-load on the pilot.  (Or mostly do so.  It would be good to let them feel some portion of the g-load, to give them a "seat of the pants" sensory experience to their flying...)

As to your discussion of how to control multiple craft:  First off, there's no such thing as a "non-active thought".  Firing neurons are firing neurons.  You're now asking for the computer not only to be able to interpret those firing neurons into our actual thought process, but asking it to figure out whether the thought it has interpreted is the "right thought" or not.  I don't think a computer is ever going to be able to do that.  We have enough trouble doing that ourselves. 

As far as I'm aware, we do not currently have any means for a computer to interpret a purely mental thought into some command or action.  All of the systems I have heard of involve the computer reacting to some small physical process, like where a person is looking, the raising of an eyebrow, the blinking of eyes, etc.  I seriously do not believe we're going to get to the point where you can just think, "blue", and the computer will show you the color blue onscreen.  I could be wrong.  Hell, maybe we've already done this, but I haven't heard about it.  But for it to "hear" your thought that says "blue", along with your thought about what "maybe it should be red, instead?" and for it to figure out which of those thoughts it's supposed to be paying attention to... no, I just don't see us getting there.  Not without employing the kind of AI system that, frankly, we're trying to avoid with all this stuff, because it would suddenly be in charge of what the plane is actually doing, and it risks the AI deciding it knows better than the pilot.  "No, Maverick, it should be orange."

As to the other part, you're suggesting exactly what I said:  The pilot would choose from a menu of options, and the craft would actually fly itself to perform the maneuver.  The speed gained by doing this neurally versus physically or orally would be negligible.  Realize that the speed gain from a neural connection is measured in milliseconds.  If you have to give a command that's going to take many seconds to execute, the time difference becomes meaningless.  Not to mention, again, that you are over-burdening the pilot with having to rigidly control his thought process during times of high stress.  NOT a recipe for success.

On the issue of ship agility, I'm not at all sure why you think being inside or outside of a planet's gravity well is going to affect the fighter's maneuverability.  Keep in mind, if a ship is within the galaxy, it is always in a gravity well of something.  The thing that's going to limit a ship's maneuverability is mostly going to come down to its structural integrity.  The ship itself has inertia.  It isn't possible to reduce the inertia on the ship, only on things within the ship.  Therefore, when the ship turns, it is going to face inertial forces.  If those forces are stronger than the structural integrity of the craft, the craft will break.

Now, being inside a planet's atmosphere would definitely reduce its maneuverability, given that the air would create an additional resistive force that could break the craft during maneuvers.  But the gravity well extends well beyond the atmosphere.  Realize, the moon sits within Earth's gravity well.  And both of them sit within Sol's gravity well.

And, last but not least... please learn to use paragraphs.  I know it may sound like I'm being picky, but it was actually difficult for me to take in your post, and what you meant, because your thoughts are all run together in a single large paragraph.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#77 2021-10-19 04:00:41

ChiefRock
Wasted

First I will try to use better structure like paragraphs. I defend myself with the fact that I have been out of english class a very long time and military structure is better described as bullets. Would that be easier?
>This is one thought
> this is another--they do not go together
I am sorry Eric I will try to be good.
   Artificial gravity control would without doubt have to be solved in order to have inertial dampening. That is a given, I think we are arguing the same thing here. I fully understand your explanation and was not implying anything else other than possibly, inertial control might be a more primitive type of gravity control, science that is not developed yet, there is a lot of speculation in these thoughts. Since we are dealing with theory I or we get to imagine things.
   Eric your thoughts on mental action and thought are spot on, as far as it goes. I know there is research ongoing to train thought. Think of it as reflex or muscle memory training. It is very gray area right now but if it pans out it would allow what I described. As things are currently understood I will concede your points.
   Thank you for tolerating my english and poor grammer and for allowing this kind of discussion.

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#78 2021-10-19 04:03:38

ChiefRock
Wasted

You know guys this could be a better discussion with more than just Eric and I brainstorming here

#79 2021-10-19 05:44:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Chief... I'm wondering if you missed Kit's post, because he's the one I was actually responding to.

But, since you spoke up...  3dsmile

Bullet lists are great.  They're easy to respond to.  I'm sure you've noticed I use lists commonly myself.

Inertial dampening vs. artificial gravity:  The thing for me is I just don't see how you "do" inertial dampening without it actually being artificial gravity.  I can't grasp some other way you'd achieve the effect.

As to mental training...  Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the feeling they're going to discover that it's really not that useful.  Even if you can train someone to think the right way, I think it's gonna cause rapid burnout for your pilots, just due to the mental strain.  Just my opinion, though.

As to "allowing" this kind of discussion... this is the sort of thing I hope for.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#80 2021-10-19 12:09:43

ChiefRock
Wasted

Inertial Dampening / Anti Gravity;
   I suspect they will both require the same thing, that is the ability to generate and or shield material objects from gravity's effects. Inertia is going to have to be controlled also but I imagine the Gravity control will do both. I suppose anti gravity will likely come first, the inertia is just my rambling thoughts. I suppose I cannot say how either effect will be accomplished. Many writers explain Gravity as a wave but for some reason that just does not sound right

Last edited by ChiefRock (2021-10-19 12:10:46)

#81 2021-10-19 13:27:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Gravity, if it is a force (rather than an innate feature of space-time), must be transmitted by some kind of particle, something like a photon, usually called a graviton.  As we know, a photon acts as both a particle and a wave, thus giving rise to the idea of "gravity waves".  Though I think they have a tendency to be used in science fiction more like compression waves (sound) than longitudinal waves (light), which would be wrong.  Though I suppose if you had a burst of gravitons coming off of something, you could refer to that as a gravity wave, if you wanted to.

Both artificial gravity, and anti-gravity, are highly dependent on the idea of gravity as a force.  If gravity really is just the inherent warping of time-space by a mass, that likely cannot be artificially reproduced.  On the other hand, if there is a graviton, then that can be created/harnessed for the synthetic generation of gravity.  Likewise, if there is a graviton, then there must be an anti-graviton, which would be necessary for anti-gravity.

As to an inertial dampener, I can't actually figure out how this is supposed to work, period.  Somehow it is meant to cancel out the inertia on the body, but... I can't see how you would do this without harming a person internally.  The dampening field would have to work on each individual atom of the body, in order to prevent your innards from squashing against your outtards during high-speed maneuvers. And because it is now manipulating the entire body, atom by atom, it has to try to figure out when you intend to move, so that it doesn't stop you from doing so.  It seems like a very sticky problem to me, and artificial gravity eliminates the need for it entirely.

(And have we all noticed how the inertial dampeners don't work worth shit on board the Enterprise D, anyway???  People getting tossed around in that tub all the damned time!)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#82 2021-10-19 15:54:56

ChiefRock
Wasted

LOL yeah that is funny it is like the sound effects on star wars. Suspect a true space battle would be boring. no dog fights no light shows from lasers. Hours of maneuvers for a few seconds of fire.

Right now I cannot think of any new ideas about gravity or inertia. If I come up with any in the future I will trot them out. I do agree though that Gravity, Gravitons etc. will have to be found, explored, explained before we can get anywhere with antigravity. And I cannot even try to explain your points about inertia except that unless they solve them, they are not going to get anywhere very fast.

Last edited by ChiefRock (2021-10-19 16:01:21)

#83 2021-10-19 21:50:57

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Actually, given the weapons we know are possible, space battles could be very exciting, though possibly at very long ranges.  Consider:

Laser:  Probably not going to be used in battle.  Why?  Because if you somehow miss your intended target, there's no way to STOP it.  A laser powerful enough to do damage, is also going to travel for millions of miles in space without losing much power.  There's no atmosphere to attenuate it and spread it out.  I realize that missing with a laser is damned-near impossible, but I think they would opt for other choices, using lasers as a last resort (like on the close-in weapons system already mentioned in chapter 2.)

Particle beam: Almost as problematic as lasers, but could be useful if you find the right particle(s) to use.  The beam would need to self-degenerate, and this can be achieved two ways:  1. A charged beam will disperse due to self-repulsion.  If you can figure out the particle with just the right amount of charge to reach only the distances you want, then...  Or, 2. find a particle you can accelerate that will decay fast enough to disappear after a (relatively) short distance.  Very hard to avoid a particle beam, due to speed.  Distance would be the best defense against such a weapon. 

Rail guns:  A great option, although one of the benefits of using them here on Earth (no explosive charge on board) would have to be discarded.  Why?  Because, again, if you miss, there's nothing to stop this projectile from continuing on and hitting something unintended.  But you could put a self-destruct charge inside the round that would obliterate it after a certain distance.  Other than that, this is a great weapon.  The projectile is virtually invisible.  You'd have a hard time avoiding it if fired at close range, the velocity is highly variable, and it's gonna do some major damage. 

Missiles:  Probably not powered by rocket propellant anymore, but some form of "robotic explosives-delivery device" would almost certainly still be in use.  Range-limited, but could be agile as crap, and very hard to avoid.

Machine guns:  Honestly, I would expect this to either go away, or be replaced by a rail-gun version.  You'd have exploding rounds (for the same reason as the rail gun), and they would almost certainly be slower and thus shorter (useful) range than the bigger rail guns.  Instead of machine guns, there would probably be some kind of low-power particle beam weapon... though again, we know that the super-fighters carry full-power particle beam cannons strong enough to vaporize a small war vessel.

Mines:  Basically a missile with a slow-burn motor on it, to keep it "stationary".  Paint them black, cover them in sensor-absorbing material... and suddenly you have a section of space no one wants to go into.

MEP gun:  (Modulated Electromagnetic Pulse)  Yeah, okay, I made this one up, so sue me.  3dsmile  The idea is simply that you can somehow "tune" an EMP to affect only the kind of target you're after. This weapon is also theorized to be able to disrupt the human nervous system, if modulated correctly.  (Is such a thing possible?  Hell, I don't know.  It sounded cool.  Leave me alone.  3dtongue )  The limitation on this one would probably be range.  Since it cannot fire at a pinpoint target, it's going to have to be a spread-out beam, and that is an inherently range-limited concept.

I'm sure there are other weapons possible that I haven't thought of yet.  Ballistic weapons wouldn't be useful in space, of course, as they depend on gravity to direct their travel.  The Star Marines would have such weapons for ground-fighting, but we're not getting into THAT in this discussion!!!  3dsmile

And all of this is why a space battle would probably still be handled by the fighter planes, while the big capital ships stay at a distance.  Distance is the best defense against the big weaponry, and the fighters have the maneuverability to make it hard to hit them with such weapons... plus you only lose one or two people at a time, instead of a few hundred.

There's no reason that space battles between ships that aren't dependent upon "reaction drives" (rockets) need be "hours of maneuver".  They wouldn't be depending on, or fighting, gravity in their movements, they could move fairly independent of the astronomical bodies in the area.  But, as I said, it would probably resemble today's battles, where the fighters did most of the work.  Although I admit I did create battleships... these would have to be heavily armored against the kind of weapons they themselves carry.

(Why did I create battleships?  POWER!!!  *Tim Allen Grunt*  3dsmile  When I see an aircraft carrier, I know, in my head, the power it represents, but it looks for all the world like a floating civil-aviation airport, which is hardly dangerous.  On the other hand, when I see a battleship, I feel in my gut the power it represents, and would never, ever, want to see one of them 'coming for me'.  Sorry, I know they're obsolete right now.  I'm assuming that space battleships will be able to compensate for the fighter planes, somehow.)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#84 2021-10-19 22:29:51

ChiefRock
Wasted

You are right there will always be fighter equivelants. They may not resemble ours but they will be small for costs and for speed. Likely any ship of size will carry a few fighters The fighters may be the size of our small warships though. I had not thought of the infinite range of a laser. I was thinking of how silly it is to see them glowing in space. Give me a bit I need to study your other weapon ideas. Did you mention Plasma pulse cannons? Energy hogs but if that can be solved might be a decent weapon.

Space drives--now there is a rich topic.  There will have to be reactionless drives or we will not be going very far. I think gravity drives will be what happens. how they work is touchy. Simplest concept I have heard of is a gravity field in front that the ship falls toward. This could also work as a broom to keep micro stuff from being a hazard. ION drives sound doable but weak and they are basically reaction drives you just throw ions behind you instead of other matter. Some writers talk about phase drives and such but I really like my science fiction to be based somewhat on reality. David webers Harrington universe uses gravity in two opposing plates called wedges. I love the concept and it provides most everything you would want from a drive. even sounds doable.

Eric I am not giving up on lasers yet but they might be just used to guide for instance? Perhaps as the carrier beam for plasma? There should be enough matter in space to disperse them eventually

Last edited by ChiefRock (2021-10-20 00:55:49)

#85 2021-10-20 01:01:04

ChiefRock
Wasted

Recoil on any projectile type gun whether magnetic or explosive is going to be a major problem in space. I think that is why most writers have leaned towards beam or laser weapons. But imagine for instance a huge shotgun shell and the damage it can do. They could come up with compensating thrusters but you can imagine the headache.

#86 2021-10-20 06:46:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

If you like your sci-fi to be based in reality, you shouldn't be reading about anything that involves more than one solar system.

I'm pretty sure a gravity drive would not be capable of warping space enough to allow FTL travel.  I think you'd have to have a gravity well so strong, you'd basically be falling into a black hole.  Carrying around a black hole to get around doesn't seem like a very safe thing to do.  Also... how do you push the gravity well away from you, without pushing yourself away from it?  This concept seems a lot like trying to power a sailboat with a fan.  But maybe it's just because I haven't read the full explanation of how it works.

The thing that made warp drive so interesting (to a nerd), is that it can, theoretically, allow for FTL travel because the ship itself isn't going FTL, but by warping space, it manages to travel farther than it should be able to in a given amount of time.  Though they have no idea how to do it, the astrophysicists say, if you can figure out how to do the warping, this concept would, in fact, work.

You mention a "plasma pulse cannon".  Without any specifics, just going on the name, I would list this under "particle beam weapon".

As to counteracting the force of a projectile... Let's do the math.  Hopefully I've done this correctly, my physics class is 30+ years behind me.

Let's postulate a 50kg projectile (GIGANTIC for a railgun.  The one the Navy has been working with weighs about 3kg).  Let's further postulate a projectile speed of 50km/s  (The Navy is nowhere near this, but hey, this is 200 years from now.)  Finally, let's assume a firing time of 1/10 of a second.  (It's probably a lot faster than this, but it kind of evens out, since the shorter the firing time, the shorter amount of time a force is applied to the ship...)

Also, we will estimate a 30,000 metric ton warship.  (The USS Missouri, for comparison, was 48,000+ long tons, which are slightly bigger than metric tons.)

So, acceleration is 50km/s^2 * 10 (because we got to 50km/s in just 1/10 of a second...), so 500,000 m/s^2.  Mass was 50kg, so we end up with 25million kg-m/s^2 (Newtons).

Our 25FN (Fig-Newtons.  Er... should that be MegaNewtons?  Nah...) are applied to a 30-million-kilogram warship.  so, we now end up with 0.83 m/s^2 acceleration... for 1/10 of a second.  That means 0.083 m/s final speed change.  That's less than 0.2mph.

I don't think you're gonna lose much sleep over it...  And the computer would be tasked with compensating for it, so the crew probably wouldn't even notice the effect.  Authors and movie directors opt for beam weapons because they "look cool" and are "futuristic".  Riker blowing a hole in some Ferengi's chest with a .44 magnum just doesn't seem very "high-tech".

To your suggestion about lasers... we use lasers for guidance now, I see no reason we couldn't do it 200 years from now.  I don't see any way for a massless particle stream to be a "carrier" for anything at all, however.  And as to dispersing the beam... yes, but how far away are you willing to hit before that happens?  We know that a laser can travel half a million miles in space.  (We've hit a reflector on the moon with one, and saw it come back to us.)  That was a wimpy little measurement laser.  Imagine a laser pumping out enough wattage to punch a hole in an armored warship.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#87 2021-10-21 02:05:22

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

One minor detail with energy weapons
- - - they're normally limited to speed of light.
Firing a laser at a moon-sized object can be relatively assured of hitting the target somewhere. The issue is whether or not that point of impact actually matters.
Firing at a smaller ship, if you aren't close enough to see it with your naked eye, then you are likely to miss it due to the time lag between where your systems SAY it is and where its possibly random acceleration changes actually put it. I would rather have a missile-style weapon, guided to the vicinity of the target and then using its own systems to actually guide it in (somewhat like the Phoenix/AWG-9 pairing).
BTW, remember that direction of travel and direction of targeting are two VERY different animals when dealing with a gravity-free environment.
Regarding changing orientation of a vehicle: it has to accelerate into the change of attitude and then decelerate out of it, and the radial change in axis has to consider the ends of the vehicle's sideways motion for velocity (a vehicle 10 miles long will have its ends move 31.54 miles in a 180° turn-about, accelerating to the halfway point and the decelerating the rest of the way. There's an issue with doing that using attitude rockets.

Last edited by darthel0101 (2021-10-21 02:19:03)

#88 2021-10-21 04:03:21

ChiefRock
Wasted

I had lost track of that Darthel--Light speed= you fire 30 light seconds from a target--where will it be in half a minute? Lasers may be infinite in range but just how accurate can they be? I am going back to the big shotgun. I have one with a short barrel it is just not safe in front of me

#89 2021-10-21 06:17:58

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, both of you:  BREATHE.

The speed of light in a vacuum is 186,000 miles/second.

You mention 30 light seconds, but let's talk about just 1.5 light seconds.  1/20 of the distance you mentioned.

Having a battle 1.5 light seconds apart is the equivalent of having one side of the battle orbiting Earth...

And the other side orbiting THE MOON.

Why in the hell would you have a battle this way?

25,000 miles... maybe.  250,000?  No.  At 25,000 miles, a lightspeed weapon will take 1/7 of a second to hit its target.  NOTE:  This IS sufficient time to miss your target!!!  A ship traveling at 30,000 mph will have traveled over a full mile in 1/7 of a second.  You're not going to hit a fighter-sized vehicle this way.  HOWEVER, you would probably have a good shot at predicting the location of a capital ship.

AS to targeting direction vs. travel direction:  Obviously they don't need to be the same, and not just for the reason you're referring to (that a ship can easily move sideways in space).  But also because guns can turn.

But...

Who the FUCK creates a TEN MILE LONG SPACESHIP????   Hell, even Babylon 5 was only FIVE miles long, and it didn't move!!!  Your typical warship is going to be measured in meters, not kilometers.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#90 2021-10-21 14:23:56

ChiefRock
Wasted

I am still unsure there will be battles like we think of them where two ships go at each other guns blazing. Actually a battle where one is orbiting the moon the other in the vicinity of earth is also something I think might happen at least for the larger ships. It would more likely be either missiles with on board targeting or kinetic weapons like buckshot or yard darts. The smaller agressors, fighter types would be the ones getting in under 20,000 Kilometers. So energy or beam types would likely be defense?

I would not have a 10 mile ship. The larger ships like carriers or tenders might be a mile long but even that is iffy. Besides it makes more sense once you are big enough to carry what you want to just build more hulls, 10-1 mile ships would be a lot more survivable

#91 2021-10-21 16:38:43

sermona
Inebriated

10 mile long ship ... but why (i know because you can). The longest ships for water are under 500m.
A Railgun would shoot projectiles with relativistic speed with less. The problems with construction if you want to have anything in form of maneuverability will cause major headache.

weapon ranges and targeting ... You dont need to target something that cant possibly hurt you (fighter shooting a capital ship at ranges 10k+ km) but if you want to, use projectiles with spreading (like shotgun) or inteligent missiles.
Predicting the position of a capital ship gets easier if shoot multiple times in a inteligent pattern. you can 'guide' the follow up evasions

if you defend a planet against an enemy who wants to destroy the planet you loose. they get many (large) rocks in kuiper belt and throw them for kinetic strikes. Missing would be rare because off the gravity well.

#92 2021-10-21 23:13:55

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Sermona:

Okay... first off:  In space, there is no distance at which some enemy is not a danger to you, if they can hit you.  In CASS, we've already seen super-fighters completely destroy larger ships using particle beam weapons.  While they may not destroy a true capital ship, you're not going to fuckin' ignore them.  If you can see them, they can see you.  If they can see you, their particle beam weapon can hit you.  It's just a matter of aim and deduction of your evasion tactics.  That said, most fighters are going to get in closer just to make the shot easier and more reliable... and to be in range of their missiles.  But ask the Navy if, during war, they're going to wait for the enemy fighters to get within range of the carrier before they do something about them.  The best time to take out your opponent is before he's a direct threat to you.

Next, you're going to try to use the equivalent of a "shotgun blast"... at thousands of kilometers?  Your chances of hitting anything at all are slim to none.  Here are the numbers, assuming a spread of just 1 degree between projectiles.

After 1km of travel, your projectiles would be 17m apart.  This is already a large enough hole to completely miss a fighter.

After 1000km of travel, your projectiles are 17km apart.  If you hit your target, it's because you got lucky.

Not to mention, depending on the speed of your projectiles, traveling 1000km could take so long the battle might be over before they reach where you wanted them to go...

Now we've already discussed missiles previously, and in fact, they've been used in the book already, so yes, obviously missiles make sense, if you can find a better propulsion system than "rocket engines", which are simply too damned slow.

As to using mass drivers to bombard a planet:  First off, you're a barbarian.  Second, let's consider:  The Kuiper Belt is some 30 AU from Earth (minimum distance).  We'll round off an AU to 100million miles.  So, the Kuiper Belt is some 3 billion miles from Earth.  Just how long do you expect your attack to take?  Even a tiny asteroid weighs a huge amount: you aren't going to accelerate that to any great speed.  This kind of attack would probably take YEARS.

You could speed this up by using the asteroid belt, instead, but you're still looking at something like 350 million miles away.  Now you're down to months...

These kinds of attacks are not feasible.  The distances and energies involved are simply too large to make them practical.  Your enemy would achieve their goals far more quickly, cheaply, and effectively by building a huge ship with particle beam weapons that it could fire down on your planet, destroying your world city by city until you surrender.

And, finally...

No railgun will ever reach relativistic speeds.  Here's why:

Given:

Speed of light: 300 million meters per second (300,000 km/s, or 186,000miles per second)
Firing time for our rail gun: 0.1s
Gravity acceleration of Earth: 9.8m/s^2.  For the sake of easy calculation, we will round this to 10m/s^2.

So, let's select 0.75c as our "relativistic speed".  That's 225 million meters per second.  We are going to achieve that speed in 0.1s, so our acceleration is 2.25 BILLION m/s^2.

Using our 10 m/s^2 Earth gravitational acceleration, our projectile will face an acceleration of 225 MILLION G's.  There is no substance in existence that is going to handle that acceleration without instantaneously disintegrating.  Not just the projectile, but the armature on the gun.

But... let's just say, for the sake of argument, that your gun parts, and your ammo, could somehow withstand that kind of force.  Let's figure something else.

Firing time: 0.1s
Acceleration: 2.25 Billion m/s^2.
Formula for distance traveled under constant acceleration:  Distance = 1/2 * (Acceleration) * (time)^2

Thus:
D = 0.5 * 2,250,000,000 m/s^2 * (0.1s)^2
D= 1,125,000,000 m/s^2 * 0.01s^2
D= 11,250,000m = 11,250km = 6990.4miles

Your gun rails would have to be almost as long as the Earth is wide.  To make the rails shorter, you would have to up the acceleration, which would subject the gun and ammo to even higher forces.  To reduce the acceleration forces on the gun, you'd have to make the rails even longer.  Neither one of these things is reasonable.

This doesn't even get into how you would find enough POWER to cause something to accelerate that fast...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#93 2021-10-22 00:10:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Chief:

The further apart your combatants are, the less likely you are to hit anything, because it gives them that much more time to a) move out of the way, or b) intercept your weapon.

If we assume that the speed proportions stay the same as they are now, then missiles are going to be traveling 1.5 to 2.5 times as fast as a fighter.  Since we've stipulated our fighters can go around 30k mph, your missile is going to go 45k - 75k mph.

That means, if you're near the moon, and your enemy is near the Earth, your missile will take a minimum of 3 1/2 HOURS to arrive.  I'm thinkin' that's a REALLY long time to evade one, or blow it up.

Kinetic weapons will not be any faster than the missiles, and would not be guided, thus are almost guaranteed to miss at those long distances.

Now, as to whether space battles would more resemble today's warfare, or the warfare of the early 1900's, let's look at the benefits of naval aircraft:

1. They are much faster than ships
2. They can go inland, while a ship cannot
3. They are much cheaper than ships, and carry fewer people to lose if they are destroyed.
4. Because they are usually not near the fleet, spotting one will not necessarily tell you where the fleet is.

So, let's go through these one by one, in regards to a space navy.

1. Fighter craft aren't going to be any faster than capital ships.  In fact, it is likely to be the other way around, due to the capital ship having bigger engines.  Unlike a Navy carrier, which has to slog its way through heavy-assed water, a spaceborne capital ship flies through the same vacuum as a fighter craft.

2. While it is unlikely a capital ship would be designed to actually land on a planet, it would be able to "hover" over any particular piece of ground, and fire down on it.  This would mostly negate the fighter craft's benefit of "long reach".

3.  Yes, fighters are cheaper.  Capital ships, however, are very much harder to destroy.

4. This is pretty much the only point the fighter craft still wins hands down.  Because they can travel independently of the fleet (at least for short periods of time), their location doesn't give anything away, other than, "The fleet is around here somewhere..."  That being said, the fleet must be close by... and if you can track the fighters, they will eventually lead you right to the fleet, anyway.

So, having said all that, yes, I still think fighters will be used, but no, I don't think they're going to be the "battle wagon killers" they were back in WW2.  I think you're going to see a more coordinated fighting style: fighters trying to hit pinpoint targets on the enemy ships, while the battleships are just going to try to punch big-ass holes.  I imagine ranges under 30,000 miles.  Probably more in the 10,000 mile range, just so you can actually react in a reasonable amount of time to what's happening.  Even at 10,000 miles, you're talking about the fighter taking 20 minutes to cross that distance.  That's a damned long time in the midst of a battle.

Now, that's not to say that some "deep strikes" wouldn't happen: cases where long-range missiles were launched, usually to soften up a target for a more direct attack later...  But I don't think they'd be as effective as a current-day cruise-missile strike on a task group, due to the kinds of defensive weapons possibly employed.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#94 2021-10-22 03:08:07

ChiefRock
Wasted

While not discounting any of your points which are very good ones, please allow a few thoughts. I can cancel some of the down sides of kinetic "Buckshot" weapons merely by not deploying them in the scatter phase until very close to a target. This would be a solid projectile until reasonably close then exploding or separating into a wider cloud of smaller projectiles much harder to combat. This could also be part of a coordinated attack by other munitions to overwhelm defensive tactics. Imagine what a cloud of sand for instance, could do to a anti meteor screen, while not totally destructive by itself it could in conjunction with say missiles be very effective even over space type ranges. I think range distance and the fact that you just cannot hide will completely change the way fights go.

You mentioned space drives earlier and the fact we must beat Einstien somehow. I completely agree.
Whether we have phase, warp or hyper engines something either has to beat relativity understanding or create a shortcut around it. There will be no way to have viable exploration/colonization, much less governments that span solar systems without it. We have the possibility of communication already with quantum coupling.  My vote is something from that science will provide what we need to travel faster than light or cheat at least

#95 2021-10-22 03:12:48

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric dare I ask---has this extended conversation possibly inspired further work in this story?

#96 2021-10-22 04:56:43

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Sadly, I'm currently suffering a depression, so little is going to cause interest in writing for the moment.  But at least it's keeping writing "on my mind"...

As to your points:  What you're describing is, essentially, the workings of an air to air missile, which often does not depend on skin-to-skin contact, but in fact explodes when close to the target, and sprays shrapnel to do the actual damage.  The thing here is in the amount of material that can be carried.  Or you could be talking about a Rockeye cluster-bomb, which is bigger than a missile, but again... limit to how much it can carry.

Of course, we've been heavily focused on offense... we also have to talk about what is available for defense, because that will strongly impact which offensive weapons are usable.

Here's the thing, however, that would probably negate your "sand weapon" as a useful weapon:  Any ship traveling at high speed through space, must have some kind of shielding to protect against micro-meteors, because they are going to encounter all sorts of sand-sized (and larger) particles as they travel through "real space".  I would think that, whatever they're using to do this, they would also use it to defend against your "sandy buckshot".

I think your weapon might better be used as a sensor-jammer, rather than an actual weapon.  If you can fill the environment with something that will either absorb, or just obscure, the sensors, it gives you an advantage... and then, yes, they'd have trouble seeing the missiles coming in.  You kind-of mentioned this as a use, just not as directly.

The other question to ask is, do we have forcefields?  Because if there's some kind of energy shielding, it throws everything into chaos.  You have to figure out how it works, what weapons it can best defend against, how it can be defeated... all sorts of things.  I haven't created any defensive force fields, yet... but we know they use a force field as an airlock on the space station...

Kinetic weapons of various kinds are workable, but not at distance.  They work best when there's no time to avoid them, and that means they're only going to be helpful within the tens- or hundreds-of-kilometers range.  Now, mind you, to me, "Kinetic weapon" is something that cannot significantly change direction in flight.  It can alter trajectory slightly as it flies, but it cannot "turn".  So, much like guided artillery, which can angle slightly left or right, but is always traveling in essentially the same forward path.

So, just to recap, here are weapons I think would exist:
    * rail guns (but not at relativistic firing speeds)
    * particle beam weapons (including plasma guns)
    * modulated EMP guns
    * lasers (but I think they're a last resort)
    * missiles
    * mines

I would put your concept of cluster-munitions under "rail gun", because that's probably how they'd be launched.  To me, if you can make rail guns work, they would basically replace explosive-propellant guns, and all the uses you might put those to.

Weapons I'm pretty sure would not exist:
    * relativistic rail guns
    * mass drivers

Defensive things I think would exist:
    * interceptor missiles
    * laser defense systems
    * sensor countermeasures

Defensive things I think would not exist:
    * ????  Not sure.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#97 2021-10-22 06:41:14

ChiefRock
Wasted

Two major points;
   Yes we are both on the same page as far as kinetic weapons by your definition. They could only be effective if either cloaked or only used at high velocity at close range and yes I am thinking more cluster munition as far as size ( I was an Ordnanceman by trade in the Navy) any weapon that could be effective would need to be large enough to overwhelm the defenses. The defenses to such you also outlined reasonably well, meaning I have no criticism of your descriptions.

Now to try to get things possibly back on track--I am currently re-reading CASS and have some questions. How big is Nimitz 2?? based on our discussions of the size of large ships? Her capabilitys are about the maximum I can envision for a mother ship. I could see fighters of different sizes you have not mentioned but for maximum aggresivness and capability I am seeing the Viper as optimally less than 100 feet long? You have to have the room for a gravity drive and adequate armament, limited life support to about 12-18 hours?  Different ships still limited but larger with other missions would be needed aboard You need electronic detection platforms (Early warning) possibly specialized ground attack ships but the vipers are a good start ( Fighter jocks are impossible to live with by the way) Eric where did you get such a good handle on the carrier methodology and the way these hot rods think? You have them nailed by the way. I am asking because you and I have had conversations along this track before (Older CAMP when the fleet was attacked in the Atlantic) and I know you have had no actual military experience. So who has helped you see things this way? It is unusual for a civilian, not criticizing just puzzled.

#98 2021-10-22 09:02:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

This may seem just a little odd, but I haven't yet nailed down the configuration of the Nimitz II.  I haven't even yet decided if it will have a "runway".  As space-going ships without the concern for aerodynamic stall, they could land with relative speeds of just a few km/h, negating the need for a landing strip, and they could conceivably be launched out of individual bays.  I haven't worked through which one is better... and which one would be easier to retrofit, given that the Nimitz II is a conversion ship.

All that said, I expect it to be about 500m long, roughly.  Total width would depend on configuration.

As to the Viper, I envision it being slightly larger than the F-14D Tomcat.  It would be bulkier in the middle, and of course the engines would be on the wings, not in the center.  The engines on Superfighters are sub-light reactionless drives that nevertheless benefit strongly from the cross-wing configuration for maneuverability.  Wings converge into single-wing form for atmospheric flight.  (Albeit with a big-ass engine sticking up above the wing, as well as one below it... )

You would never want to limit life support to such a short time like 12 hours.  Consider the case of an emergency ejection.  Life support would be minimum of 48 hours.

As to the squadrons embarked on the Nimitz II:

2 F/A-14 Viper strike-fighter squadrons:
    VSA-42    Jolly Rogers
    VSA-43    Black Aces
2 F-8 Falcon fighter squadrons*
    VFA-28    Sidewinders
    VFA-36    Warhawks
2 A-10 Eagle attack squadrons:
    VA-12    Bounty Hunters
    VA-15    Black Knights
1 E-8 Hawkeye EWACS squadron
    FW-3    Starhawks
1 P-34 Gull patrol squadron
    FP-21    Sentinels
1 E-12 Blinder EW squadron
    FE-7    Nightbringers
1 C-102 Bison logistical Squadron
    XCA-18    Mules

Unit Designator Explanation:
First position:
V - Variable Wing Geometry (Craft looks different in space vs in atmosphere)
F - Fixed Wing Geometry (Wings always look the same)
X - Probably does not have wings.  (Anti-grav powered shuttles do not need wings)

Second position:
S - Strike-fighter
F - Fighter/Interceptor Craft
A - Ground Attack Craft
W - Early Warning Craft
P - Long-Distance Patrol Craft
E - Electronic Warfare Craft
C - Cargo Shuttle

Possible Third Position:
A - Anti-gravity capable  (In an X- designated craft, this will indicate its only propulsion method.  In all other craft, the anti-gravity will be an assist to the main engine.)

* The F-8 Falcon was referred to as the F/S-8 in the book.  I'll be fixing that.  The "S" was meant to represent "space capable".  Since every single craft in the book will have that designator, I decided it made no sense.  Most likely they would designate atmosphere-only craft, since those would be rarer within the book's universe.

Further:

First-wave Fleet list: (Not all of these would be sent out at once.)

Carrier: (Various Name Origins)**
    USS Nimitz II (CVZ-1)
        USS Amazon (CVZ-2)
Battleships: (Countries in the Alliance)
    USS Brazil (BBZ-1)
    USS America (BBZ-2)
        USS Argentina (BBZ-3)
        USS Canada (BBZ-4)
Cruisers: (Past Presidents in Alliance Countries)
    USS Corbett (CGZ-1)
    USS Diego Garza (CGZ-2)
    USS Quinlan (CGZ-3)
    USS Misty Rhodes (CGZ-4)
        USS George Washington (CGZ-5)
        USS Renata Cortez (CGZ-6)
Destroyers: (Stars, A-Z)
    USS Altair (DDGZ-1)
    USS Betelgeuse (DDGZ-2)
    USS Castor (DDGZ-3)
    USS Deneb (DDGZ-4)
    USS Electra (DDGZ-5)
    USS Furud (DDGZ-6)
    USS Gianfar (DDGZ-7)
    USS Homam (DDGZ-8)
    USS Intercrus (DDGZ-9)
    USS Jabbah (DDGZ-10)
Frigates: (Capital Cities of Countries in the Alliance)
    USS Denver (FFGZ-1)
    USS Brasilia (FFGZ-2)
    USS Ottawa (FFGZ-3)
    USS Santiago (FFGZ-4)
    USS Mexico City (FFGZ-5)
    USS Bogota (FFGZ-6)
    USS San Jose (FFGZ-7)
    USS San Salvador (FFGZ-8)
    USS Tegucigalpa (FFGZ-9)
    USS Caracas (FFGZ-10)
    USS La Paz (FFGZ-11)
    USS Asuncion (FFGZ-12)

** Yes, I am avoiding the name Enterprise.  What's your point?  3dangel

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#99 2021-10-22 09:20:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I forgot to answer your question about how I accidentally manage to get some of this stuff right. 

Does it tell you anything if I mention I have the Naval Vessel Register bookmarked?

I also used to have the "Fact File" pages for each and every service bookmarked, but I just went and checked, and apparently the only service that still has one that I can find is the Air Farce.

I've also talked to a few people over the years, like yourself, who served (mainly in the Navy, for some reason... must be all that time at sea away from women, makes y'all want to read my stories...  *shrugs*  3dbig_smile )

Of course, I've also read Clancy, paying attention to the details in his earlier books (before he started fucking up left, right, and center).  I've watched documentaries... generally, I just "like the military".  I used to think, if I'd had the eyesight, I would have been a naval aviator... but as I've gotten older, I think I'd have preferred being an Apache pilot.  Of course, I'm honest enough to admit, I probably would not have been good enough to do either of those things.  But I can dream.  3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#100 2021-10-27 01:03:14

ChiefRock
Wasted

So Nimitz would roughly be 3-4 times the size of our modern attack carriers carrying about 20,000 crew and roughly 100-175 smaller ships fighter and support equivelants. Also the larger ship would, like our carrier groups be supported by other ships filling scout, escort, and guard duties also supply or replenishment. This to me sounds very doable. I would add some of the larger guard ships likely will have auxiliary craft aboard also not in large numbers but some. Both fighter and support like shuttles.

I had said I liked my science fiction to be at least believable but this would include some kind of FTL drive. There are several theoretical types being researched. I believe all space drives will be eventually reactionless type either gravity or some other means of propulsion, likely either gravity or a derivative of the same system. Ejecting some form of matter is not a very efficient drive and likely will restrict us until we overcome the need

Board footer