The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-30 19:31:22

Veritas
Wasted
Website

Complaint

I have been a lurker for a long time on numerous erotic fiction sites, and have only recently started to participate.  When I do, I seek to participate, not critisize.  I never complain.

When I contact an author, I praise their creativity or writing style, which of their stories I like and why, and maybe a suggestion or question about when more chapters will be posted.

Then there are these dickheads, who live to critisize and/or nitpick every spelling or gramatical error, weak plotlines or dubious facts.  Why do they do it?  Is it a need to show how superior they are?

I've seen too many online authores become fed up or jaded by these messages, leading them to give up writing for un indeterminate amount of time.

Get a life #$%holes!

#2 2008-12-30 23:04:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Complaint

So your complaint... is that people complain?  3dsmile   I like it!  3dbig_smile

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2008-12-30 23:14:41

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

dude go to a scifi convention sometime esp when some one from a beloved series is speaking not just apearing

Nitpicking DEFINED

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#4 2008-12-31 00:51:27

unknown1000u2
Inebriated

What I particularly enjoy is when someone writes to tell you they are fed up with ypur story, have read it for months, but just can't take it anymore and are leaving.  Never once in the months they read it and enjoyed it did they ever give any positive feedback, never wrote at all, but they sure write when they're leaving. Oh well.  Doesn't happen on this site, of course.

#5 2008-12-31 04:16:43

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

"Then there are these dickheads, who live to critisize and/or nitpick every spelling or gramatical error, weak plotlines or dubious facts.  Why do they do it?  Is it a need to show how superior they are?"

I am guilty of this.  But I am excused, because that's called editing or proofreading when it's me. :-)

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#6 2008-12-31 17:03:12

Veritas
Wasted
Website

Editing and proofreading is acceptable, wanted even.  So is contructive criticism.

Author bashing is a totally different subject.

Why would somebody take the time to tell an author how much time he lost reading a story he doesn't like?  Why would he read it in the first place?

I only sent one message to an author that I could call "negative".  I don't remeber who he was, but he wrote a series about enslaving and breeding centaurs in a modern world.  There was nc, real slavery (not rp), beast and pedo.  The message was something like:

"Dude... really?  Is this what chose to create? 
No!  Not good!  Stop!"

#7 2008-12-31 21:28:31

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Even that message was inappropriate.  Just because YOU don't like the subject matter doesn't give you the right to tell someone else it's not worthy of writing.  As you said, if you don't like it, don't read it.  It is my standard rule that, if you really didn't like a story, NEVER give feedback.  You should only give feedback if you liked the story, but felt it could be better.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#8 2008-12-31 23:03:36

Yellow Snow
Inebriated

gee, does that mean all of those negative emails I keep sending myself for my stories aren't appropriate? 3dbig_smile

If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for that day, if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#9 2008-12-31 23:17:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yes, it does.  So knock it off!

Eric.

----
Facebook page

Board footer