The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-28 23:55:24

tigerdevil76
Tipsy

Barak Obama, was he the best candidate?

I am a life time Democrat and I have voted for one Republican in my life - Nixon and I supported Hillary during the campaign but not to the point of saying "Hillary or else".  I sit and watch the Democratic Convention and I can't help myself, I ask "this is the best we could do?"  I watch and listen to Barak Obama and I am just not moved, I'm not talking about his politics, I can't say I disagree with most of his ideas.  I look at Obama and I see John Kerry.  I see someone in an academic debate, not a Presidential election.  I watch a man I believe will just roll over and not fight back against the dirty politics that are coming and handing the election to the GOP.

I watch Hillary's speech and I feel the excitement of the crowd.  I see Bill's speech and could not get over the electricity you could feel like it was coming through the TV.  That's what a candidate should be.  Its no wonder why Democrats LOVE him and Neocons HATE him.

In a time that a vast majority of people are turned off by Republicans and expected huge gains by Democrats in both House and Senate seats in Congress, how can this race be so close?!  Thanks to a poorly ran military conflict, mishandling of the economy ( I'm not even sure how that is possible during a military conflict increasing demand), lying, and general total incompetence Americans are ready for a change and yet lukewarm response is found in Obama by most Americans.  I guess only time will tell.

#2 2008-08-29 15:29:40

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Re: Barak Obama, was he the best candidate?

i think not taking Hillary OR bill as his running mate was a bad move

i just hope some one told Bidden to keep is fucking mouth shut about the internet

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#3 2008-08-29 19:54:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, first off, full disclosure:  I am a centrist conservative, and I DESPISE the Clintons.  Having said that, I will attempt to set my feelings aside to be objective as any human actually can be.

The reason that the Obama/Clinton ticket was NOT the "Dream Ticket" that everyone thought it would be is as follows:

1. It would have made Obama look weak to everyone.  It would appear as if the loser had dictated the terms of her own surrender, and people would have to ask, "If he can't even handle his political opponents, how in the hell is he going to deal with terrorists?"
2. Having Hillary and Bill back in the White House would have essentially negated Obama's ability to be president.  Those two have such a working knowledge of Presidential dealings, they would simply have circumvented him on most issues.
3. Historically, we have yet to elect a ticket with ONE minority member on it... and you want to put two on the same ticket?  The likelihood of such a pair being elected at this point in time is pretty damned slim.
4. Want to find a way to energize the base?  This would do it.  The REPUBLICAN base, that is.  They already don't like Obama, but they LOATHE Hillary Clinton.  Put both of them on the same ticket, and what is expected to be a mediocre Republican turnout would probably have turned into a record turnout, just to make sure those two didn't make it into the White House. And by "those two", I mean Bill & Hillary.

No, it was a smart move on Obama's part to avoid the Clintons.  I don't know if Biden is going to help or hurt him, but I do know that he wouldn't have really been President if he'd won with Hillary on the ticket.  What they accuse Bush/Cheney of would have become a literal reality:  The VP would have been calling the shots.

I no longer really consider myself a Republican, but I am more of a conservative than a liberal, so I'd personally rather see McCain in the White House.  But I can live with Obama, I guess.  (Still doesn't mean I'm gonna vote for him... 3dsmile )  But I'm quite happy he didn't cave to the Hillary supporters and put her on the ticket.

Eric

PS:  BTW, tigerdevil, "dirty politics" is redundant, and the Republicans are hardly the only ones guilty of going negative in this campaign season.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2008-08-29 21:35:01

tigerdevil76
Tipsy

Thanks for the responses.  The last thing I meant, is he should have picked Hillary as his VP candidate; Bill looking over Obama's shoulder is the last thing any President would want.  He would just be a huge sore for any President to be that close.  If you didn't agree with him, he'd probably just start talking to the press about what you are doing wrong.  My point is simply I don't see anyone with the dynamics of a Bill Clinton and the skill as a politician and that is probably what we need most now in a candidate, be that Democrat or Republican.  Politics, especially presidential politics, to me about leadership skills and I see both candidates as not having that electricity.  The guide has to Bill C. and Ronald Reagan, the two best leaders we've had in the last fifty years and I disagreed with Reagan's politics as much as you, Eric with Clinton's.  Thats the biggest reason that the leaders of the GOP went so hard after Clinton, to stop what they saw as the threat of the end of the domination of politics they saw the GOP having after the success of the Reagan conservative movement.  I'm not trying to make this a who would be the better president, Obama or McCain, the question is where are the strong leaders that have come to the front in times of crisis that could motivate people to come together and solve major problems like we have now and I see no one on the horizon to be that leader.  Thanks to both of you Eric and Neitherspace for responding.
Tigerdevil

PS Eric you are correct in saying that "Dirty politics" is not just found in GOP campaigns, but you have to admit that Karl Rove had brought it to a whole new level and is the ultimate pro in using it against any opponent - ask John McCain!

#5 2008-08-30 00:32:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

And Karl Rove has had his Democratic equivalents.  They just don't get nearly as much attention.

And the problem with choosing Hillary is that she comes with Bill attached.  You don't get "just" Hillary.  You get "The Clintons".  They would both be there in the White House, running the show.  And Bill would be even freer to badmouth Obama if they disagreed because, after all, he wouldn't be an administration official, now would he?

As to a leader who can unite the people in time of crisis... um... Can you say "George Bush in late 2001"?  It's not the leader who does the uniting; it's the crisis.  I'll readily agree that GW Bush has not been the best of Presidents... nor has he been the worst, despite what some want to say.  He was one of the middling Presidents, of which probably 80% of Presidents are.  But in late 2001, the country was fairly unified behind him.  Why?  It had nothing to do with HIM, and everything to do with the fact that we, as a nation, were pissed off.  And that is usually what unites this country: not presidents, but particular issues, usually about our national sovereignty or safety.  The problem with most of the issues that need to be solved in America today is that unity is completely impossible.  We can agree the problems need solving, but we are diametrically opposed about HOW to solve them.  No president is going to overcome that problem, no matter how dynamic, charismatic, or energetic s/he is.

I agree that Reagan and Clinton were dynamic, but they were NOT "uniters", as you have implied them to be.  In fact, both of them engendered MASSIVE hatred and opposition.  Reagan was successful because he figured out how to take down the Soviet Union (at least temporarily... I personally think they'll be back soon).  Clinton was successful because... uh... see here's the problem:  Clinton was a POPULAR President, but he wasn't really "successful", because he didn't actually DO anything!  Some will claim that we had a booming economy at the end of his term, but the fact is that Presidents have little to nothing to do with how the economy fairs.  He didn't have any overarching achievement, as such... but I admit he was well-liked and popular when he left office.  So... I'm not sure how 'strong' a leader he was... given that he didn't really do much 'leading'.  But yes, he was very charismatic and energetic.

As to our current choices for President...  *shrugs*  You don't always get charismatic or energetic.  Obama is afraid to speak off-the-cuff.  McCain sucks at prepared speeches.  Neither of them gets fired up about anything other than bashing their opponent.  In short, they are typical politicians.  Will either of them be "great" Presidents?

Odds are against it, but anything's possible...

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#6 2008-09-09 00:32:35

tigerdevil76
Tipsy

Sorry for the long period between replies but I could not find the site but I've got it on my favorites site so that shouldn't be a problem anymore.  I hope the "stress" quote wasn't directed at me personally!   Bush I is an interesting thought I hadn't considered and for a short time I suppose that's true.  What eliminates him from the discussion is how his stock fell so greatly, so quickly, as to allow for the election of Clinton.  I would argue that both were uniters; their followers were extremely passionate and caused the changes that occurred during their administrations even though through different means.  This caused the extreme hatred of both by the opposition.  Reagan compromised with Tip O'Neal and was successful largely due to the Reagan Democrats.  Clinton took away Republican staples such as Welfare reform and balancing the budget and threated the success the GOP had gained, although he was not very successful when the Republicans took control of Congress but if the responce he received at the convention shows his popularity among Democrats and why if he could have run himself, would probably won the nomination because he is the utltimate politician of our time.
If anyone didn't think that the charisma isn't important how could a total unknown such as Palin could have such an effect on the polls.
Tigerdevil

#7 2008-09-09 01:30:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I wasn't referring to George HW Bush.  I was referring to George W. Bush, after 9/11.  The country was united for quite some time after that... which, as I said, had little to do with the president, and everything to do with the citizenry being royally pissed off.

And I didn't say charisma wasn't important in getting elected.  I said it wasn't important for the president to possess.  Charisma is useful in getting people to follow you.  It does NOT, however, qualify you to be dog catcher, let alone president.  I'll take someone with the personality of a wet noodle but who knows what the hell they're doing over a charismatic idiot any day of the week.  (Note: that wasn't a commentary on either of the charismatic candidates in the race at this time.)

Eric

----
Facebook page

Board footer