The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-03 23:04:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Just wondering...

...exactly what I have to do to get people to participate around here.

For the longest time, people have been screaming that they want more content, and that I should add more authors to the site.  So... I give you a way to recommend which authors I should add...

And then you refuse to use it.  There are a whopping FOUR recommendations for a new author, three of those for one and one for another.  It has taken something like three months to get even those recommendations.  I really don't want to make decisions based on these... well, honestly, crappy numbers.  I was hoping to add one new author a month... but I can't get enough recommendations together to add a new author every YEAR at this rate.

Feedback on this site is pitiful.  When authors do post, they get almost no commentary.  Donations don't even come close to the requested goal. (but thank you to those who do manage to donate)  You won't even make a recommendation for people I should invite to post here!  In short, this "community" is dysfunctional.

I've tried everything I can think of, so it's your turn.  How do we fix this problem?  Or has this site ALREADY died, just like the last one?

You tell me.
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2008-08-05 02:04:45

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Re: Just wondering...

for the donation thing i visit one site that has promised a chapter for every $50 donated

just a thought

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#3 2008-08-05 02:47:59

Corvis
Inebriated

Hello, Eric Storm

I haven't contributed very much to this community and this wonderful site, and I'm sorry for that.  The Pub means a lot to me, though I sure haven't made that fact clear at all.  By your own efforts and expense, you've given me and the other authors here a place to post our work and not worry about the nonsense we may have had to put up with at other sites.  There's no fee to join or a minimum to post to get full access.  There's no admin accusing us of being "lurkers" if we don't post new chapters every week, there's no underhanded goings on with people thinking they are in the court of Byzantium or something. 

In short, it's a great place to be and you keep working to make it better.  Despite how things may seem, I'm grateful for it.  I haven't offered suggestions for improvements or changes in part because I'm so happy just to have a place like this, that I don't feel the need to ask for more, and in part because I don't feel like I have a right to ask for more.  I mean it's not like I've done a thing to help out around here.  My lack of computer skills makes me somewhat less than useful. 

Please don't be discouraged.  I can't be the only person who values the Pub and appreciates your efforts.  To my fellow members:  Please give Eric some encouragement here so he'll know we really do care. 

Corvis

#4 2008-08-05 05:36:35

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Corvis:

I'm not so worried about people encouraging me or giving me ideas for improvement as much as actually just participating and having discussions here.  You know, actually communicating with one another.  The site's supposed to be a community, not just a "story store" where you grab what you want and go.

Neitherspace:

How long are those chapters?  Because if you were to look at that as being paid for your writing, it's not necessarily very good pay.  Let me show you what I mean:

My average chapter is about 11,000 words long.
5,000 cents divided by 11,000 words = .4545¢ per word.  That's .45¢, not $0.45 per word
As a reference, I believe the industry standard for magazines is something like 3¢ per word, 6.66 times as much.  (Granted, you have to get accepted by a magazine to get paid.  This is just a comparison.)

But, having said that, I've thought of offering to do a chapter of CAMP: Sibling Rivalry for every $X of donations received, but I don't know what people would really think of that, nor am I sure what the $X should be.

Eric "Dammit, I still type Net Wolf once in a while" Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2008-08-05 17:59:49

NahtanoJ88
Inebriated

This is just a though but a good number of the authors hang out in the chatroom and give each other feedback there as opposed to posting it in the forum where it would take longer to see.

#6 2008-08-05 19:43:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yes, they do.  And how many non-authors have you seen there?  Like three or four, total?

But this isn't even about story discussion.  This is just about discussion in general.  The other day, I posted a rant about the nature of science fiction.  NO ONE responded.  It was a good opportunity for people to say what they thought science fiction was, or how I was misguided... or even to agree with me... but no one said a word.  Many times on this forum, people have opened up topics that were good jumping-off points for a conversation, or they outright asked a question... but no one picks up the ball and runs with it.

I do my best to participate in the conversations here, but very few seem to be following my lead.  And I don't know what else to do to get people interested and excited about this website.  In fact, it often seems that my participation can KILL a discussion.  Is that, in fact, the case?  Do I need to silence my voice to keep people interested in this place?

Finally, after my rant, we have a few people recommended for posting here.  That's great, but the list should be longer, and lots more people need to participate before it's a useful system of choosing the next person to join.

In essence, I'm not complaining about any one thing or any one small group of people.  I'm saying that people aren't participating in the site at all.  And this site, as conceived, cannot work that way.

Eric

----
Facebook page

Board footer