The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-08-30 05:32:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: A question about fuel cell cars...

Um... Storymaster?  They DO.  There is a noticeable change in the weather around large cities.  Both from changes in wind as well as the "heat island" effect.  If there weren't, they wouldn't need special wind turbines for cities as opposed to those they use in the country.

But the point is you're talking thousands of wind turbines.  If you start adding them up, they might just equal that hyper-turbine you're talking about.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#27 2008-08-30 05:39:30

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I have to wonder, has anyone ever checked to see if skyscrapers do have an effect?

By the same token, they're worried about global warming, they say that the Antarctic ice is going to melt... what if it's not the greenhouse gases but the poor circulation of fresh water into the oceans, due to dams and such, that are making the temperature of the oceans rise?

Again, has anyone tested this theory?

It seems to me, they blame it all on CO2 because that just happens to be the first thing they found. What if it is us, the humans, doing it but not the way the scientists have come up with?

Maybe all we need to do to save the environment is to let the Mississippi, the Nile, the Amazon, the Mekong and all these other big rivers run wild the way they're supposed to. Maybe all the fresh water pouring in would fix the problem? I'm pretty sure someone out there can prove me wrong... or, I sure hope so anyway. 3dsmile

Last edited by Jefferson (2008-08-30 05:41:08)

#28 2008-08-30 05:50:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well, first off, the vast majority of the water in the rivers do end up in the oceans... they just make a couple detours first.  So the best you could say is that maybe it is slower when it gets there.

Second, they say that the reduction in salinity of the North Atlantic would be a problem... therefore a MORE saline ocean should be beneficial.

Third, measurements show that 2008 is the coolest year of the last five... so I'm thinking that Global Warming has some problems when faced with Real Life (TM).

Fourth, the ANTarctic ice pack is actually GROWING, not shrinking.  The Arctic ice is shrinking... or WAS.  It is actually bigger this year than last.  Again, Global Warming is butting up against hard facts.

Dams don't really prevent water from getting to the oceans.  They prevented a certain amount of water from getting to the ocean when they were built, but after that, the water still makes it past the dam, it just gets detoured first.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#29 2008-08-31 02:52:45

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

I know there is the heat island effect around cities, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that that was attributed to the higher pollution concentrations around said city, think mini-green house effect.  The thing is weather is effected by two major things: Jetstream which is thousands of feet up in the air and (I'm blanking on the proper term) the main ocean currents.

It is known that weather is effected by large very high objects like mountain ranges, watch a weather satellite and you can see the effect quite clearly with cloud cover and stuff.  It is still my opinion that current skyscrapers are nowhere near high enough nor in dense enough concentration to have a real impact on weather patterns except in very localized areas.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#30 2008-08-31 03:12:18

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yes, localized areas... but what happens when the "localized area" of a windfarm takes up a couple hundred square miles?

And the heat island effect has more to do with the roofing materials used than it does the pollution level.  Think "black body radiation", not "greenhouse effect".

Eric

----
Facebook page

#31 2008-08-31 03:48:03

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

And the heat island effect has more to do with the roofing materials used than it does the pollution level.  Think "black body radiation", not "greenhouse effect".
Eric

Good point.  There is also all the asphalt that will absorb energy from the sun.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#32 2008-09-07 06:28:09

bozotheclone1592
Tipsy

Eric,

Your comment about roofing material struck an idea in my beady little brain.

Thermo-electric conversion.

I remember when I was a kid and used to climb up into the top of the family garage in the summer.  It was probably 20-30°F hotter up there due to thermal uptake.  In the lab we use thermocouples to measure temperature via voltage generated by a junction of dissimilar metals.  I wonder if anyone has taken a look at using the thousands of square miles of asphalt roofs as thermal drivers to generate power via thermopiles??

(I looked here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocouple) to refresh my memory about some of the specifics.

I believe that you're right though about the law of unintended consequences about these many and varied plans.  Tidal power (can you say sushi?), what would be the effect of putting a couple of hundred power generating turbines in the gulf stream?  I just watched a propeller-type wind generator blow apart in too high a wind (which I believe was the impetus for 'your' compact wind turbine that dumps when too much wind hits it).

I read that article about the Volt.  At $35k/pop I'll not be getting one any time soon.  My car buying is usually of 3 or so year old cars that I hope will last me seven or more years with minimal repairs.  Popping for a $10k battery pack at year 5 would be a serious deal killer for my minor income.

I believe that the grid does help us keep the flow of power steady but as you said earlier, That way everyone loses power at once!

Hey.  The longer these bull sessions go on the better the chance that one of us may either come up with the NEXT BIG THING or maybe spark a new direction in someone else's mind.

BtC

#33 2008-09-07 09:34:31

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

hehehe.

I don't know about using thermopiles (my knowledge of thermodynamics is limited), but I know they have been using solar water heaters for a long time now, so I'm sure someone either already has, or will soon be, working on it.

As to the compact wind turbine... it doesn't "dump" (whatever you mean, exactly, by that) when too much wind hits it.  The design is simply capable of handling the turbulent wind found in a city environment.  The problem with wind turbines is that they cannot adjust to rapidly changing winds.  These compact turbines, because of their helical design, thrive on turbulence.

And yes, I agree that the grid gives us a steady flow of electricity... a steadily more unstable one, that is.  The problem is making the technology as reliable as your refrigerator.  Once it's reached that level, no one will worry about when it goes out, because it will happen so seldom.

Eric

PS:  The first turbine that they put into the East River to make use of the tidal forces?  It was ripped to shreds.  It simply couldn't handle the strength of the current.  3dsmile

----
Facebook page

#34 2008-09-23 06:04:30

advancewar
Wasted

well thats wierd . id swear i posted in this but now i cant rememebr what i was even suposed to post so i cant post what i wanted to post.......ohh well it will come to me

life=books

Board footer