The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-16 11:10:55

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Which do you want?

Okay, folks... in looking over the "ToDo" list here at the site, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm getting off track with things.  I had originally envisioned this site as a fun community place... somewhere you'd spend time at doing more than just reading stories.  But I'm not sure that's happening.  So, in keeping with the idea that the patrons of a site should dictate - to some extent - the direction of the site, I'd like your input on which of the following features I should even be bothering with.

redo contributor sections to use a Javascript menu for almost all navigation.
This would make for a "cleaner" interface, with less clutter.  However, users would have to make a choice to use or not use JS, using a utility added to the User Tools section.  Those who chose not to use Javascript would use the current interface, which would probably not get much attention in any future site upgrades.
story auto-scroll
To allow for hands-free reading.  If you don't know why you might need hands-free reading, you're at the wrong website; get off your dad's computer. 
name generation system
A tool for authors, to help them generate nationality-specific character names.  (That is to say, they could say, "I want a character with an Estonian name," or they might say, "I want a character with a French last name, and an English first name," etc. )
Full-text search engine
To be able to search for certain words within the actual text of a story, rather than just story codes and titles.
recipe book
To share your culinary experiments with the world
COMPOSITE novel system
A way for any registered user to contribute to a multi-path ongoing story.
Other
Please be specific in your comments.

If I don't get feedback from this, I'll just assume that no one gives a damn and not do anything at all, so now is NOT the time to be shy.  If you want something specific, you'd damned well better say so.  If you feel the desire to comment on each and every one of the things on this list, go right ahead.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2008-04-16 12:29:38

CSquared
Wasted

Re: Which do you want?

Personally, I like the look of the name generator and the composite novel system.  Of course, since I'm not an author on this site, the name generator wouldn't be of any use to me, so my vote goes for the composite novel system.

Unless, of course, you were to make the generator available to others... 3dwink

CSquared

Last edited by CSquared (2008-04-16 12:29:56)

#3 2008-04-16 19:52:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The name generator would be available to the public, probably with a couple limitations.  Like only site contributors would be able to "reserve" names.  (For instance, the name generator would never pop out the name "Ron Chaffey", because that name would be reserved.  No stealing my names, bitch!  3dbig_smile )

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2008-04-16 20:44:45

CSquared
Wasted

In which case, my vote's for the generator. XD

CSquared

#5 2008-04-16 22:47:10

Khellendros
Inebriated

The name generator sounds fun. Also I think it would be fun to display who is in the java chat on the main page. I don't know the possibilities of that, but it sounds good.

Khellendros

#6 2008-04-17 01:25:18

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I have tried, and been completely unable to connect IRC and PHP.  There are scripts out there, but I've been unable to get them to work.  The only way to list users in the chat is for the chat to be a streaming-PHP service rather than an actual IRC chat.  This is being discussed in another thread.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#7 2008-04-17 03:21:08

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Greetings

Well I'm going through a "foodie phase" so the recipe thingy sounds good but the composite novel seems more interesting with perhaps greater chance for interaction by members.  Even if someone can't write a whole story they can offer specific suggestions for scenes or even edit

Are you thinking some form of fully editable wiki?

As for the other java stuff, the  sites working for me, GOOD JOB!  I'm reading some great stories, thanx for a great venue.

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#8 2008-04-17 04:05:12

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Hmmm?

So many choices.

I LOVE the idea of the Composite novel. I've always loved that idea.

A name generator, especially if it offers FIRST and LAST names, would be great. I'd use it!

And the recipe section is something I've been waiting for on this site. With the oddballs who hang around here we should get some interesting cooking ideas. 3dsmile

Please don't ask me to choose which one I want most.

-Jeff

#9 2008-04-17 04:25:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

For those who haven't been following the other threads about feature requests, I'll explain this concept here:

COMPOSITE novel:

Collaborative (many people working on a single project)
Online (happens on the Internet)
Multi-
Path (explained below)
Open
Source (well... this is a bit of a stretch, but it is open-source in that anyone can extend the "code"...)
Imaginary (means we're writing fiction here...)
TalE (uh.... fancy word for "Story".  3dsmile  )

It works like this:

1. The staff posts Chapter 1 of some story.  This could be either from one of the member contributors, or by someone who simply submitted a chapter for consideration.

2. From that point, anyone can contribute a Chapter 2.  There can be multiple Chapter 2's.  (That's where the "Multi-Path" part comes in.)  The same with Chapter 3, 4, and so on.  Anyone can continue the story from any point whatsoever, for whatever length of chapters they can contribute.  If I submitted a chapter 2, 3, and 4, someone else could still continue my story after chapter 2, and take it in their own direction.

3. The readers can choose their path through the story by reading short synopses of the available chapters to read.  The site would keep track of what paths the readers have read, so they wouldn't have to keep track on their own.

4. Any registered member can submit a chapter; they do not need to be a contributor.  This allows those who might want to try their hand at writing a chance to get their feet wet without committing to a whole story on their own.

5. The story ends when people stop contributing to it. 3dsmile

6. There might be more than one COMPOSITE novel running at once.

This will NOT be a wiki: people will not be allowed to modify other people's words.  If you don't like the way someone wrote their part of the story, write your own version and submit it.

I realize the "open source" is a bit of a misnomer, since I'd prefer people didn't go posting the story elsewhere, but I couldn't think of anything else that would both fit there, AND make a word.  3dsmile

Anyway, that's the full idea of the COMPOSITE novel.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#10 2008-04-17 06:11:49

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

We have talked several times about my interest in the COMPOSITE idea so I think you can consider it a given that that one gets a vote.  I also have a few different recipes I like to make and would like to share with others so that one gets my vote too.

I think I detect a pattern forming here.  Cool stories and yummy food to eat while reading them.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#11 2008-04-19 00:30:30

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

what would be cool is if you had a rule that you can't post 2 chapters in a row on any thread of the story

just a thought

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#12 2008-04-19 01:10:47

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Why is that cool?  It discourages progress, and discourages people who actually want to tell their own full version of the story.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#13 2008-04-20 02:02:27

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

If you don't like their second chapter... write your own, obviously.  Duh.  That's the Point!

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#14 2008-04-20 14:21:33

unknown1000u2
Inebriated

I like the name generator and recipe ideas.  And you can just say my name when you talk about oddballs eatres, Jefferson; I won't be offended!

#15 2008-05-02 00:49:08

NahtanoJ88
Inebriated

I was a bit slow on the uptake here but I like the Name Generator and Composite Novel System.

Board footer