The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-09 06:37:23

AceMcCloud
Inebriated
Website

Anyone else get an ebook reader for Christmas?

My wife got me a Sony PRS-505. The eInk technology is very cool. Haven't read anything but conventional books on it yet but I was considering creating LRF versions of Fruitcake Lovers and Mothers of Darkness and Light.

Before anyone asks - no I have no interest in a Kindle.

Ace

Stories on MP3 - The [Adult] Reading For The Blind project: http://www.asstr.org/~Stories_on_MP3/

#2 2008-01-09 07:23:37

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Re: Anyone else get an ebook reader for Christmas?

i just saw an ebook reader that uses eInk that has a cell system built into it so you can download new books on the fly

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#3 2008-01-10 01:39:25

AceMcCloud
Inebriated
Website

<quote>i just saw an ebook reader that uses eInk that has a cell system built into it so you can download new books on the fly</quote>

Uh, that IS the Kindle, by Amazon. Yes, Amazon, the very same company that had a hosted ebook service, that they canceled and everybody who paid for content lost it all.

Stories on MP3 - The [Adult] Reading For The Blind project: http://www.asstr.org/~Stories_on_MP3/

#4 2008-01-18 04:09:14

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

OH! wow they were talking about that at g4's coverage of CES so i didn't think it was out yet is it the one thats pared w amazon?

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#5 2008-01-26 00:33:17

advancewar
Wasted

1 i just saw that going hu the bus terminal at ney york(its EVERYWERE)
2 I WANT ONE
3 does it work well?
4 how much does it cost?

life=books

#6 2008-01-26 04:37:25

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

amazon sells em
they only use power when the page changes so they have insane battery life

#7 2008-02-12 05:17:16

AceMcCloud
Inebriated
Website

they only use power when the page changes so they have insane battery life

That's not the whole story though. The unit has a computer that requires power so letting it sit idle will eventually drain the battery. If you properly shut it down when not in use then yes, it has excellent battery life.

So far I've read about a dozen books and to be quite honest, I really like it.

Ace

#8 2008-02-12 08:27:54

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

not havening one i can only comment on what iv'e been told
u may have said bu how does the memory work i like the idea of his thing but not of haveing to delete books that id rather keep

#9 2008-02-12 10:19:18

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

1. I don't own this thing.
2. I'd like to.
3. Here's the Sony website product page: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto … 1644523779
4. If I've read this correctly, eBooks can be stored on your PC when you're not reading them on the eReader.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#10 2008-02-12 22:23:05

J-Man5
Tipsy

What I use is my Pocket PC phone and an application called iSilo www.isilo.com) and a program called iSiloX www.isilox.com)  Isilo comes in many different platform flavors.  Palm, Windows, PocketPC and SmartPhone and I think symbian.  If you have access to a books text in Html or Txt format you can create a book.  I have about 300 books on my PPC's 2GB micro sd card.  And still have space left over.  I can also capture websites and carry them with me for documentation while working on say someone's network or server.  It works out pretty well.  If you play around on craigslist or freecycle you could probably get and older palm or pocketpc for low cost or no cost and try out isilo.  You would have to eventually purchase isilo.  But it is my personal choice of offline reader.

J-Man5

#11 2008-02-13 02:26:09

Imagineer
Wasted

I am wary of the impermanence of any digital format as compared to a physical book. I have electronic files a mere decade old that are unreadable because their applications don't run anymore and their format's been abandoned. I have books that are older than I am that I can find, open, and begin reading in minutes.

I'm also a big fan of the printed page. Black ink on white paper (or even yellowed pulp) is high-resolution stuff, very high-contrast and easy to read.

But...

I saw a demo unit of the Sony reader over the weekend. It's lightweight (paperback light) and stupid-easy to use. It's also quite readable -- for an electronic display. To my eyes it wasn't as clear as the last cheaply-printed paperback I read, but it's probably good enough, considering its other advantages.

Advantage One: it's spineless. I've been on a reading binge lately and my left hand hates me. Holding open a paperback is no fun.

Advantage Two: push a button, the text gets bigger. You don't think you need bigger text... until you push a button and it gets bigger and your eyes say "thank you." My 10am eyes are not the same as my 10pm eyes.

I used to think "I'll never get an electronic reading device." A few minutes with the Sony reader in-hand hasn't quite sold me yet, but I'm warming up to the idea.

#12 2008-02-13 03:48:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Imagineer wrote:

I am wary of the impermanence of any digital format as compared to a physical book. I have electronic files a mere decade old that are unreadable because their applications don't run anymore and their format's been abandoned

And the problem here is proprietary formatting, not digital formatting.  With proper care and refreshing, my digital books will last indefinitely.  Your printed book will eventually disintegrate into dust, no matter how much care is taken with them.  HTML is still around.  ASCII is still around.  The open formats will always exist, and chances are there will always be converters from one of these open formats into the new proprietary format of your choice.  (Though sticking with the open formats makes far more sense...)  Don't decry the "impermanence of ANY digital format", when you're really decrying the fact that companies think proprietary formats are a good thing.

PS: If those files are actually unreadable, why do you still have them?

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#13 2008-02-13 17:20:16

Imagineer
Wasted

PS: CD-Rs hold lots of files.

You're right, the problem is proprietary formatting. I believe that most digital formatting is still proprietary, or at least has such a strong short-term bias that it requires extra work if it is to be useful a decade after its creation.

Books are easy to care for. The good ones will last well beyond my lifetime without anything more complicated than storage in the same conditions I require for personal comfort.

Digital formatting requires more maintenance, by a digital mechanic. It's getting better, but booksellers and digital readers are still fond of proprietary formats, so you're left to convert things yourself, and that conversion still requires a level of technical fastidiousness that Eric Storms possess in abundance but most folks don't have. Most "Save to" conversions suck, either stripping some information (ASCII) or larding up with WYSIWYGery that's frighteningly of-the-moment. This has been my experience. HTML seems permanent, but its format too has evolved -- remember the days when nobody used (/P) tags? I have files that passed XHTML 1.0 Strict checking by W3C's engine five years ago -- I checked them two months ago and they failed. PDF looks like a pretty good format, but we've only recently come into desktop displays that can actually give us a readable full-page view of the most common (8.5x11) PDF page size, and neither of the two hot digital readers of today handle it well.

Digital formatting has the potential for endless renewal -- paper books do require progressively more elaborate environmental support and careful handling as they age, particularly if they were cheap to begin with, or if they're from a certain period, but for the most part I don't have to think about it, and my children don't either.

I shouldn't have to think about the digital books I get either, but today, I still do.

#14 2008-02-13 20:22:49

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Just for the record, PDF is a proprietary format.  It still requires licensing from Adobe to write PDF creation software.

Or, at least, it did the last time I looked into it, which granted, wasn't recently.

----
Facebook page

#15 2008-02-14 08:47:05

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

Imagineer wrote:

I am wary of the impermanence of any digital format as compared to a physical book. I have electronic files a mere decade old that are unreadable because their applications don't run anymore and their format's been abandoned

And the problem here is proprietary formatting, not digital formatting.  With proper care and refreshing, my digital books will last indefinitely.  Your printed book will eventually disintegrate into dust, no matter how much care is taken with them.  HTML is still around.  ASCII is still around.  The open formats will always exist, and chances are there will always be converters from one of these open formats into the new proprietary format of your choice.  (Though sticking with the open formats makes far more sense...)  Don't decry the "impermanence of ANY digital format", when you're really decrying the fact that companies think proprietary formats are a good thing.

PS: If those files are actually unreadable, why do you still have them?

point to Eric on this one i know a programmer who told me she had to learn COBOL to write some stuff for the airlines during the whole Y2K deal

Now the obvious question but be asked: if it can be done would you want e-reader friendly versions of the pub writers work? would you be willing to pay for it?(may be required to pay the license fee but may also be used to support the site)

on an unrelated note: WOW this thread took a while to get going didn't it

#16 2008-02-26 04:07:26

AceMcCloud
Inebriated
Website

I recall reading recently (in the last month?) that PDF was approved as a standard by some standards group (ISO). I don't know that Adobe has loosened the reins but I would be surprised if they hadn't.

One thing about the Sony: It has ports for 2 different memory card formats. I have 2x 2GB cards for it that have dozens of books on them and they are, for all intents and purposes empty. It is likely that the two cards can hold 1,000-2,000 books each.

Currently, there is no electronic media form that consumers have access to that is good for more than 5-10 years. Pressed CDs and DVDs might be good for 100 years but +-R and RW media all degrade very quickly - even faster than magnetic media. That doesn't mean that it's impossible to maintain stuff forever, just that you have to actually work at it a bit.

Ace

Board footer