The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-09 02:08:53

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Terminally Ill? Or Terminally Stupid?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucjk/20080109/c … ehighcourt

The above link will take you to a column written by James J. Kilpatrick, a regular columnist on the Supreme Court as well as on the English language (Different columns.)

The story is that of Abigail Burroughs.

Personally, I think the FDA should be held accountable for medical negligence, maybe even murder. This is ridiculous.

Last edited by Jefferson (2008-01-09 02:09:23)

#2 2008-01-09 07:26:58

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Re: Terminally Ill? Or Terminally Stupid?

i agree when its a case of using it and theres a chance they could die, or not using it they will die personally 50/50 odds are a step up

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#3 2008-01-09 19:38:49

Tralist
Inebriated

Christ, tehy will send drugs out under tested that are for erections, or pain relief, but are hyper protective of life saving drugs? The whole unit needs scrapping and all it's duties need to be placed under the Surgeoun Generals administration.

"Good luck, Captain. I think you are about to go where everyone has gone before."
Commander Susan Ivanova, Voices of Authority

#4 2008-01-10 23:15:38

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

to bad it won't happen

Last edited by Neitherspace (2008-01-10 23:16:09)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#5 2008-01-11 11:41:05

Tralist
Inebriated

No kidding. Big "Bidness", as the say down here, will never let their claws out of something like the drug approval industry. Maybe a bunch of class action lawsuits will force them into some reform?(Sorry for the typing and spelling errors. I have a new born at home and get not enough sleep.)

"Good luck, Captain. I think you are about to go where everyone has gone before."

#6 2008-01-11 17:36:15

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

*snort*  You think the drug companies like the FDA doing what it does???  Without the FDA's interminable interference, drug companies could get their product to market YEARS faster.  Oh, they would still charge an arm and a leg for it, but they'd be making those profits a lot quicker...

No, "Big Business" isn't any happier with the FDA than the consumers are.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#7 2008-01-12 04:52:32

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

well the fda give the drug companies a reason to charge what they do, bt your right eric (almost typed net lol) the drug companies HATE the fda

#8 2008-01-12 07:31:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

But see, here's the thing:  The drug companies could make their same current profit margin for significantly less if the FDA was interested in actually protecting the majority, instead of protecting every single solitary person who might get a hangnail.

And if the drug companies charged less, more people could afford medication.  And oh, yeah, we wouldn't all be screaming about the damned drug companies.

So... yeah.  FDA:  Fucked-up Drug Administration.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#9 2008-01-12 14:43:25

Tralist
Inebriated

Yeah, but the FDA is staffed from, and funded by, the Drug Companies themselves. They pay a fee, but they also get a say in who sits on the board. The more you pay, the faster and easier you can slip a drug through like Vioxx or Chantix that do more harm than good. Now the biotech companies that are actually trying to do something good run into the big PharmCo's and can't get their treatments approved. If pfizer had that treatment, it would probably already be widely available, but since it is a smaller company, the FDA screwed everyone. Also, we have to cover big PharmCo's ad expenses telling which drugs we need to tell our Dr we need. That is even more assinine. And someone remind me later on to rant and Rave about the AMA.

#10 2008-01-13 05:00:59

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

when a pesant in Cuba can get better health care than a poor person in one of the richest mot powerful nation in the world then there is somthing severly FUCK"D UP In THE WORLD

#11 2008-01-13 08:55:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

They may get MORE health care, but I highly doubt they're getting better health care.

----
Facebook page

#12 2008-01-13 13:56:25

Tralist
Inebriated

THrir poor are getting better health care because they at least can always see a Dr and always get their medicine filled regardless of which medicine it is. In the states, if you are poor, sometimes you have to decide between medicine and food (growing up my family had to do this a few times, and we had insurance). There is no reason a drug should cost us 10 to 20 times what it costs in another country. Also there is no reason a drug should be allowed to change its formulation just slightly to avoid having someone make a generic, but that happens everyday as well. When the first person brought corporate greed into Health Care, this where the system was bound to lead. ANd health insurance is getting to the point where it isn't much help either. We are paying more and more for it, and it covers less and less...  For profit health care is thethird most evil thing in the universe, behind pop music and strandardized in school testing...

#13 2008-01-13 22:47:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yes.  The only thing worse than for-profit health care is.... non-profit health care.

Sure, they get "a" medication.  Do they have any chance of being certain that what is actually in the bottle is how its labeled?  No, they do not.  It has been PROVEN FACTUALLY that the drugs imported into the US from other countries often do not even contain the ingredients they are labeled with.  You think they're giving us the bad stuff while they give their people the good stuff?  Not likely.

Yes, our health care system sucks.  It's just the best one in the world, is all.  Sorry, but socializing medicine hasn't worked to the benefit of the patients anywhere it has been tried.  Doctors who are being paid the same as factory workers simply don't give enough of a damn about what they're doing.  Companies that won't make a profit off their product aren't likely to want to spend money inventing new products.

The thing you should all be screaming about is the stock market, actually.  Because once a company goes public, it is OBLIGATED ETHICALLY to make as high a profit as it can for its shareholders; they, after all, gave it the money to get started, and they are, in real terms, the owners of the company.  Only private companies can ethically decide to reduce profits to better serve their customers.

I don't actually see a way out of the mess our health care system has become.  Socialized medicine WILL NOT WORK.  It has never worked anywhere it's been tried; it is plagued with waiting lists for important surgeries, doctors who don't give a shit, and substandard care.  Our system works in a functional way, but is much too expensive for most people.  I know this firsthand, since LAoW and I have mounting medical bills we have almost no hope of paying off.

So, you can bitch and moan all you want, but unless you have a new solution, it's not going to do any good.

----
Facebook page

#14 2008-01-14 12:52:58

Tralist
Inebriated

I am not for socialized medicine. I am however against Medical Companies being traded on the open stock market. The market is a wonderful thing, but not for all businesses. I think the pressures of making a profit make for bad medical practices. Social medicine is a complete and utter disaster. I have worked in EMS and seen what the county hospital is like in a 3 of the largest cities in the Country (Houston, Dallas, For Worth). 16 hours in a waiting room is not my idea of good medical practices. But having worked in EMS for a horribly unethical company, I have also seen where "making a profit" by being sent out without proper medicine, or with equipment that is not compatible with all the other equipment on the truck. My partner and I were helpless on a SIDS baby when none of our IV stuff would work with the IO needle we inserted for a medline. We were told, "Well those needles were on sale, and we have to be frugal." And that is just one side of this mess. I think moving medical companies off the markets is a start though, and prohibiting drug companies from advertising prescription medicine. Will it fix all the problems? No, but we need to start somewhere. Just my take on things....

#15 2008-01-14 19:20:47

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The problem with moving med companies off the market is... where are they supposed to get their capital from?  Drug research is highly speculative: there's no guarantee of if or when you will discover anything.  There aren't many people - even billionaires - willing to just throw money at the problem.

And I see no problem with the drug companies advertising, except for the fact that they have to spend an inordinate amount of money on it, thanks to the cable companies and the TV networks... (Don't even get me started on THOSE bastards...)  I'd much prefer to know what my options are than to have to take my doctor's word for it.  My doctor has often as not turned out to be a moron...

----
Facebook page

Board footer