The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-18 00:22:30

advancewar
Wasted

tv shows everyone loves

yel at me if this has been dome im to impatient to look  but whats everyones favorite tv shows (and mini series)   my fav shows include most (not all) anime, stargate sg-1 and atlantis, tin man(good show)

i havent realy watched tv lately i play to many video games and read too much 3dbig_smile but wene i can these are my favorites

life=books

#2 2007-12-18 02:27:25

Imagineer
Wasted

Re: tv shows everyone loves

I have a strong like for a few shows -- Heroes (shock!), Robot Chicken, Burn Notice (dumb but damn charming), 30 Rock, and Family Guy immediately spring to mind. The list wouldn't be so heavy on comedy, but TV has burned me so many times with dramatic series -- Brimstone the first of many heartbreaks -- that I won't watch a show with continuity until it's renewed for a second season. (I am not a Nielson household, so it's not like my viewing would keep anything on the air.)

Favorite newly-discovered show: Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

What TV shows do I love? Only one is on that list right now: The Venture Bros.
Best show on my television. Even in repeats.

Last edited by Imagineer (2007-12-18 02:28:02)

#3 2007-12-18 02:56:14

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

There are only a few shows that I watch every time a new episode airs. The only ones that come to mind right off are Heroes and Life.

I'm pretty sure Heroes will be back for the second half of it's second season and will be on for a third, if and when the strike ever ends.

I'm already preparing myself for the cancellation of Life. I'm pretty sure it won't make it. Not because it isn't good but because it IS good.

I am also a huge fan of Futurama, of which they are now making NEW episodes to be aired in 2008 on the cartoon channel. YIPPEE!!!!!!

#4 2007-12-18 03:21:33

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Lost, Heroes, Dr Who,  Torchwood, Chuck, Reaper, and Moonlight

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#5 2007-12-18 04:16:18

Imagineer
Wasted

I hope Chuck makes it to a second season. Then maybe I can start watching it 3dsmile

#6 2007-12-18 04:59:55

Khellendros
Inebriated

I watch chuck, reaper, house, heroes, bones, pushing daisies, and boston legal.

On the Chuck note, it is a show about retards which mostly reminded me of a poor rendition of Jake 2.0. Not that I will stop watching it but....

Khellendros

#7 2007-12-18 08:35:21

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Pushing Daisies I can't believe i for got about it i LOVE that show its got a burttonesque quality to it

and for the record Jake 2.0 was the first attempt to revive the bionic franchise (which is why lee majors was in an episode)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#8 2007-12-18 08:50:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hmm. 

Drama: House
"Reality": So You Think You Can Dance, Project Runway, NINJA WARRIOR
"Real-Life": Forensic Files, Masterminds, The New Detectives, The Investigators
Documentary-ish: Deadliest Catch, Mythbusters
Science Fiction: Babylon 5, Star Trek: TNG, Andromeda
Comedy: Family Guy, Simpsons

TV Channels:  Court TV (soon to be TruTV), Discovery, Science Channel, Animal Planet... does anyone see a theme here?

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#9 2007-12-18 15:30:37

Tralist
Inebriated

The History Detectives, Babylon5, Dr Who, Simply Ming, America's test Kitchen, 60 Minutes.

No cable, no time during the week, so if it isn't on broadcast in DFW on the weekend or available online, I don't get to see it. And my site for B5 went down just recently, ugh.

"Good luck, Captain. I think you are about to go where everyone has gone before."
Commander Susan Ivanova, Voices of Authority

#10 2007-12-18 21:36:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No....cable.

*shudders*

Honestly?  Why not?   If you break it down, even digital cable is the best entertainment investment you can make.  For less than $2/day, you get entertainment right in your home 24/7.  (Well, okay, maybe 22/7, but you do have to sleep SOMEtime... 3dbig_smile )

Net Wolf

PS: No, I don't work for the cable industry.  I have considered dropping cable myself a few times.  It was this piece of logic that made me keep it.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#11 2007-12-19 03:10:36

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

i agree w you about ninja warior net but i personally think that borders on being a sport

#12 2007-12-19 03:36:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No.  Sports are those intolerable, annoying things that interrupt my Sunday / Monday programming and waste billions of taxpayer dollars for stadiums and things.

Ninja Warrior has 1) an alloted time slot that it NEVER exceeds.  2) No taxpayer support whatsoever - it's funded by Japanese and American commercials.  3) Entertainment value.

3dsmile

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#13 2007-12-19 07:21:45

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

i meant  sport in the traditional sense in that its a test of ones phsical abilites for the honor of saying your the best (as far as i know you get nothing for wining)

#14 2007-12-19 08:20:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Actually, there is a roughly $20,000 award for the winner.

And since no one said, "Favorite TV show that didn't show sports..."  3dtongue

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#15 2007-12-19 12:34:42

Yellow Snow
Inebriated

My favorite shows would be : Cops, Family Guy, Simpsons, History Detectives, the old show FBI Files, House, and COLLEGE football. I never have time to watch most of these, but this is viewing fare when I can watch the boob tube.

If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for that day, if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#16 2007-12-19 21:57:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Actually, FBI Files is still airing, and I think still being produced, over on Discovery Times channel.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#17 2007-12-20 07:49:18

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Net Wolf wrote:

Actually, there is a roughly $20,000 award for the winner.

And since no one said, "Favorite TV show that didn't show sports..."  3dtongue

Net Wolf

well that makes a bit more sence

#18 2007-12-21 06:34:19

Corvis
Inebriated

I like Mythbusters pretty well.  I used to like Ghost Hunters, but it's not quite as much fun now that they've gotten rid of Brian of "Dude!  Run!" fame.  Cops can be fun to watch sometimes.  I also like older cartoons, like Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes when I can see them. 

Oh, and I don't know if they will or not, but I'm rather hoping that Sci Fi will have another season of The Dresden Files.

#19 2007-12-21 10:42:17

JayVee
Inebriated
Website

Meh. Our local TV-shows have a trait in common: they suck. Which is probably understandable, production houses here produce for a maximum public of roughly 6 million people, so they work on small budgets.
So my favourite tv-shows would be... Imported.

I like CSI's. I liked Heroes too, but season 2 is not airing here yet. That latest (=well, over here anyway) Star Trek series was nice... Although I missed half the episodes. Stargate SG1, yeah, not a real follower of the series, but if I happen to come across an episode on a lazy day, I do watch.
24. Definitely.

In the cartoon section: Futurama, Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy.
"Avatar: The last airbender" is a great one among the more recently started series.

That said, I can't help but feel frustrated about the channels here. Even if they start airing a good series at one time or another, they stop after one season or half a season. And then the reruns start. While across the Atlantic, new episodes are released.
I'd even go as far as putting the following estimate on it: on any given day, power on the TV at any given time, and the first thing you will see is commercials or anything similar designed to make you spend money (39% chance), a rerun of good shows (20% chance), a rerun of awful shows (10% chance), some reality-TV nonsense (Big Brother, The Bus, The Block, Mamaswitch, something about islands, Peking express, Childbirth, the airport, ... = 30% chance).

So if I want to watch TV, and that doesn't happen very often, then I mostly watch Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." - Rich Cook

#20 2007-12-21 11:26:44

advancewar
Wasted

OMG how could i have forgoten to menton by name family guy and futurama , and robot chicken :\ and mythbusters is aswome too. me personaly im not big on the drama but heros is cool........hold it did he just say he dosent have cable 3dyikes      OMG THE HORROR THE HORROR

p.s. watcing sports sucks i would much rather be on the field getting killed by the 300 pound linebackers then watch it 3dsmile

life=books

#21 2007-12-21 20:37:48

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

JayVee wrote:

I liked Heroes too, but season 2 is not airing here yet.

man do your self a favor either find a web site w the episodes or avoid the fan sites like the plauge

Board footer