The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-29 03:17:03

flar66
Inebriated

recipe section??

I have noticed that there is a section of the pub that is for recipes, but that it is currently inactive. I know I don't get to contribute too much verbally to the pub, fore I am not gifted in the art of writing stories. And although I do enjoy reading them immensely. I would feel uncomfortable giving feedback on a story, if I am not capable of writing my own. I am no longer in the culinary field, but was a chef for almost 18 years before changing professions. Maybe a weekly recipe, answer requests weekly for certain recipes, or just helpful kitchen and cooking tips??  Any opinions? I would be more then willing to help in this fashion.  And  it would give me a way to be more constructively active.

" There is no substitute for good manners--Except fast reflexes"

#2 2007-11-29 08:38:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: recipe section??

I am going to try to get the recipe section up and running in the next couple months.  Once I do, I will see about giving you a "weekly recipe" box, much link the "drink of the week" box (but hopefully updated more regularly!  3dbig_smile )

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2007-12-01 03:51:03

flar66
Inebriated

Thank you. Don't rush on my account, but when it is up and running I will be more then happy to help.

#4 2007-12-12 04:48:25

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

I don't know why, but I kind of think that flar had the impression of the recipe section being more like a... forum of its own or something everyone could add recipes to at will, sort of a thing.  As opposed to something that got updated one recipe at a time on a weekly basis.  I don't know why I have this impression, but it seems like letting other people just add recipes and maybe some sort of search function for when it gets bigger would be less hassle for you to deal with, Net.  I could be mistaken about this, but at least you wouldn't have to sort through recipe suggestions and add them manually once a week that way.  I'd be willing to throw in recipes for banana bread, pumpkin apple bread, and mint chocolate chip cheesecake if you'd like them.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#5 2007-12-12 06:32:01

flar66
Inebriated

I will be honest. I have never run a site before and have no idea what kind of work would be required, for Net to do, to make any of these ideas happen. But whatever is the easiest, will be fine with me. Maybe people can make requests in the forum and I could just post the recipes they ask for in response? Net, you decide what is the best way. I will work around whatever system you wish me to use.

#6 2007-12-12 09:50:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, here are my thoughts.

The recipe section will be a user-postable system, meaning that anyone can post a recipe as they see fit.  If there is to be a Recipe of the Week, it'll be chosen from one of the previously posted recipes by... someone.

I have yet to discuss the issue with you, flar, but my thoughts were that you might be "in charge" of our recipe division, which would mean choosing the Recipe of the Week (or posting one, if no one else has submitted anything, or you just have a better idea...).  As to tips, tricks, or other thoughts or articles you might wish to contribute...  And that being the key word: contribute...  I was thinking to simply make you a contributor, and you could post things to your own account as you saw fit.  Someone asks you, "How do I poach an egg?"  You can write an article on the seventy-three different ways to prepare eggs, or whatever. 

(Okay, smart-asses, I have NO CLUE how many ways there are to prepare an egg.  Don't go looking it up!)

If having your own contributor section doesn't appeal to you, we could simply set aside a forum section for you.  I just think that sometimes feels a little... cluttered.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#7 2007-12-13 01:17:12

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

If you are looking for opinions I personally would rather keep the recipes out of the forum.  This is my personal opinion but I don't really care for sites that use forums for anything except for discussions like this site does.

I'm sure most of us have at least a few recipes kicking around that we love and if we can put it into an HTML document and post that would be cool.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#8 2007-12-13 03:29:06

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

1. The recipes themselves will never be in the forum.  They will be in a recipe archive, much like the drinks archive, though hopefully more active.  :S

2. Users will not need to reformat their recipes... They will merely need to use the site's recipe-entry program to enter ingredients and instructions, and possibly (I haven't decided on this yet) a picture.

What would get placed in the forum would be discussion of recipes, and, if he does not want a contributor section, whatever tips, tricks, and other ideas that flar would want to hand out to us unwashed masses.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#9 2007-12-13 04:31:17

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Ah that makes sense.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#10 2007-12-14 17:28:47

WarLord
Wasted
Website

flar66 wrote:

I have noticed that there is a section of the pub that is for recipes, but that it is currently inactive. I know I don't get to contribute too much verbally to the pub, fore I am not gifted in the art of writing stories. And although I do enjoy reading them immensely. I would feel uncomfortable giving feedback on a story, if I am not capable of writing my own. I am no longer in the culinary field, but was a chef for almost 18 years before changing professions. Maybe a weekly recipe, answer requests weekly for certain recipes, or just helpful kitchen and cooking tips??  Any opinions? I would be more then willing to help in this fashion.  And  it would give me a way to be more constructively active.

Greetings

Of late I've become a 'foody' maybe its looking for a"meals that appeal" when I'm not in the mood or its just TV is so barrren that the Food Network becomes my surfing destination. I'd like the idea of recipes, hints and tips.  Even if I don't use every one, I did change the way I carved the turkey on Thanksgiving because it worked so good for Bobbie Flay...

And who doesn't think that Iron Chef Cat Cora is hot as archetype warrior women in "Kitchen Stadium" 3dcool

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

Board footer