Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-27 03:22:13

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Looking for power ideas

I'm working on a story where i need super powers but not super hero lvl powers

here's what i got so far

Dr. Beryl founder of the Beryl Foundation: can see the microscopic world with out the use of a microscope,

Federal agents:
Howard Adams: can see how people are connected to each other and to their surroundings.

Jean Howlett: can communicate with some one if she has touched a personal item,

Tomas Howlett: Jean’s twin brother, Class 3 Empath, can read emotion off of objects as well as people

I need one more power that would be useful in law enforcement

but if anyone else could give me ideas about powers that could be useful in an ordinary job i can use those too.

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#2 2007-11-27 05:39:35

AceMcCloud
Inebriated
Website

Re: Looking for power ideas

Here are some ideas:

1. ability to identify a substance by looking at it

2. ability to know where something was at any point in the last hour

3. ability to identify where an object in a picture is now

Stories on MP3 - The [Adult] Reading For The Blind project: http://www.asstr.org/~Stories_on_MP3/

#3 2007-11-27 07:01:27

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

hmmm well 2 & 3 are sort of what i was gonna do for toms power but i can use number 1 to explain something Iv'e already written

but im gonna make a file of everyones suggestions so I'll put these in that

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#4 2007-11-27 09:08:00

Khellendros
Inebriated

Minor telepathy - he knows when someone is lying.

Khellendros

Last edited by Khellendros (2007-11-27 09:16:08)

#5 2007-11-27 11:49:02

Veritas
Wasted
Website

1 - A human lie detector.

2 - A locator.  With a photo or personal item he can pinpoint a person's location on a map.

3 - Signs and portents only he can see.  An advertisement above someone's head suddenly changes to "follow him"... A stop sign changes to "go home now"... All the roads on a map impossibly lead to the same location... etc.

#6 2007-11-27 17:00:55

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Khellendros: i like it and i can use it

Verias

1 Khellendros beat u too it

2 AceMcCloud beat u too it

3 interesting...i'll add it to the list

#7 2007-11-27 23:19:55

Corvis
Inebriated

Perhaps the ability to daze someone for a few seconds?  This might be helpful for when a person resists arrest.

#8 2007-11-28 18:17:54

Veritas
Wasted
Website

OK.  Here are some more unusual powers.

1 - Timespot under certain conditions: only while holding his breath, or with a significant amount of adrenaline in his bloodstream, or as a rsponse to pain, etc.

2 - An individual with multiple personalities (real or fictional) in which each personality has it's own skills and knowledge (real and useable): a pulp era type private detective, a "Hawkeye" style MASH surgeon, a Rambo type soldier, etc.  Maybe some kind of mindreader gone mad.

3 - The ability to store and redirect kinetic energy.  In a fight he absorbes the force of his opponent's blows and redirects it in one punch.  Imagine soaking the force of a car crash and later directing it on a door, wall or person.

#9 2007-11-28 18:42:26

Tralist
Inebriated

A few ideas from running adventure games:

1. An incredible pilot/ driver (i.e. can push a vehicle absolutely to it's limits and sometimes beyond, but just normal when not behind the wheel)

2. very minor power, but being able to know distances, weights, and basic dimensions at a glance.

3. Dead eye... perfect shot with any type weapon, or maybe a specific weapon.

For other ideas, you might try to find a copy of the Adventure roleplaying game.

"Good luck, Captain. I think you are about to go where everyone has gone before."
Commander Susan Ivanova, Voices of Authority

#10 2007-11-28 23:59:10

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

wow i knew this was the place to ask up Veritas
#1 um can you explain that better?
#2 is Nicky from heroes (or at least what the theory on her goes atm)
#3 is Bishop

Tralist
all good

I acctually came up w a 4th power on my own the ablity to create "Eyes" that can link to electronic recording devices (basicly he can turn anything into a bug)
Keep em coming I'm starting the list tonight (if you have ideas what jobs would be easer w said powe let me know that too)

#11 2007-11-29 00:48:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Let me take a crack at explaining the idea, as I think he meant it.  Imagine someone who, in essence, "becomes" the machine when they are driving or piloting.  They know exactly what the limits of the vehicle are at any given moment, they know exactly how to make it perform, to do what they want it to.  They know whether any particular maneuver is possible at any given moment, and how to make that maneuver happen.

It could be rephrased as an intuitive understanding of the actual performance attributes of any moving vehicle, to the point that you become the very best person to operate it in the world.

Is that kinda what you meant, Tralist?  If not... oops.  3dbig_smile

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#12 2007-11-29 02:40:20

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I don't know if that's what he meant or not, Net. But DAMN, that sounds KEWL!!!!!!!!!

3dsmile

#13 2007-11-29 04:16:57

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Oh like sort of like cougars radical good speed from sCRYed

#14 2007-11-29 09:34:58

Veritas
Wasted
Website

1 - Timespot under certain conditions: only while holding his breath, or with a significant amount of adrenaline in his bloodstream, or as a rsponse to pain, etc.

The power to temporarily stop time (very powerful and useful) but only under certain conditions: can only stop time for as long as he can hold his breath; as an automatic defense mecanism in response to pain or fear (little to no control).

Hope this explains it better.

#15 2007-11-29 13:26:27

Tralist
Inebriated

Net Wolf got the explanation exactly. A person with the "wheelman" ability essentially makes the machine an extension of themselves. The lengths to which they can push the vehicle are beyond what the vehicle was designed for, but still limited to the actual physical limits of the vehicle. Also, it only applies when they are physically in control of the vehicle though, so being on foot and away from the vehicle nullifies this power. Imagine a pilot who can make a C-121 easily do a barrel roll or land the large plane on the deck of an aircraft carrier (both are possible), but he can't make the plane take off from the deck of the aircraft carrier. It just isn't long enough to get the plane up. The plane limits his ability. If you can find this book,  http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?i … 88469571-1 , it has a lot of wonderful refrences for powers and power levels. They are divided into Psionic, Physical, and Powers that aren't showy, they just seem like a matter of luck. I picked up my copy at a half priced books for $10.

"Good luck, Captain. I think you are about to go where everyone has gone before."

#16 2007-11-29 18:38:51

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

veritas: thx thats much clearer

Tralist: so the "pilot can treat any vehicle as part of himself...I can use that maybe not for this art of the story but I coulds see somone w that power clearing for superhero status codename: Wheelman

and thx for the tip on the book i bet I'm not the only one going to try to find it now

#17 2007-11-29 19:40:31

Tralist
Inebriated

It was a really solid little game for people who like that sort of thing, and the ideas in it were just a rough guideline with a grading system for the powers. My favorite was Death Defiance. The charachter always manages to get out of the most impossible situations, usually through blind dumb luck.

#18 2007-11-29 20:53:11

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

sounds like the mutant Domino

#19 2007-11-29 21:34:28

Veritas
Wasted
Website

- "pilot can treat any vehicle as part of himself..."

Imagine an agent driving a car with no hands while shooting at a pursing vehicle.  Could be very cool.

- "The charachter always manages to get out of the most impossible situations, usually through blind dumb luck."

There is an incarnation of "Action Man" which has the power to instantly and subconsciously calculate the odds of certain actions allowing him to perform the most amazing and seemingly lucky stunts.

- Here's a new one: the ability to see the past through refective surfaces.

No omniscent all-seeing mirrors, the refective objects (glass, metal, etc.) had to have been there during the event and they are seen through it's point of view.  If a spoon was on the floor, that's where the POV will be from.

#20 2007-11-30 01:29:20

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

yea it was called the AMP Factor his brain could instantly break everything around him to the raw math an instantly calculate the best was to accomplish his goal

but the member of X force named domino could passively effect the odds in her favor (sort of the opposite of black cats power)

#21 2007-11-30 02:05:21

monbade
Inebriated

One of my villens has the power to cause things to go flying or punch holes in solid objects, but only if he tosses something. Had him throw the remote control to the tv and he blew a 3 foot hole in the brick wall :>

mon

#22 2007-11-30 04:35:28

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Kinetic boost

#23 2007-11-30 20:18:56

Khellendros
Inebriated

Another fun one is the ability to be 100% aware of your surroundings. If you are familiar with the White Wolf game Mage the Ascension, it would be like having correspondence one constantly in effect. If you aren't familiar with it, just think of it as real time full spatial knowledge. It could also be considered advanced clairvoyance in a minor sphere. 

Khellendros

#24 2007-11-30 20:58:06

monbade
Inebriated

I have one psion who heated metal so high that it vaporised in a building. The rebar and all support beams. Yes the building came down.

Another has the ablity to dimensional gate and warp gate. Dimensional is used as line of sight, while warpgate is to a place he has been. Something like teleportation without error from AD&D.

mon

#25 2007-11-30 22:14:10

Veritas
Wasted
Website

--BAMPF--

Sounds like Nightcrawler.  I always liked him.

I also think a Spiderman villian named Spot could open dimensional/warp gates.

- One fact I think you should keep in mind: caracters with powers that grow or change are cool.

For instance, take Iceman: inicialy a comic relief snowman lookalike is now a buff and dangerous master of ice.

Board footer