•  » General Chat
  •  » A hypothetical question concerning Police reactions to "weird stuff"

#51 2007-12-06 04:32:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: A hypothetical question concerning Police reactions to "weird stuff"

Yeah, we'd eat like kings.

Human beings killed off lots of large critters a long time ago.  We are not helpless, and dinosaurs are not undefeatable monsters.  Chances are they would start to act... just like all the other predators alive today:  "Stay away from the humans."

Oh, btw:  Machine guns aren't affected by EMP.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#52 2007-12-06 04:41:21

monbade
Inebriated

true but communications are :>

private, "Hey sarge any word from baker platoon?"
Sargent, "Do i look like a radio?"
Private, "No Sarge, but was hoping you would have heard something"
Sargent, "No i havent and you just voluntiered to fill in the slit trench so get going."
Private looks out at the woods, "Out there?"
Sargent "Move it private the captain wants to be on the road in an hour and we have a long ass march ahead of us."

twenty minutes later a loud scream is heard.
Mon

Last edited by monbade (2007-12-06 04:42:09)

#53 2007-12-06 05:02:30

Corvis
Inebriated

Hello, all

I don't know, monbade.  I sort of suspect that if the entire world was re-seeded with dinosaurs, communication of the fact wouldn't be that necessary.  I mean, surely everyone would notice some of the larger sorts pretty quick.  As to Baker platoon, a platoon of modern infantry against any plausible dinosaur attack?  My money would be on Baker platoon and it's assault rifles, grenades, light anti-tank weapons and general purpose machine guns.

#54 2007-12-06 05:06:08

monbade
Inebriated

not always, all you hear is thud thud thud thud and your looking around trying to figure it out and a stampeade of dinos come out of the trees followed by a pair of T-Rexes, first you have to evade the stampede and then the crunch and munch.

also i was saying right at the begining, ya eventually we would be used to them but at first? I put my money on the big guys
:>

#55 2007-12-06 08:52:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Then you 1) have a pretty low opinion of humans, and 2) have an overinflated opinion of dinosaurs, which were, at their best, about as intelligent as an ostrich.  Most were significantly dumber than that.

Animals do not attack that which is unfamiliar, unless they have no other options.  We are not automatically food to them, until they realize, probably through accident, that we make good prey.  Humans, on the other hand, are pretty good at recognizing danger right off.

And I'm fairly sure that any hypothetical BRAVO COMPANY  (Baker is a POLICE term, not a military one!) would hear thuds, start hiding behind trees, and would be shooting before the rexes even broke through the trees.  If they're in a forest, they are either on patrol (ie, deployed to a war zone), or on maneuvers (ie, a training mission where contact is expected).  Either way, they will be on alert.

No, my bet will be on the humans.  We have a long history of wiping out animals without much trouble.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#56 2007-12-06 19:45:23

Corvis
Inebriated

You know, this reminds me of a really horrible movie I saw part of once.  It was called "Raptor Island".  The premise, if I recall correctly, was that an elite anti-terrorist unit was pursuing a group of terrorists.  Through some unlikely and convoluted series of events, the transportation for both groups is destroyed and they are forced to head for an "uncharted" island. 

Now, once the Delta Force ripoffs are ashore, they set off in search of the terrorists, who of course got to shore ahead of them.  They split up like standard movie idiots and soon, one of their number encounters a pair of "Raptors".  These, of course look a lot like Speilbergoraptors, native to fictional islands from a different movie. 

Now, comes the part I'm wondering about.  The DFR loser screams in panic as the "raptors" just stand there and squawk a few times.  He empties his rifle in the general direction of one of the creatures.  While I strongly doubt an actual Delta Force unit would ever split up like a gang of horror movie morons, and I am certain that an M-16 could kill an actual raptor, especially if even a quarter of those bullets hit, is there really any realistic chance that seeing dinosaurs could panic elite troops?  Regular army?  National guard?  I don't doubt that they would be surprised, but panic?  Any thoughts?  Input from folks with military experience would be especially welcome. 

Thank you

#57 2007-12-06 19:57:19

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Having served in the Army....

YES! They would panic! Yes, they would scream!

What happens after that depends on the group and their commander.

If it's a Delta Force/Spec op's team, no, none of them are going to run. They are going to lay down so much freaking suppression fire, while the captain or lieutenant finds them someplace to hunt cover. Then they would fall back to a more defensible position.

If it was just regular everyday infantry squad, depending on who's in command and what type of people he's got, they may react just like the Special operators would, or they may split up and run screaming into the night, totally panicked.

If you've got a good sergeant or officer, then you would probably see them hang together, cover each others butts and do okay. Maybe not do as well as the special operators, but depending on how well they can "Shoot, move and communicate" and how well they can "Improvise, overcome and adapt," both motto's pushed on soldiers, they would probably survive and come out of it okay. IF they have a good commander.

#58 2007-12-07 01:55:29

Corvis
Inebriated

Oh?  I thought that military training would help overcome that natural panic reaction.  Well, any day one learns something is a good day 3dbig_smile.  Do you think part of the reason for the panic would be the surprise and shock of meeting dinosaurs for the first time?  Would the tendency to panic go down as the surprise wore off and they had additional encounters with the scary beasties?  Assuming that the dinos don't quickly learn to run for the proverbial hills after a few samples of modern military firepower?

#59 2007-12-07 02:00:32

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Military training DOES NOT help you overcome panic.

They just teach you not to RUN AWAY because you're panicked. FEAR isn't necessarily a bad thing. Keeps you on your toes, let's you know you need to do something, run, fight, shoot whatever. With the military, they just ingrain into a person that when faced with the enemy, you stand and fight..... Otherwise, some sergeant shoots you in the head. 3dsmile

#60 2007-12-07 02:21:39

Corvis
Inebriated

Ah.  Well, I reckon I'd rather stand and shoot at the dinosaurs then face an angry sergeant 3dbig_smile

#61 2007-12-07 03:18:39

siath
Wasted

Raptors, I would like to think, were one of the smartest pack dinos of their time. I base this purely on the fact that I think they're cool dinos 3dsmile. We can never know how a never before seen animal acted or how intelligent they were. It doesn't matter how big their brain was, we as humans us what 5% - 10% and we're pretty intelligent. So to conclude an animal that we have never seen before were dumb...

For all we know T-Rex could have been a smart hunter. The only thing we truely know is that the front 'arms' weren't used for hunting and they had a lot of teeth. Some science people think they were scavengers based on this fact, but truely who knows?

As far as the military company is concerned, if they're not Spec forces, then most likely a few would run a few would freeze and a few would shoot and then the ones still around frozen would jump into action. It would be an unusual event and nothing could prepare you for it, it would be like little green men suddenly beaming into the center of them. Some of those men are going to snap and run...

Siath

Anyway, just my two cents.

#62 2007-12-07 04:48:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

1)  Dromaeosaurs ("raptors") were, in fact, some of the smartest dinosaurs.  Intelligence can be estimated based on brain size versus body size,  BUT it has to be taken into account that, unlike modern birds (and mammals), dinosaur brains were not folded upon themselves, reducing the surface area of the brain significantly, and thus reducing the possibility of high intelligence.

2) The "Humans use 10% of their brains" is a myth.  In fact, almost all of our brain is "accounted for" in its function.

3) T. rex was a hunter, and Jack Horner is a moron.  The ONLY WAY to make T. rex a scavenger is if he had the same metabolic rate as a crocodile.  Mind you, crocs are cold-blooded, and T. rex wasn't, and given that T. rex was more birdlike than croc-like, I would expect him to have more of a birdlike metabolism than a croc metabolism.  An animal of 3 - 5 tons with that metabolic rate could not live on carrion alone.  As to its front arms... the secretary bird doesn't use ITS arms, either.  Nor do any of the other predatory birds.

4) There is actually quite a lot you can learn through what I guess you would call "forensic" paleontology... really researching the animal remains and doing correlations.  Unless you assume that they were radically different from both their ancestors AND their descendants, correlation is possible.

I'm not sure I agree that panic (not fear) cannot be trained out of a person, but I won't argue the point since I have unfortunately never served in the military.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#63 2007-12-07 06:17:06

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I heard somewhere, not long after "Jurassic Park" came out, that, if the dinosaurs had remained at the top of the food chain for a couple million more years, that it would have been the raptors who would have become the dominant species, maybe even evolving into something with human-like intelligence, because of their comparatively high intelligence and also, probably, due to their smaller size. The ecosystem probably could not, then or now, support an animal the size of a T-Rex as a dominant species.

#64 2007-12-07 06:49:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Possible.  But since I don't believe in the Big Rock Candy Mountain Fell On Them theory, I don't believe they had any chance of survival to the present.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#65 2007-12-07 14:28:42

monbade
Inebriated

true, and i was thinking a guard unit, they would probebly be the first to deploy in the US. If they could get word to them to deploy. Otherwise it would be reg army moving out of their bases to the major cities. Or i assume they would. Still would be a kewl story :>

but i have like 20+ stories going at the momment

mon

#66 2008-03-07 03:28:12

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Corvis wrote:

Hello, all

snipped...

Example One. 

A farm family stops answering the phone and fails to send their children to school one day.  Eventually, a concerned family friend or perhaps a school administrator asks the police to check on the family.  One patrol car is dispatched. 

The officer finds obvious signs of carnage around the farmhouse when he or she arrives.  The family cow is dead and much of its flesh appears to be missing, the chicken coop is busted in and there is no sign of the birds, what appears to be the remains of a human body is lying near the smashed in door of the farmhouse and there are odd, three toed footprints visible from the patrol car window.

Greetings

Saw an interesting article that might (sorta kinda) apply to this story idea:

Camera spots wolverine in Sierra Nevada

"...A graduate student at Oregon State University, Katie Moriarty, got a picture of a wolverine recently on a motion-and-heat-detecting digital camera set up between Truckee and Sierraville, in the northern part of the mountain range...."

The story was interesting for a couple reasons:

The picture was snapped by an 'unmanned' automatic IR camera that was hidden in the woods along a game trail and the picture showed an animal previously thought to be extinct in that locality.

Much like the cougar pic snapped by same sort of camera in Northern MN...

No telling whats out there in the deep woods!

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#67 2008-03-07 13:52:09

CSquared
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

2) The "Humans use 10% of their brains" is a myth.  In fact, almost all of our brain is "accounted for" in its function.

Net Wolf

Late post is late - but, not quite a myth.  We only use an average of 10% at a time.  Which is most likely what you meant, but I'm a picky bitch. XD

CSquared

#68 2008-03-07 20:28:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No, it's not.  The statement has always been made to imply that 90% of our brain had a use that we had "no idea" about, or that it was just waiting around until we evolved a use for it.  This claim has been made to support the notions of ESP, psionic powers, and other supernormal mental powers.  In other words, they are saying, "Since we have no clue what 90% of our brain does, it COULD allow us to do <insert supernormal power claim here>".  The fact is, the numbers are much closer to being the opposite: we are quite clear on what almost 100% of the brain does.

And I'd like a source for the "we only use 10% at a time" theory, too.  Given that I am, at any given time, seeing, smelling, tasting, touching, thinking, remembering, AND oh yeah, still breathing and living... I'm doing all the time most of the things that my brain does...  Maybe not at peak effort, but I'd think 10% was kind of a lowball figure...

Eric

----
Facebook page

#69 2008-03-08 23:14:52

CSquared
Wasted

OK, yeah - we use the whole thing.  At around 10% capacity at any one time.  The only time the whole thing is used at full capacity is during a psychotic episode.  Our psyches can't handle using the entire brain at once in that way, and shut down.

I worded myself badly.  "10% at a time" was meant to mean "10% of full capacity".  And yes, we can go higher than 10%, but not too high.

CSquared

#70 2008-03-09 08:55:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

There's no scientific basis even for the "10% at a time" theory.  The problem is that there's no real understanding of "100%" of the brain's ability.

CAT scans are no real help, either, because they color their image based on a "baseline" result.  That is, how active is your brain while you're not doing anything at all?  But here's the problem with THAT thinking: You're NEVER not doing ANYTHING at all!  So taking any real measure of the brain's percentage of activity is... just a guess.

I find it almost impossible to believe that the brain would be so inefficient as to have 90% of itself completely dormant at one time.  I just can't think that that is evolutionarily effective.

Just my $1.50.  (Inflation...)

----
Facebook page

#71 2008-03-09 16:50:03

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Eric Storm wrote:

I find it almost impossible to believe that the brain would be so inefficient as to have 90% of itself completely dormant at one time.  I just can't think that that is evolutionarily effective

Greetings

Still hunting perhaps, sitting in the tree or blind waiting for the wooly mammoth to walk by - domancy be good in that case and maybe in a long crawling stalk ...

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#72 2008-03-09 21:24:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Except that under THOSE circumstances are when your brain is at its most active.  Senses are heightened, alert for the sound of your prey (or a predator stalking YOU...), mind alert, evaluating everything around you...

I just don't buy it.

----
Facebook page

#73 2008-03-10 05:22:34

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Eric Storm wrote:

Except that under THOSE circumstances are when your brain is at its most active.  Senses are heightened, alert for the sound of your prey (or a predator stalking YOU...), mind alert, evaluating everything around you...

I just don't buy it.

Greetings

I'm not talking about the 10% thing I don't know enough about 'that' issue to have an opinion about how much real estate my brain uses.   

But in a tree stand as you sit waiting, its an odd state of hyper-awareness, you can't be 'active' every second its too exhausting, too much flight or fight. 

You sit trying to be "werry werry quiet" almost zen -- you go into 'red alert' when a twig snaps or a branch moves or something triggers your attention. 

Then it turns out to be a squirrel running in the dead leaves under your tree stand sounding like a stampeding elephant and after you recognize it you begin to order your breathing and try to relax and not so incidently dump a whole shitload of wasted adrenaline....

At red alert I agree with 110% engaged but at rest between those triggers much less...

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

• Index
  •  » General Chat
  •  » A hypothetical question concerning Police reactions to "weird stuff"

Board footer