•  » General Chat
  •  » A hypothetical question concerning Police reactions to "weird stuff"

#26 2007-11-25 04:54:00

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Re: A hypothetical question concerning Police reactions to "weird stuff"

Net Wolf wrote:

Those people ARE STILL COPS.

And the people who do what you suggest aren't even CLOSE to being good cops. 
Net Wolf

Yes and there also cops who are in the public eye, are cops via an election or appointment, Know if they try to play hardball and stick to "It was a WereWolf" as a theory will get sacrificed to the press/public as a crackpot

Its hard to be a good cop when you could lose your job following Sherlock Holmes' Law - After eliminating the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, is the truth

No one wants to believe in the fantastical anymore because the masses want to feel same in there little lives If some one Proved Indisputably the existence of monsters aliens and ghosts the public would wig the FUCK out.

And don't tell me they wouldn't. Remember War of the Worlds

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#27 2007-11-25 10:23:14

Corvis
Inebriated

Hello, all

I guess I should have been online sooner.  While I have to agree from local experience that police can play politics (like a sheriff who fired a deputy for having the gall to dare run against him in the upcoming election), they can be huge crooks (Like the entire sheriff's department of Henry County who were arrested en masse by the State Police last year for crimes ranging from operating brothels to selling narcotics), my hypothetical question involved competent police.  Perhaps I should have also said basically honest police? 

I have to say that I hope we could count on the police to admit that an animal was responsible for the attack in example one.  I mean, animal attacks are not unheard of, even in urban areas.  I think that the public warning to be on the lookout for unfamiliar animals and to call the police in the event that one is heard on your property at night makes sense.  Granted, most people will probably assume "Cougar" or "Bear" or even "Big Mean Dog" when they hear the warning, but if one is alert for one of those, won't they hopefully notice ANY noise in the woods that could be a dangerous animal?  I don't see how issuing such a warning would make the police look foolish, and it could save lives. 

As to the IR triggered cameras... wow, I never thought of that.  But then, I'm no hunter and my knowledge of hunting goes back to my childhood, you know, the era of flintlocks.  Now, the police might not rush to show footage of a dinosaur-like creature, or pack of dinosaur-like creatures to the media, but one of the technologically savy hunters might.  Or at least I'd think so. 

Ok now on the subject of the dead person from example two.  I should have specified that his or her injuries were obviously fatal.  Not quite so bad as being beheaded, but nonetheless it should be obvious that the person is very dead, a crushed torso, an open wound into what's left of the chest cavity giving a good view of some of the major organs, and so on. 

The person then sneaks away before the autopsy can be performed.  If spotted sneaking out, it would be obvious that said person's injuries had some how totally healed.  The victim would also have left his or her fingerprints on the doorknob and probably on the storage drawer he or she climbed out of. 

Waking up during one's autopsy would have to suck.  I imagine the assumed deceased would rapidly become the deceased in fact, considering what little I know about autopsy technique.

#28 2007-11-25 15:32:10

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Corvis wrote:

Hello, all

As to the IR triggered cameras... wow, I never thought of that.  But then, I'm no hunter and my knowledge of hunting goes back to my childhood, you know, the era of flintlocks.  Now, the police might not rush to show footage of a dinosaur-like creature, or pack of dinosaur-like creatures to the media, but one of the technologically savy hunters might.  Or at least I'd think so.

Greetings

Try Cabela, serious gun hunting porm...

Scouting Game Camera

Like I said after the Bloodhounds, helicopters and hunting parties go out searching for the killer, the animal story going to be in play "Big Time" 

I'd also assume the local University and/or Science Museum (or vet) gets a call when the evidence exceeds the knowledge of investigators -- like that strange animal track.

By the time this played out the Governor be calling out the National Guard to join the hunt...

...Bradleys and Humvees and Abrams, oh my!!!

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#29 2007-11-25 19:47:08

Imagineer
Wasted

Workload pressures might have more to do with the outcome than anything. The evidence only goes so far, and if Occam's Razor is feeling a little dull as it cuts into the evidence, the case may just go unsolved... at least until the killer strikes again.

Real cops, even good cops, have to let things go and move on to serving the greatest overall good, which includes other cases and other responsibilities.

#30 2007-11-25 20:29:33

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Greetings

"Close Encounters of the Third Kind" was on TCM last night, amazing how well its held up but it raises a suggestion for this narrative.  François Truffaut played a French scientific type who was at the heart of the action as well as remaining outside acting as an observer for us.

Theres something to be said for the story being told by such a voice ie Zoology Prof, Vet, professional hunter, etc someone not "too" inside the investigation but close enough to be our ummm eyes.

Just a thought 3dwink

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#31 2007-11-25 21:30:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Imagineer:

What you say would be true, if this wasn't a rural community.  Murders are quite rare in farm country, and the police would probably bend over backwards to figure this one out.  And if they did believe it to be an animal... well, that would probably be handled by a hunting party.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#32 2007-11-25 22:33:26

Corvis
Inebriated

Hello, all. 

Hmm... The National Guard?  The Virginia National Guard doesn't have any M1 tanks, since they are light infantry, but I'm not sure how helpful a M1 would be in hunting a dangerous animal, unless it was Godzilla.  I guess they could send infantry to hunt for the dinosaur-like animals.  Somehow, regardless of what the Jurassic Park movies might say, I don't see a pack of raptor-type dinosaurs fairing too well against organized hunting parties, National Guard or no National Guard.   If the didn't fear humans, I'd think that they'd end up dead even quicker.  Only a fool brings a foot claw to a gunfight 3dbig_smile

#33 2007-11-26 00:54:37

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Corvis wrote:

Hello, all. 
I'm not sure how helpful a M1 would be in hunting a dangerous animal, unless it was Godzilla.

Greetings

Abrams or Bradley be lovely place to sit while your average raptor scratched at the hull trying to get in...

Think mobile pillbox! Or perhaps mobile amor protected hunting blind. 

I'd assume NG air wings be big presence in operation with helicopters, scout planes and maybe even Predators being deployed. They'd using as a training mission if nothing else.  On the ground after they all got a look at the wounds inflicted be some NG "tracks"  deployed.  MN has a company of MP and helicopters that would get the first call -- after that depend on the conditions or even how high strung Governor is about slaughtered Farm Families 3dwink

I dunno how any individual raptor fares against my rifle but a pack might run me out of bullets and make a lunch.  Even me and some decent shooting friends.  Its not a given that superior tech always wins!  Sheer brute force of a mass attack of bodies with fang and claw will overwhelm even good shooters

An Abrams with a hard shooting m-deuce and a bunch of flechette cannon rounds be a good SAFE place to be if you encounter hungry pack of Utahrapters

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

#34 2007-11-26 11:54:27

Corvis
Inebriated

Hello, all

Okay, I can see how being inside a tank or an IFV would make dinosaur attacks utterly futile.  This is a little off subject, since my question was about how the authorites, in the form of a competent police force, would respond, not all the creatures would respond to that response, however, here are some points that have occured to me.  If I made a logic error, please don't hesitate to let me know. 

1. While the raptor-like animals in example one have little or no fear of humans, hence the farmhouse attack, wouldn't something as unusual, fast, powerful and huge as an IVF or MBT be another matter?  Wouldn't any reasonably smart predator avoid the big armored things that smell of petroleum products and smash saplings as they roar across the landscape? 

2. The only creatures that I know of to use wave attacks to overcome an enemy are social insects, like ants and bees, and humans.  Most social animals can't afford to have such a cavalier attitude as "We'll throw bodies at them until they run out of bullets".  I would think that a more likely attack pattern would be closer to what modern social predators use, which seem to be variations of ambush and pick off the straggler.  In the case of obviously dangerous targets, like elephants, they usually don't attack at all. 

3. The helicopters and scout planes sound like a great idea.  Even in rural areas, it's hard to to not look up and see at least one aircraft in a day.  So, the raptor-like animals would probably have become accustomed to aircraft and might not realize that they posed a threat until it was too late.

#35 2007-11-26 15:51:48

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Corvis wrote:

Hello, all

1. While the raptor-like animals in example one have little or no fear of humans, hence the farmhouse attack, wouldn't something as unusual, fast, powerful and huge as an IVF or MBT be another matter?  Wouldn't any reasonably smart predator avoid the big armored things that smell of petroleum products and smash saplings as they roar across the landscape?

Animals are weirdly curioous and not wired like you and me, I had a deer walk up to observe me as I (noisily) pounded nails in a tree to install a tree stand for hunting umm deer!   Plus given tractoirs and trucks and all the vehicles that surround a farm, oil and gas and even human smell is not an unknown to your raptors.  I',m thinking birdlike responses with flocking, etc

Plus if you are assuming your predator biggest around.  If T-rex was along they might fear a big unknown mass of "something" but if they are biggest in the "hood" they see a big thing and ignore it or with man smell try to eat it!

Did the original attack come about as the raptors attacked the milk herd and the farmers shot into the "flock" trying to drive them off and instead got their attention? 

2. The only creatures that I know of to use wave attacks to overcome an enemy are social insects, like ants and bees, and humans.

And birds!  So your raptors might act independently but I'm thinking bird like ie flocking with a wave like attack.  Like a flock of geese driving off a dog!  A drake and his hens chased me around a farm yard when I was little if that bastard had been my size and bigger claws I'd have been toast... 

3. The helicopters and scout planes sound like a great idea.  Even in rural areas, it's hard to to not look up and see at least one aircraft in a day.  So, the raptor-like animals would probably have become accustomed to aircraft and might not realize that they posed a threat until it was too late.

And vehicles!  Amazing how quickly socialized wild animals become to cars and trucks.  Why so many deer etc die on the highway, don't recognize and don't fear them espeically at night.  Even when they are hip to fearing humans, the cars don't seem human.  Drive into a herd they graze, step out they bolt!

If they have no attackers from the sky ie are you building big flying dinos?  If not they won't look up.   I'd also ponder tree stands and camo blinds, will they look up in trees?  Hell even humans have to be trained to look for  above grade attacks

That would be my take, they would be wild but farms enroaching on wilderness would give them a lot of experience with man I'm guessing they would come away with little fear, sorta like a grizzly bear that eats garbage and the occaisonal person....

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

#36 2007-11-26 21:31:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

1. Birds attack in waves, yes, but they do not sacrifice themselves as your scenario suggested.  That is, they do not "throw bodies at the problem".  They attack, then RETREAT, to let someone else attack.  Your original scenario had the raptors attacking endlessly despite multiple repeated deaths.  This is unlikely behavior for any vertebrate species.

2. There is no indication that theropods "flocked".  In fact, the term that is almost universally used for their groups is "pack".  While there is no clear indication of behavior, I would suggest that "flocking" is a very poor hunting technique - it would pretty much scare off your prey before you ever got there (flocks are NOISY...), and it is too chaotic to produce reliable results.  Also, what you call "flocking", normally called "mobbing behavior", is an anti-predator technique, not designed for hunting prey at all.  It is also generally used to protect nesting sites and offspring.  Even in modern mobbing behavior, it is NOT common for the birds to be harmed (though it is a risk).  So, unless you just happen to catch them in the presence of their young, they are unlikely to keep charging in the fashion you suggest.  They are much more likely just to leave.

3. Even utahraptor, the largest of the dromaeasaurids, would be felled with a single shot. (in the right place, of course... shooting him in the foot ain't gonna kill him, obviously)  A hunting party of several dozen men is not likely to be outnumbered, and certainly is not "outgunned", so to speak.

4. I doubt that our dino would BE the biggest predator, though it depends how you define "biggest".  Most animals define size based on vertical height alone - hence one of the main reasons bears rear up on their hind legs to scare the bejeezus out of things.  For height, a standing bear is bigger than a utahraptor.  Also, taking in our scenario, the animal (or animals) attacked chickens... an unlikely target for an animal as large as 1500-pound utahraptor unless he was starving... but a much better meal for 160-pound deinonychus, a much smaller dinosaur that would still be dangerous to humans, or perhaps 130-pound troodon, which is even smaller than deinonychus, but more intelligent and still dangerous to humans.

5. What predator do you know of that turns TOWARD loud noises?  Even wolves get run off by gunshots.  Your scenario that, "The farmer shot at them, thus becoming dinner" is rather insane.  Predators go for the WEAKEST animal.  Something that has a big honkin' noise-making stick is almost certainly not going to be considered the weakest animal.

I would humbly suggest that your hunting party has absolutely nothing to fear, except not finding their target.  These are not tigers; they don't have the intellect to pull off a Jurassic-Puke-style raptor hunting party.  They would probably see such a group and (wisely) slip away unseen.  Predator does not equal unstoppable killing machine, nor does it equal mindless killing machine.  Predators kill when a) they're cornered, or b) the threat-to-hunger ratio is low enough.  (That is, the hungrier they are, the more threat they're willing to put up with.  If they're not hungry at all, they're not going to kill for food.)  If this animal has just eaten a cow, he's probably not all that hungry, and isn't even going to want to take on armed humans making all sorts of noise in the forest.

Oh, and has anyone considered the fact that PETA and the Sierra Club would instantly be up in arms about you sending the National Guard, of all things, after an animal?  (Hey, you guys were the ones to bring politics into this...)

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#37 2007-11-26 22:31:29

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

LOL

I can see it now. PETA up in arms to save a man-eating Dinosaur that isn't supposed to exist.

Next thing you know, PETA will be screaming that they should stop hunting Nessie in Loch Ness because the side-scan sonar might upset Nessie's inner ear.

LOL

#38 2007-11-26 22:42:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Don't give them any ideas!!!

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#39 2007-11-26 23:20:42

Corvis
Inebriated

LOL!  Poor Nessie!  Assuming Nessie, as such exists, which seems really unlikely. 

As to the farmer, I was thinking he went out to investagate, and was the victim of bad timing, surprising on of the pack near the door and getting killed before he could get a shot off.  Considering the insane things PETA has done in the past, crusading for a pack of man-eating dinosaurs wouldn't be beyond them, I'd think.

#40 2007-11-27 01:35:41

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

you know after thinking about it the polices first responce to an attack that apears to be an animal (even if the evedence seems odd) would be to call animal control

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#41 2007-11-27 05:17:11

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Neitherspace wrote:

you know after thinking about it the polices first responce to an attack that apears to be an animal (even if the evedence seems odd) would be to call animal control

Greetings

That raises an interesting question:

Wouldn't the first victims be ANIMALS? 

Members of isolated grazing herds of sheep or cattle?  An excalating pattern of kills starting well away from farmhouses and moving closer?

First responders would be Large Animal Vet, Animal Control Officer, and Game Warden evaluating a dead cow in the middle of a meadow and "they'd" find the masive wounds, badly chewed carcasses and tracks of a large previously unknown predator animal.

Then in response to "those" warnings, the farmers move their herds close in to their homesteads and your human slaughter happens as you posot.  I'd imagine some "buck fever" and lots of misses or even superficial wounding when confronted by a real life nightmare...

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

#42 2007-11-27 05:30:00

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Net Wolf wrote:

3. Even utahraptor, the largest of the dromaeasaurids, would be felled with a single shot. (in the right place, of course... shooting him in the foot ain't gonna kill him, obviously)  A hunting party of several dozen men is not likely to be outnumbered, and certainly is not "outgunned", so to speak.

A hunting party of a dozen is an oxymoron unless your intent is to act as beaters to others in tree stands.  Brain as big as a walnut, and odd layout of organs NOPE One Shot Kills are not a given! 

Wound it and its does what?  We got no track record because nobody gut shot one before 3dsad   Nope a chumps game unless you're good and lucky and in a treee be a good choice

Oh, and has anyone considered the fact that PETA and the Sierra Club would instantly be up in arms about you sending the National Guard, of all things, after an animal?  (Hey, you guys were the ones to bring politics into this...)Net Wolf

You think the GOV intent on the FARM vote by protecting farmer family from an unknown killer danger gonna be giving a fuck about PETA, when all he has to do is send in some NG to show umm macho leadership 3dwink

Nope the GOV gonna send it all!

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

#43 2007-11-27 05:41:24

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

sorry what i meant was: an incident who perpetrator appears to be an animal

But yea i think there would be wild animal victims before there would be human ones even a dino would know tht a deer is easyer prey than a human

#44 2007-11-27 06:23:08

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Net Wolf wrote:

1. Birds attack in waves, yes, but they do not sacrifice themselves as your scenario suggested.  That is, they do not "throw bodies at the problem".  They attack, then RETREAT, to let someone else attack.  Your original scenario had the raptors attacking endlessly despite multiple repeated deaths.  This is unlikely behavior for any vertebrate species.
Net Wolf

Greetings

Sharks do it all the time!  Feeding frenzy triggered by scent/pheromones. 

Bees guarding a hive have their stinging attacks intensified by a scent released into the air as the poison sac jerks from the guard bees body.  Each stinger stuck to the target then adds to the ambient scent increasing the attacks until the intruder leaves the hive area or dies...

It seems not a huge stretch that scent might well trigger feeding frenzy in the raptor. Raptors might scent blood as the shark does and react accordingly

Thus killing a raptor increases the attacks intensity not decreases.  We have not established that a raptor is so fussy as to pass on a meal of raptor meat...

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

#45 2007-11-27 07:07:56

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

yea but raptors are hunters not trash compactors made of meat (really I've seen the stomach contents of a shark caught off the coast of NJ)

#46 2007-11-27 10:25:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Warlord... just curious, but why is the grammatical structure of your second-to-last post so far removed from what your normal grammar is, and in fact, what your last post shows?

I've given up trying to convince you that dinosaurs were animals, and not Hollywood monsters, so I'm bowing out of this discussion.  And please, do not read my story, Where the Maiasaurs Roam.  I wouldn't want you to be disappointed at the amazingly animal-like behaviors of my dinosaurs.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#47 2007-11-28 00:18:51

triton
Inebriated

Hi

In the example 2 I don't think the person who got hit broke any laws did he or she?  If he or she didn't break any laws I don't guess the police would try too hard to find him or her.  Maybe I'm missing something.

#48 2007-11-28 03:26:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

They would be obliged to try to find him or her in order to make sure they were okay.  It's not a matter of them being under suspicion, but rather as a matter of his or her safety and welfare.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#49 2007-12-06 03:01:20

triton
Inebriated

Thanks Net Wolf.  I guess I didn't think of that.  3dsmile

#50 2007-12-06 03:52:28

monbade
Inebriated

hehe i thought of an idea, ancient alian craft seeded the world with dinos, 10 billion years ago as an experimet. they come back find thie experiment wiped out and restart it landing hundreds of thousands of dinosaurse in the oceans and on the lands. they dont care about humans because we are destroyingthe world and before they leave they detonate an emp burst in orbit destroying all modern eletronics (or not, they just dump them to see what happens)

can you saw feast :>

mon

• Index
  •  » General Chat
  •  » A hypothetical question concerning Police reactions to "weird stuff"

Board footer