The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-13 05:43:55

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Flash Banner

I hope this is the right place to be putting this.  I couldn't think of a better place to put it, so oh well.  Maybe it's been there for forever and I just haven't been paying attention because I normally have flash selectively enabled on all the websites I visit to cut down on some of the more annoying things that exist.  But I think it's new... or relatively so.  I'm talking about the flash Mystic Wolf Pub banner on the front page.  I think it's really cool, to be honest.  I just watched it a few times and had one little question... is there a reason why the spotlight goes right to left so you have to put the site name together backwards in your head?  It isn't Chinese, after all.  Maybe the spotlight only goes in one direction, I don't know.  It just seemed... odd and it bothered me.  That's all.  Silly quibble.  Ignore it at your leisure, really.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#2 2007-11-13 08:41:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Flash Banner

Okay... return question:  Do the letters not appear clearly to you in big, bold black?

That's not a spotlight, it's a hurricane.  I'm guessing that you have the site set to show on a black background.  (This is something that did not occur to me when I designed it; that people have varying color sets.)  Were you able to read the small, red words that appear at the top of the banner?

I will consider how to create a version of this that works with a dark background, but since it won't be there ALL that long...  *shrugs*

Net Wolf

PS: Yes, this IS the right place to put the question.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2007-11-13 09:42:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I have created a second banner to be shown on the dark-themed pages.  It should be easier to read now, though the letters are still quite shadowy.  As I said, it won't be there for long.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2007-11-14 01:50:37

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

The answers, if a little bit late.  No, I couldn't see the letters at all originally with the dark theme loaded (as if you really expected me to not jump on the dark theme when it came around?  3dbig_smile )  I could see the red words fine, I just couldn't see the Mystic Wolf Pub text except when the (what sure looked like a spotlight to me since I couldn't/didn't see the eye in the middle, although I did get the wind noise... I think) came by and slowly illuminated the letters... backwards.  Hence my confusion.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#5 2007-11-14 02:33:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You got a wind noise?  Damn, I'm good... 'cause I didn't even try to add a wind noise!  3dbig_smile

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#6 2007-11-14 11:07:57

advancewar
Wasted

woosh 3dbig_smile

life=books

#7 2007-11-15 00:42:55

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Well... maybe there was last time but there wasn't this time.  Or it's just my imagination.  I've got a good one or something.  Pfft.  I give up.

Black Rose

Board footer